A NEW VALIDATED THIRD ORDER DERIVATIVE SPECTROSCOPIC METHOD FOR SIMULTANEOUS ESTIMATION OF METOPROLOL SUCCINATE AND RAMIPRIL IN TABLET DOSAGE FORM
Objective: The objective of the present work is to develop and validate a new UV derivative spectrophotometric method for simultaneous estimation of metoprolol succinate and ramipril in methanol: water (50:50v/v).
Methods: “Zero crossing technique” was chosen for quantitative determination. The zero-crossing points (ZCP’s) were found to be 209 nm where metoprolol succinate was quantified and 211 nm where ramipril was quantified. This method was then subjected to accuracy, linearity, sensitivity and reproducibility according to ICH guidelines to ensure and confirm its validity.
Results: The method was found to be obeying Beer’s law in the range of 10-50 µg/ml and 5-25 µg/ml for metoprolol succinate and ramipril, respectively. The % recoveries were observed between the range of 99.2-100.2 for metoprolol succinate and 99.57-99.86 for ramipril. The intra-day and inter-day results showed reproducibility.
Conclusion: It can be concluded that the developed third-order UV derivative spectroscopic method for the simultaneous determination of metoprolol succinate and ramiprilcan be recommended for routine quantitative analysis.
2. Ripley TL, Joseph JS. ?-blockers: a review of their pharmacological and physiological diversity in hypertension. Ann Pharmacother 2014;48:723-33.
3. Todd PA, Benfield P. Ramipril. Drugs 1990;39:110-35.
4. Theres HP, Wagner KD, Romberg D, Feig C, Strube S, Leiterer KP, et al. Combined treatment with ramipril and metoprolol prevents changes in the creatine kinase isoenzyme system and improves hemodynamic function in rat hearts after myocardial infarction. Cardiovasc Drug Ther 2000;14:597-606.
5. Varaprasad C, Ramakrishna K. Gradient RP-HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of metoprolol, ramipril and atorvastatin in tablet dosage form. Rasayan J Chem 2015;8:404-10.
6. Krishna KP, Prabhu PP, Chethan SH. Development and validation of new analytical methods for simultaneous estimation of ramipril and metoprolol succinate by HPLC method in combined tablet dosage form. Int J Pharm Chem Res 2017;3:746-55.
7. Phale MD, Hamrapurkar PD. A validated and simplified RP-HPLC of metoprolol succinate from bulk drugs. Asian J Res Chem 2009;2:119-22.
8. Mohammad Y, Gowri SD. A new validated stability-indicating LC method for simultaneous determination of metoprolol succinate and ramipril in pharmaceutical marketed formulation. Der Pharm Lett 2015;7:82-92.
9. Raja KS, Makarand MD, Veera RT, Deepa K, Venugopala RD, Ivon EC. Simultaneous quantitative determination of metoprolol, atorvastatin and ramipril in capsules by a validated stability-indicating RP-UPLC method. Sci Pharm 2010;78:821-34.
10. Moreshwar KN, Rajeshwar KV, Dinesh SM. Development and validation of a spectrophotometric method for determination of metoprolol succinate. Int J ChemTech Res 2009;1:1273-7.
11. Al-Majed AA, Belal F, Al-Warthan AA. Spectrophotometric determination of ramipril (a novel ACE inhibitor) in dosage forms. Spectrosc Lett 2001;34:211-20.
12. Patel HB, Patel BA, Parmar SJ. Development and validation of second order derivative spectrophotometric method for simultaneous estimation of atenolol and nifedipine in combined dosage form. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2013;4:3884-8.
13. Gadiya H, Maheshwari M, Dashora A. UV-analytical method development and validation for simultaneous estimation of dapoxetine hydrochloride and sildenafil citrate in tablet dosage form. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2019;12:328-31.
14. ICH guideline, Q2 (R1). Validation of analytical procedures: Text and methodology, international conference on harmonization IFPMA, Geneva, Switzerland; 2005.
15. Sethy K, Rao JR, Rajeswari KR, Nagoji KEV. Validated HPTLC method for simultaneous estimation of metoprolol succinate and ramipril in bulk drug and marketed formulation. Bull Pure Appl Sci Chem 2019;38:150-7.
16. Sawant RL, Raskar MA, Sawant MR, Ahmed R, Pawar S. Simultaneous spectrophotometric estimation of metoprolol succinate, atorvastatin calcium and ramipril in the tablet dosage form. Anal Chem Lett 2012;2:320-6.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.