EFFECT OF MENTHA PIPERATA IN EXPERIMENTAL PROSTATIC HYPERPLASIA IN WISTAR ALBINO RATS
Objective: To investigate the protective efficacy ofÂ Mentha piperataÂ in experimental benign prostatic hyperplasia in Wistar albino rats.
Methods: Benign hyperplasia of prostate was induced by subcutaneous injection of testosterone (5mg/kg) daily for 28 days. Rats were divided into five groups (six rats each). A negative control group received subcutaneous arachis oil (1 ml/kg),Â Four groups were injected testosterone and divided into reference group (finasteride 1mg/kg), modelgroup(testosterone), study group A (M. piperata200mg/kg) and study group B (M. piperataÂ 400mg/kg). On day 29, rats were sacrificed and body weight, prostate weight, bladder weight, testes weight, serum testosterone and total protein in prostate were measured and histopathological studies carried out. All results were expressed as mean Â± SEM. Data were analysed by one-way analysis of variance followed by Tukeyâ€™spost hoc test.
Results: M. piperata(400mg/kg) significantly inhibited prostate growth and total protein content(P <0.05). The extract did not have significant effect on serum testosterone level, weight of testes and bladder. Histopathological analysis of prostate gland correlated with the above results.
Conclusion: Beneficial effects ofÂ M piperataÂ in various common ailments have been proven through various studies. The findings of this study suggest a possible beneficial effect ofÂ Menthapiperata in the prevention of benign hyperplasia of prostate.
2. Kirby R. Improving lower urinary tract symptoms in BPH. Practitioner 2011;255:15-9.
3. Stroup SP, Palazzi-Churas K, Kopp RP, Parsons JK. Trends in adverse events of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). B J U Int 2012;109:84-7.
4. Muramatsu I, Oshita M, Ohmura T, Kigoshi S, Akino H, Gobara M et al. Pharmacological characterization of of alpha 1-adrenoceptor subtypes in the human prostate: functional and binding studies. Br J Urol 1994;74:572-8.
5. Oelke M, Kuczyk MA, Herrmann TR. Medikamentose therapie der benignen prostatahyperplasie. Urologe 2009;48:1365-77.
6. Gupta RS, S Rakhi. A Review of medicinal plants exhibiting antifertility activity in males. Nat Prod Radiance 2006;5(5):389-410.
7. M Akdogan, M Ozguner, A Kocak. Effects of peppermint teas on plasma testosterone, follicle-stimulating hormone and luteinizing hormone levels and testicular tissue in rats. Urol 2004;64(2):394-8.
8. Veeresh Babu SV, Veeresh B, Patil AA, Warkr YB. Lauric acid and myristic acid prevent testosterone induced prostatic hyperplasia in rats. Eur J Pharmacol 2010;626:262-5.
9. Sun H, Li T J, Sun LN, Qiu Y. Inhibitory effect of traditional Chinese medicine ZiShen Pill on benign prostatic hyperplasia in rats. J Ethnopharmacol 2008;115:203-8.
10. Shrivastava A, Gupta VB. Various treatment options for benign prostatic hyperplasia: a current update. J Mid-Life Health 2012;3(1):10-9.