METHOD DEVELOPMENT AND VALIDATION OF SELECTIVE AND HIGHLY SENSITIVE METHOD FOR DETERMINATION OF APIXABAN IN HUMAN PLASMA USING LIQUID CHROMATOGRAPHY-TANDEM MASS SPECTROMETRY
Objective: The present research work aims to develop and validate a selective and highly sensitive method for the determination of apixaban in human plasma using liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry (LC-MS/MS).
Methods: 200 µl of sodium heparin plasma samples were acidified and clean-up was performed by using solid-phase extraction (SPE). Apixaban 13C D3 was used as an internal standard (deuterated) to lower the relative matrix effects and a single step SPE was employed for sample clean up. 10 µl of SPE eluent was loaded onto Hypersil Beta Basic C18, 100×4.6 mm, 5 µ column for highly selective chromatographic separation using an isocratic mobile phase. 2 mmol ammonium acetate in water and acetonitrile were delivered by using a quaternary low-pressure gradient pump without premixing at a minimum flow rate of 0.50 ml/min.
Results: LC-MS/MS method was successfully developed and validated to demonstrate the lowest detection limit of 0.05 ng/ml and a linear dynamic range from 1-250 ng/ml with r2>0.99. Method development and validation results proved that the method is selective and highly sensitive for the determination of apixaban in human plasma using LC-MS/MS.
Conclusion: Current method can be applied for both therapeutic drug monitoring (TDM) and pharmacokinetic (PK) study analysis.
2. Charles Frost, Sunil Nepal, Jessie Wang, Alan Schuster, Wonkyung Byon, Rebecca A Boyd, et al. Safety, pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of multiple oral doses of apixaban, a factor Xa inhibitor, in healthy subjects. Br J Clin Pharmacol 2013;76:776–86.
3. Wan-li Zhang, Dan Lou, Dong-Tao Zhang, Yin Zhang, Huan-Jie Huang. Determination of rivaroxaban, apixaban and edoxaban in rat plasma by UPLC–MS/MS method. J Thromb Thrombolysis 2016;42:205–11.
4. Sofia Lindahl, Roar Dyrkorn, Olav Spigset, Solfrid Hegstad. Quantification of apixaban, dabigatran, edoxaban, and rivaroxaban in human serum by UHPLC-MS/MS-method development, validation, and application. Ther Drug Monit 2018;40:369-76.
5. Ludek Slavik, Jiri Lukes, David Friedecky, Monika Zhanelova, Marketa Nemcova, Jana Ulehlova, et al. Multianalyte determination of NOACs using LC-MS/MS and comparison with functional coagulation assays. Clin Lab (Mainz, Ger) 2018;64:1611-21.
6. Sara Baldelli, Dario Cattaneo, Pasquale Pignatelli, Valentina Perrone, Daniele Pastori, Sonia Radice, et al. Validation of an LC–MS/MS method for the simultaneous quantification of dabigatran, rivaroxaban and apixaban in human plasma. Bioanalysis 2016;8:275-83.
7. Janice Pursley, Jim X Shen, Alan Schuster, Oanh T Dang, Jim Lehman, Michael H Buonarati, et al. LC-MS/MS determination of apixaban (BMS-562247) and its major metabolite in human plasma: an application of polarity switching and monolithic HPLC column. Bioanalysis 2014;6:2071-82.
8. Mirza Layeeq Ahmed Baig, Syed Ayaz Ali. A validated LC-MS/MS method for the estimation of apixaban in human plasma. J Appl Pharm Sci 2017;7:44-52.
9. Blaich C, Müller C, Michels G, Wiesen MH. Multi-analyte analysis of non-vitamin K antagonist oral anticoagulants in human plasma using tandem mass spectrometry. Clin Chem Lab Med 2015;53:1981-90.
10. Delavenne X, Mismetti P, Basset T. Rapid determination of apixaban concentration in human plasma by liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometry: application to pharmacokinetic study. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2013;78–79:150-3.
11. Gous T, Couchman L, Patel JP, Paradzai C, Arya R, Flanagan RJ. Measurement of the direct oral anticoagulants apixaban, dabigatran, edoxaban, and rivaroxaban in human plasma using turbulent flow liquid chromatography with high-resolution mass spectrometry. Ther Drug Monit 2014;36:597-605.
12. Schmitz EM, Boonen K, Van den Heuvel DJ, Van Dongen JL, Schellings MW, Emmen JM, et al. Determination of dabigatran, rivaroxaban and apixaban by ultra?performance liquid chromatography–tandem mass spectrometry (UPLC?MS/MS) and coagulation assays for therapy monitoring of novel direct oral anticoagulants. J Thromb Haemostasis 2014;12:1636-46.
13. Tilea Ioan, Popa Daniela Saveta, Timea Szakacs, Primejdie Daniela, Grigorescu Bianca, Tilea Brindusa, et al. Determination of apixaban levels in human plasma by a high-throughput liquid chromatographic tandem mass spectrometry assay. Romanian J Laboratory Med 2015;23:115-26.
14. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Bioanalytical Method Validation, Guidance for Industry. U. S. department of Health and Human Services Food and Drug Administration; 2018. p. 1-41.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.