ANALYSIS OF PRESCRIPTION INDICATORS FOR OUTPATIENTS WITH HEALTH INSURANCE IN OUTPATIENTS DEPARTMENT AT CAN THO UNIVERSITY OF MEDICINE AND PHARMACY HOSPITAL IN THE PERIOD 2017-2018

  • Hung Phuc Nguyen Faculty of Pharmacy, Can Tho University of Medicine and Pharmacy, Can Tho city 900000, Vietnam,
  • Huong Vo Thi My Faculty of Pharmacy, Can Tho University of Medicine and Pharmacy, Can Tho city 900000, Vietnam,
  • Mai Nguyen Huynh Truc Cach mang thang 8 street, Cai Khe ward, Ninh Kieu district, Can Tho city, Vietnam

Abstract

Objective: The main objective of this study was to evaluate the drug prescription parameters and to find out the elements had an influence on the prescribing practice of doctors’.


Methods: A descriptive cross-sectional study was conducted to collect 300 outpatient drug prescriptions and 30 questionnaires of physicians during the period of 2017-2018. The data were analyzed according to WHO’s the guideline.


Results: Average number of drug per prescription: 3.73, percentage of drugs prescribed by generic or international name (INN): 100%, percentage of prescriptions with an antibiotic prescribed: 24%, of β-lactam antibiotics group, including cephalosporin (31.17%) and aminopenicillin (27.27%), accounted for the highest percentage of using in antibiotic groups with a total of 58.44%, of corticosteroid: 12%, of vitamin: 27.3%, of drugs prescribed including in the Essential Medicines List issued by the Ministry of Health: 35.3%. Average drug cost per prescription: 88,867 VNĐ. Percentage of drug costs for antibiotics (%): 7.48%, of corticosteroids (%): 1.85% and of vitamins (%): 5.25%.


Conclusion: The results of this research have identified some prescription indicators and elements affect the prescription indicators such as drug information, patient, drug, which may lead to intervention studies for evaluating changes in these issues in the outpatient clinic.

Keywords: Prescription, International name, Prescription indicators

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.

References

1. World Health Organization. Rational use of medicines. The World Medicines Situation Report; 2011.
2. The Ministry of Health. The judgment 4041/Q?-BYT to review the project Increasing the control of prescription and selling prescribed medicines in the period. Hanoi; 2017-2020.
3. Bashrahil KA. Indicators of rational drug use and health services in Hadramout, Yemen. Eastern Mediterranean Health J 2010;16:151-5.
4. Andrajati R, Tilaqza A, Supardi S. Factors related to rational antibiotic prescriptions in community health centers in Depok City, Indonesia. J Infection Public Health 2017;10:41-8.
5. World Health Organization. How to investigate Drug use in Health Facilities-Selected Drug use Indicator. EDM Research Series; 1993.
6. MS Akhtar, Divya Vohora. Drug prescribing practices in peadiatric department of a north Indian university teaching hospital. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2012;5 Suppl 1:146-9.
7. Balaji R, Sekkizhar M. An observational study of drug utilization pattern pharmacovigilance of antipsychotics. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2017;9 Suppl 6:56-62.
8. Tripti Rani Paul, Sumon Kumar Datta. Patterns of prescription and antibiotic use among outpatients in a tertiary care teaching hospital of Bangladesh. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8:60-3.
9. Khuong Huynh Tran Cong, Assessment of rational and safe prescriptions at the examination departments of district hospitals in can tho city in the period of 2016-2017, Can Tho University of Medicine and Pharmacy; 2017.
10. Durga P, Abhinav P, Varun Raj K, Kishore P. Evaluation of prescribing patterns using WHO Indicators at Out Patient Department of A Private Hospital in Warangal. IOSR J Pharm Biol Sci 2017;12:1-4.
11. University of Groningen. Indicators of quality use of medicines in South-East Asian countries: a systematic review. Tropical and International Health; 2012.
12. Kumar R, Bajaj JK, Sood M, Grewal N, Jassal B. To study prescription behaviour of the physician in regard to brand and a generic name. Int J Basic Clin Pharmacol 2016;5:1327-30.
13. Biswas K, Ferdousy UK. Influence of pharmaceutical marketing on prescription behavior of physicians: a cross-sectional study in Bangladesh. Journal of Accounting and Marketing 2016;5:160.
Statistics
152 Views | 97 Downloads
Citatons
How to Cite
Nguyen, H. P., H. Vo Thi My, and M. Nguyen Huynh Truc. “ANALYSIS OF PRESCRIPTION INDICATORS FOR OUTPATIENTS WITH HEALTH INSURANCE IN OUTPATIENTS DEPARTMENT AT CAN THO UNIVERSITY OF MEDICINE AND PHARMACY HOSPITAL IN THE PERIOD 2017-2018”. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Vol. 11, no. 7, May 2019, pp. 42-46, doi:10.22159/ijpps.2019v11i7.33168.
Section
Original Article(s)