Research Paper DESIGN, OPTIMIZATION AND EVALUATION OF EMPAGLIFLOZIN ORODISPERSIBLE TABLETS USING DIFFERENT SUPERDISINTEGRANTS
Objective: The objective of this study was to formulate orodispersible tablets containing empagliflozin by direct compression method with sufficient hardness and rapid disintegration time and to study the effect of functionality differences of super-disintegrants on the tablet properties.
Methods: A two factor three level factorial design (32) was used for the formulation optimization of orodispersible tablets of Empagliflozin and experimental trials were performed on all possible formulations, in which the amount of β-cyclodextrin, crospovidone and croscarmellose sodium were selected as independent variables (factor) varied at three different levels: low (-1), medium (0), and high (+1) levels. The drug release and disintegration time were used as dependent variables (response). All formulations were characterized for parameters such as diameter, hardness, weight, thickness, friability, disintegration time, drug release.
Results: Formulation FD6 having 30 sec disintegration time, 98.84% drug release after 30 min, 2.8 kg/cm2 hardness and 0.292% friability was found best among all formulations and selected as an optimized formulation with rapid onset of action and enhanced bioavailability (more than 98% drug release within 30 min.) as compared to the oral empagliflozin tablet.
Conclusion: Empagliflozin orodispersible tablets with different superdisintegrants were successfully prepared and formulation containing highest percentage of crospovidone was found best among all other formulations in terms of bioavailability and rapid onset of action.
2. Pallikonda AL, Bairam R, Motilal M, Kumar MS. Formulation and evaluation of mouth dissolving tablets. Sch Res Lib 2010;2:342-6.
3. Sharma D. Formulation development and evaluation of fast disintegrating tablets of salbutamol sulphate for respiratory disorders. ISRN Pharm 2013:1-8. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/ 2013/674507
4. Singh J, Philip AK, Pathak K. Optimization studies on design and evaluation of orodispersible pediatric formulation of indomethacin. AAPS PharmSciTech 2008;9:60-6.
5. Ghosh TK, Pfister WR. Drug delivery to the oral cavity: molecules to market. CRC Press: New York; 2005. p. 312-36.
6. Parkash V, Maan S, Deepika SKY, Hemlata VJ. Fast disintegrating tablets: Opportunity in drug delivery system. J Adv Pharm Technol Res 2011;2:223-35.
7. Aguilar Diaz JE, Garcia Montoya E, Perez Lozano P, Sune Negre JM, Minarro M, Tico JR. SeDeM expert system a new innovator tool to develop pharmaceutical forms. Drug Dev Ind Pharm 2014;40:222-36.
8. Macha S, Mattheus M, Pinnetti S, Seman L, Woerle HJ. Pharmacokinetics of empagliflozin, a sodium glucose cotransporter 2 inhibitor and glimepiride following coadministration in healthy volunteers: a randomized, open-lable, crossover study. J Diabetes Res Clin Metab 2012; 29:889-99.
9. Bi Y, Sunada H, Yonezawa Y, Danjo K, Otsuka A, Iida K. Preparation and evaluation of a compressed tablet rapidly disintegrating in the oral cavity. Chem Pharm Bull 1996;44:2121-7.
10. Seager H. Drug-deliver products and the zydis fast-dissolving dosage form. J Pharm Pharmacol 1998;50:375-82.
11. Aulton ME. Pharmaceutics: the science of dosage form design. 2nd ed. Churchill Livingstone; 2002. p. 358-9.
12. Kumar Suresh JN, Gunda RK. Design and formulation of pravastatin fast dissolving tablets. Pharm Methods 2008;9:15-22.
13. Shirsand SB, Suresh S. Formulation design and optimization of fast dissolving tablets. Indian J Pharm Sci 2009;71:567-72.
14. Samal HB, Debata. Solubility and dissolution improvement of aceclofenac using ?-cyclodextrin. Int J Drug Dev Res 2012; 4:326-33.
15. Rao SK, Udgirkar DB, Mule DD. Enhancement of dissolution rate and bioavailability of aceclofenac by complexation with cyclodextrin. Res J Pharm Biol Chem Sci 2010;1:142-51.
16. Zingone G, Rubessa F. Preformulation study of the inclusion complex warfarin-?cyclodextrin. Int J Pharm 2005;291:3-10.
17. Iswariya VT, Rao Prakash HA, Babu L, Rao SA. Formulation and evaluation of orodispersible tablets of saxagliptin. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2015;30:231.
18. Prasanthi NL, Manikiran SS, Rao RN. Formulation and characterization of fast dissolving tablets of raloxifene hydrochloride. Int J Pharm Sci Drug Res 2010;2:55-6.
19. Aulton ME. Pharmaceutics: The science of dosage form design. 2nd ed. Churchill Livingstone; 2002. p. 355-6.
20. Hrishav DP, Nath B. Formulation and evaluation of oral fast disintegrating tablet of ibuprofen using two super disintegrants. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2017;9:92-5.
21. Kumare MM, Marathe RP, Kawade RM, Ghante MH, Shendarkar GR. Design of fast dissolving tablet of atenolol using novel co-processed superdisintegrant. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2013; 6:81-5.
22. Venkatesh N, Spandana K, Sambamoorthy U, Suresh K. Formulation and evaluation of fast dispersible tablet of rosuvastatin using cyclodextrin complexation method. Int J Med Pharm Res 2014;2:785-93.
23. Kumar PA, Bikshapathi RN. Formulation and evaluation of fast dissolving tablets of rofumilast solid dispersion. World J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;4:1825-6.
24. Farshid A, Rama B, Gopal M, Nargund L. Formulation and evaluation of orodispersible tablets of zolmitriptan. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;7:127-34.
25. Sandeep DS, Charyulu RN, Prashant N. Comparative study of superdisintegrants using antiemetic drug as a model. NUJHS 2015;5:40-4.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.