SYNTHESIS OF SOME 2,3-DIHYDRO-1,3,4-OXADIAZOLES AND 4,5-DIHYDRO-1,2,4-TRIAZOLES AS ANTICANCER AGENTS
Objective: The main objective of this work was to synthesize and evaluate the novel 2,3-dihydro-1,3,4-oxadiazole and 4,5-dihydro-1,2,4-triazole derivatives for cytotoxic activities.
Methods: The 2,3-dihydro-1,3,4-oxadiazole derivatives 4a-h were synthesized by cyclization of N'-(substituted-benzylidene) isonicotinohydrazide 3a-e in refluxing acetic anhydride. The 2,3-dihydro-1,3,4-oxadiazole derivatives 4a-h were converted into the corresponding 4,5-dihydro-1,2,4-triazoles 5a-h using ammonia. All the synthesized compounds were identified, depending on the physical and spectral data. Title compounds were assessed for their cytotoxic activity against human cancer cell line (MCF-7) by using Sulforhodamine B (SRB) colorimetric assay.
Results: All the synthesized compounds showed characteristic peaks in FTIR, 1HNMR and Mass spectral analysis. The results of the in vitro cytotoxic activity revealed that the compound 4c exhibited equipotent cytotoxic activity with an IC50 value of 8.04 µM when compared with that of standard drug doxorubicin (IC50= 8.02 µM). The reminder compounds have shown good to moderate cytotoxic activities when compared with that of a reference standard.
Conclusion: We synthesized a series of title compounds in quantitative yields. Most derivatives showed moderate to good cytotoxic activity.
2. Ahmed MN, Sadiq B, Al-Masoudi NA, Yasin KA, Hameed S, Mahmood T, et al. Synthesis, crystal structures, computational studies and antimicrobial activity of new designed bis((5-aryl-1,3,4-oxadiazol-2-yl)thio)alkanes. J Mol Struct 2018;1155:403-13.
3. Singhai A, Gupta MK. Synthesis, characterization and biological evaluation of substituted 1,3,4-oxadiazole derivative: derived from ciprofloxacin. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2019;12:205-9.
4. Verma G, Chashoo G, Ali A, Khan MF, Akhtar W, Ali I, et al. Synthesis of pyrazole acrylic acid-based oxadiazole and amide derivatives as antimalarial and anticancer agents. Bioorg Chem 2018;77:106-24.
5. Abd-Ellah HS, Abdel-Aziz M, Shoman ME, Beshr EAM, Kaoud TS, Ahmed ASFF. New1,3,4-oxadiazole/oxime hybrids: design, synthesis, anti-inflammatory, cox inhibitory activities and ulcerogenic liability. Bioorg Chem 2017;74:15-29.
6. Bijander K, Raj V, Kumar A, Singh V. Anti-inflammatory activity of 1, 3, 4-oxadiazole derivatives compound. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2012;4:9-14.
7. Tantray MA, Khan I, Hamid H, Alam MS, Dhulap A, Kalam A. Synthesis of benzimidazole linked-1,3,4-oxadiazole carboxamides as GSK-3 inhibitors with in vivo antidepressant activity. Bioorg Chem 2018;77:393-401.
8. Yadagiri B, Gurrala S, Bantu R, Nagarapu L, Polepalli S, Srujana G, et al. Synthesis and evaluation of benzosuberone embedded with 1,3,4-oxadiazole, 1,3,4-thiadiazole and 1,2,4-triazole moieties as new potential anti-proliferative agents. Bioorg Med Chem Lett 2015;25:2220-4.
9. Singh J, Rajapandi R, Maity TK. Evaluation of anticancer activity of some 1,3,4-oxadiazole derivatives against Ehrlich ascites carcinoma bearing mice. Asian J Chem 2010;22:4099-103.
10. Manjunatha K, Poojary B, Lobo PL, Fernandes J, Kumari NS. Synthesis and biological evaluation of some 1,3,4-oxadiazole derivatives. Eur J Med Chem 2010;45:5225-33.
11. Hajimahdi Z, Zarghi A, Zabihollahi R, Aghasadeghi MR. Synthesis, biological evaluation, and molecular modeling studies of new 1,3,4-oxadiazole-and 1,3,4-thiadiazole substituted 4-oxo-4H-pyrido[1-a]pyrimidines as anti-HIV-1 agents. Med Chem Res 2013;22:2467-75.
12. Xu WM, Li SZ, He M, Yang S, Li XY, Li P. Synthesis and bioactivities of novel thioether/sulfone derivatives containing 1,2,3-thiadiazole and 1,3,4-oxadiazole/thiadiazole moiety. Bioorg Med Chem Lett 2013;23:5821-4.
13. Naga Sudha B, Sridhara C, Girija Sastry C, Reddy YSR, Sreevidya O, Lavanya S, et al. Synthesis, characterization and anthelmintic activity of 3-(4-acetyl-5-phenyl-4,5-dihydro-1,3,4-oxadiazol-2-yl)-2H-chromen-2-one derivatives. Indian J Chem 2013;52B:422-7.
14. Patel K, Jayachandran E, Shah R, Javali V, Sreenivasa GM. Synthesis, characterization and anthelmintic activity (perituma posthuma) of new oxadiazole incorporated with imidazole and pyrazole. Int J Pharm Bio Sci 2010;1:1-13.
15. Akhtar MJ, Siddiqui AA, Khan AA, Ali Z, Dewangan RP, Pasha S, et al. Design, synthesis, docking and qsar study of substituted benzimidazole linked oxadiazole as cytotoxic agents, EGFR and ErbB2 receptor inhibitors. Eur J Med Chem 2017;126:853-69.
16. Sun J, Zhu H, Yang ZM, Zhu HL. Synthesis, molecular modeling and biological evaluation of 2-aminomethyl-5-(quinolin-2-yl)-1,3,4-oxadiazole-2(3H)-thione quinolone derivatives as a novel anticancer agent. Eur J Med Chem 2013;60:23-8.
17. Mosmann T. Rapid colorimetric assay for cellular growth and survival: application to proliferation and cytotoxicity assays. J Immunol Methods 1983;65:55-63.
18. Yadav N, Kumar P, Chhikara A, Chopra M. Development of 1,3,4-oxadiazole thione based novel anticancer agents: design, synthesis and in vitro studies. Biomed Pharmacother 2017;95:721-30.
19. He X, Li XY, Liang JW, Cao C, Li S, Zhang TJ, et al. Design, synthesis and anticancer activities evaluation of novel 5H-dibenzo[b,e]azepine-6,11-dione derivatives containing 1,3,4-oxadiazole units. Bioorganic Med Chem Lett 2018;28:847-52.
20. Cai ZW, Wei D, Borzilleri RM, Qian L, Kamath A, Mortillo S, et al. Synthesis, SAR and evaluation of 4-[2,4-difluoro-5-(cyclopropylcarbamoyl) phenylamino]pyrrolo[2,1-f][1,2,4]triazine based VEGFR-2 kinase inhibitors. Bioorganic Med Chem Lett 2008;18:1354-8.
21. Haque SU, Dashwood MR, Heetun M, Shiwen X, Farooqui N, Ramesh B, et al. Efcacy of the specic endothelin a receptor antagonist zibotentan (ZD4054) in colorectal cancer: a preclinical study. Mol Cancer Ther 2013;12:1556-67.
22. Abou Seri SM. Synthesis and biological evaluation of novel 2,4-bis substituted diphenylamines as anticancer agents and potential epidermal growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitors. Eur J Med Chem 2010;45:4113-21.
23. Valente S, Trisciuoglio D, De Luca T, Nebbioso A, Labella D, Lenoci A, et al. 1,3,4-Oxadiazole containing histone deacetylase inhibitors: anticancer activities in cancer cells. J Med Chem 2014;57:6259-65.
24. Sun J, Li MH, Qian SS, Guo FJ, Dang XF, Wang XM, et al. Synthesis and antitumor activity of 1,3,4-oxadiazole possessing 1,4-benzodioxan moiety as a novel class of potent methionine aminopeptidase type III inhibitors. Bioorganic Med Chem Lett 2013;23:2876-9.
25. Zhang YB, Wang XL, Liu W, Yang YS, Tang JF, Zhu HL. Design, synthesis and biological evaluation of heterocyclic azoles derivatives containing pyrazine moiety as potential telomerase inhibitors. Bioorganic Med Chem 2012;20:6356-65.
26. Khan KM, Rani M, Ambreen N, Ali M, Hussain S, Perveen S, et al. 2,5-Disubstituted-1,3,4-oxadiazoles: thymidine phosphorylase inhibitors. Med Chem Res 2013;22:6022-8.
27. Du QR, Li DD, Pi YZ, Li JR, Sun J, Fang F, et al. Novel 1,3,4-oxadiazole thioether derivatives targeting thymidylate synthase as dual anticancer/antimicrobial agents. Bioorganic Med Chem 2013;21:2286-97.
28. Bekircana O, Kucuka M, Kahvecib B, Bektasa H. Synthesis and anticancer evaluation of some new 4-amino-3-(p-methoxybenzyl)-4,5-dihydro-1,2,4-triazole-5-one derivatives. Z Naturforsch 2008;63b:1305-14.
29. Christov K, Shilkaitis A, Green A, Mehta RG, Grubbs C, Kelloff G, et al. Cellular responses of mammary carcinomas to aromatase inhibitors: effect of vorozole. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2000;60:117-28.
30. Delea TE, El-Ouagari K, Karnon J, Sofrygin O. Cost effectiveness of letrozole versus tamoxifen as initial adjuvant therapy in postmenopausal women with hormone-receptor positive early breast cancer from a candian perspective. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2008;108:375-87.
31. Kurosumi M, Takatsuka Y, Watanabe T, Imoto S, Inaji H, Tsuda H, et al. Histopathological assessment of anastrozole and tamoxifen as preoperative (neoadjuvant) treatment in postmenopausal Japanese women with hormone-receptor positive breast cancer in the proact trial. J Cancer Res Clin 2008;134:715-22.
32. Stephane P, Sook WY, Martyn J, Michael PC, Claire S. Synthesis and CYP26A1 inhibitory activity of 1-[benzofuran-2-yl-(4-alkyl/aryl-phenyl)-methyl]-1H-triazoles. Bioorg Med Chem 2006;14:3643-53.
33. Holla BS, Veerendra B, Shivananda MK, Boja P. Synthesis characterization and anticancer activity studies on some mannich bases derived from 1,2,4-triazoles. Eur J Med Chem 2003;38:759-67.
34. Bekircan O, Kahveci B, Kucuk M. Synthesis and anticancer evalution of some new unsymmetrical 3,5-diaryl-4H-1,2,4-triazole derivatives. Turk J Chem 2006;30:29-40.
35. Genc M, Genc ZK, Tekin S, Sandal S, Sirajuddin M, Hadda TB, Sekerci M. Design, synthesis, in vitro antiproliferative activity, binding modeling of 1,2,4,-triazoles as new anti-breast cancer agents. Acta Chim Slov 2016;63:726-37.
36. Skehan P, Storeng R, Scudiero D, Monks A, McMahon J, Vistica D, et al. New colorimetric cytotoxicity assay for anticancer drug screening. J Natl Cancer Inst 1990;82:1107-12.
37. Maccioni E, Alcaro S, Cirilli R, Vigo S, Cardia MC, Sanna ML, et al. 3-Acetyl-2,5-diaryl-2,3-dihydro-1,3,4-oxadiazoles: a new scaffold for the selective inhibition of monoamine oxidase B. J Med Chem 2011;54:6394-8.
38. Alam MS, Lee DU. Synthesis, biological evaluation, drug-likeness, and in silico screening of novel benzylidene hydrazone analogues as small molecule anticancer agents. Arch Pharm Res 2016;39:191-201.
39. Desai NC, Trivedi A, Somani H, Jadeja KA, Vaja D, Nawale L, et al. Synthesis, biological evaluation, and molecular docking study of pyridine clubbed 1,3,4-oxadiazoles as potential antituberculars. Synth Commun 2018. Doi:10.1080/00397911.2017.1410892.
40. Arora PK, Mittal A, Kaur G, Chauhan A. Synthesis of some novel oxadiazole based chalcone derivatives as anti-bacterial agents. IJPSR 2013;4:419-24.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.