FORMULATION AND EVALUATION OF SUSTAINED RELEASE TABLETS OF PENTOXIFYLLINE USING OKRA EXTRACT AS A NOVEL RETARDANT
Objectives: Okra (Abelmoschus Esculentus) is one of the world wide distributed plants used mostly as a food in most civilizations, its fruit characterized by sticky materials tears from it upon fruit cutting, this sticky material could be beneficial in matrix formation and sustained release tablets formulation.
Methods: Fresh okra was collected and macerated in different extracting systems in variable ratios. The extracts were dried and collected. Selected extracts were granulated and compressed into tablets using the tablet machine. The formulated tablets were characterized in terms of hardness, friability disintegration and other gross findings, Extract from HCl and NaoH (OE 7 and8) were selected to prepare SR tablet of pentoxifylline (PTX); the same tests were performed in addition to measure the rate of PTX release from the tablet over ten hours.
Results: Results obtained shows a promising retardation polymer as the tablets has an elegant shape and texture without chips or cracks, and not friable (FHCl 1loses 0.03 % of its weight after friability testing), tablet strength is acceptable since tablets resist breaking strength more than 200 Newtons, in addition, time needed for tablet disintegration about 175 minutes as found in F NaoH 3. Fortunately, the prepared tablets show a slow release of PTX following zero order kinetic (90 % released in eight hours in a constant rate about 10% per hour).
Conclusions: These results show the emerging of novel retardant for SR preparation obtained from natural plant okra.
2. Raheem S, Hussein A, Abbas H, Matrood M, Azeez O. Effect of method of preparation on physical properties of ciprofloxacin HCl elastic liposomes intended to be utilized in treatment of Acne vulgaris. Int J Pharm Res Ayurveda 2013;4:742-6.
3. Kibbe AH. Handbook of pharmaceutical excipients. Pharmaceutical Press: Washington, DC USA; 2000. p. 102-9.
4. S Sasidharan, Y Chen, D Saravanan, KM Sundram, L Yoga Latha. Extraction, Isolation and characterization of bioactive compounds from plants' extracts. Afr J Tradit Complementary Altern Med 2011;8(1):1â€“10.
6. Ankit Gupta, Madhu Naraniwal, Vijay Kothari. Modern extraction methods for preparation of bioactive plant extract. Int J Appl Nat Sci 2012;1:1 8-26.
7. Dask, Tiwari R, hrivastava DK. Techniques for evaluation of medicinal plant products as antimicrobial agent: current methods act future trends. J Med Plant Res 2010;4(2):104-11.
8. R Chauhan D. Vegetable Production in India. 3rd ed. Ram Prasad and Sons. Agra; 1972.
9. R. International Board for Plant Genetic Resources. Report on International Workshop on Okra Genetic resources held at the National bureau for Plant Genetic Resources: New Delhi, India; 1990.
10. Katzung, BG. Basic and Clinical Pharmacology; 1990. p. 470-80.
11. Ahmed H Hussien, Yehia I Khalil. Some variables affecting the formulation of pentoxifylline (PTX) as a solid sustained release dosage form. Iraqi J Pharm Sci 2008;17(1): 1-6.
12. SN Jadhav, VT Aparadh, AS Bhoite. Plant extract using rot of ginger for mangment of storage SATARA TAHSIL. Int J Phytopharm Res 2013;4(2):xx-xx.
13. Oyeniyi YJ, Acho MA. Comparative pharmaceutical evaluation of amlodipine tablets regestered in nigeria by nafdac and marketed by various pharmaceutical companies nationwide. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2011;3:5.
14. Wei He, Yongji Li, Rao Zhang, Zhannan Wu, Lifang Yi. Gastro-floating bilayer tablets for the sustained release of metformin and immediate release of pioglitazone: preparation and in vitro/in vivo evaluation. Int J Pharm 2014;476:1-2, 223-31.
15. US Pharmacopeia National Formulary USP 23/NF 18. United States Pharmacopeial Convention. Inc., Rockville, MD; 1995.
16. EO Aluyor, IO Oboh. Preservatives | Traditional Preservativesâ€“Vegetable Oils. Encyclopedia Food Microbiol 2014;137-40.
17. Hayder K Abbas, Ienas F Ahmed H Hussein, Mohammed D Al-yousuf, Dhurgham Q Shaheed. Preparation and in-vitro evaluation of metoprolol tartrate proniosomal gel. Kerbala J Pharm Sci 2013;6:153-63.
18. Lachman L, Leiberman H, Kang J. The Theory and Practice of Industrial Pharmacy. Lea and Febiger, Philladelphia; 1986.
19. Reshma R Patil, Pranita T Gaikwad, MA Bhutkar. Design, Development and evaluation of sustained release tablets of pentoxifylline. World J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;3(3)1758-72.
20. J Cantoni. Formulation and Evaluation of sustained release tablets containing antioxidents. Bull Pharm Sci 2010;33(1):9-18.
21. Anoop Kumar, Pankaj Kumar Sharma, Asghar Ali. HPMC/CMC based fast dissolvable oral films of an anxiolytic: in vitro drug release and texture analysis. Int J Drug Delivery 2013;5:344-52.