EFFICACY OF BINARY COMBINATION OF DELTAMETHRIN+MGK-264 ON LEVELS OF BIOCHEMICAL CHANGES IN THE SNAIL LYMNAEA ACUMINATA
Objective: The objective of the present study is the evaluation of the effect of the sublethal (40% and 60% of 48h LC50) binary combination (1:5 ratios) of molluscicides deltamethrin+MGK-264 on the endogenous levels of protein, amino acid and nucleic acid in different tissues of snail Lymnaea acuminata.
Methods: The snails were treated with 1:5 mixtures of sub-lethal concentration of (40% and 60% of 48h LC50) deltamethrin+MGK-264 on the protein, amino acid and nucleic acid levels in gonadal, nervous and foot tissue of L. acuminata. In order to study the effect of withdrawal from treatment, the snails were first exposed to the above concentrations for 96h, after which they were transferred to freshwater. Water was changed every 24h for the next seven days, after which different biochemical parameters were estimated.
Results: There was a significant change in the levels of protein (sublethal concentration of 60% of 48h LC50 after 96h) gonadal, nervous and foot tissues are 48.1, 12.1 and 14.5%, respectively, amino acid are 273, 234 and 252%, respectively, DNA are 25.1, 38.9 and 42.1%, respectively and RNA are 12.2, 30.7 and 30.5%, respectively. These changes were time and concentration-dependent. In the withdrawal experiment, the snails were treated for 96h to transfer in freshwater for 7 d, which caused significant recovery in all the biochemical parameters.
Conclusion: The present study concluded that the high molluscicidal activity of deltamethrin+MGK-264 simultaneous decrease in the levels of proteins, DNA, RNA and increase in the level of amino acids.
2. Singh P, Singh VK, Singh DK. Effect of binary combination of some plant-derived molluscicides with MGK-264 or piperonyl butoxide on the reproduction of the snail Lymnaea acuminata. J Pest Manag 2005;61:204-8.
3. Kumar P, Singh DK. Molluscicidal activity of Ferula asafoetida, Syzygium aromaticum and Carum carvi and their active components against the snail Lymnaea acuminata. Chemosphere 2006;63:1568-74.
4. Singh RN, Kumar P, Singh VK, Singh DK. Effect of binary combination of deltamethrin+MGK-264 on the levels of phospholipid and lipid peroxidation in the snail Lymnaea acuminata. Chemosphere 2008;73:1032-5.
5. Kumar P, Sunita K, Singh VK, Singh DK. Fecundity, hatchability and survival of Indoplanorbis exustus fed to bait containing attractant and molluscicides. New York Sci J 2014;7:1-5.
6. Kumar P, Sunita K, Singh DK. In vitro activity of different phytochemicals in binary combinations against Fasciola gigantica. Curr Life Sci 2016;2:58-63.
7. Kumar P, Sunita K, Singh DK. Efficacy of Potentilla fulgens root powder and their different organic extract against fresh water vector snail Lymnaea acuminata. Asian J Anim Vet Adv 2018;13:30-4.
8. Kumar P, Sunita K, Singh RN, Singh DK. Fascioliasis: a fluke infection is a food-borne parasitic zoonosis and control their vectors. Int J Biol Med Res 2020;11:6982-9.
9. Shafer TJ, Meyer DA, Crofton KM. Developmental neurotoxicity of pyrethroid insecticides: critical review and future research needs. Environ Health Perspect 2005;113:123-36.
10. Schettgen T, Heudorf U, Drexler H, Angerer J. Pyrethroid exposure of the general population is this due to diet. Toxicol Lett 2002;134:141-5.
11. Whyatt RM, Camann DE, Kinney PI, Reyes A, Ramirez J, Dietrich J, et al. Residential pesticide use during pregnancy among a cohort of urban minority women. Environ Health Perspect 2002;110:507-14.
12. Berkowitz GS, Obel J, deych E, Lapinski R, Godbold J, Liu Z. Exposure to indoor pesticides during pregnancy in a multiethnic, urban cohort. Environ Health Perspect 2003;111:97-84.
13. Heudorf U, Angerer J, Drexler H. Current internal exposure to pesticides in children and adolescents in germany: urinary levels of metabolites of parathyroid and organophosphorus insecticides. Int Arch Occup Environ Health 2004;77:67-72.
14. Agarwal RA, Singh DK. Harmful gastropods and their control. Acta Hydrochim Hydrobio 1988;16:113-38.
15. Kaneko H, Miyamoto J. Pyrethroid chemistry and metabolism. In: Handbook of pesticide and Toxicology. Vol. 2. Agents (Krieger R, Doull J, Ecobichon D. eds) San Diago, Academic Press; 2001. p. 1263-8.
16. Soderlund DM, Clark JM, Sheets LP, Mullin LS, Piccirillo VJ, Sargent D, et al. Mechanisms of pyrethroid neurotoxicity: implications for cumulative risk assessment. Toxicology 2002;171:3-59.
17. Ruzo LO, Unai T, Casida JE. Deltamethrin metabolism in rats. J Agric Food Chem 1978;26:918-25.
18. Reed WT, Ehmann A, Lee PW, Barber GF, Bishop JL. The fate and impact of Pydrin insecticide (Fenvalerate) on the non-target system following field application. In J Miyamoto, PC Kearney. (eds) Pesticide chemistry: human welfare and the environment. Vol. 2. Pergamon Press London and New York; 1983. p. 372.
19. Wolansky MJ, Gennings C, Crofton KM. Relative potencies for acute effects of pyrethroids on motor function in rats. Toxicol Sci 2006;89:271-7.
20. Matsumura F. Toxicology of insecticides. 2nd. Plenum Press: New York; 1985.
21. Singh DK, Agarwal RA. Piperonyl butoxide synergism with two synthetic pyrethroids against Lymnaea acuminata. Chemosphere 1986;15:493-8.
22. Singh RN, Agarwal RA. Effects of deltamethrin on levels of phospholipid and lipid peroxidation in the snail Lymnaea acuminata. Malays Appl Biol 1996;25:1-5.
23. Singh DK, Agarwal RA. Toxicity of piperonyl butoxide-carbaryl synergism on the snail Lymnaea acuminata. Int Rev Gesamten Hydrobiol 1989;74:689-99.
24. Sahay N, Agarwal RA. MGK-264 pyrethroid synergism against Lymnaea acuminata. Chemosphere 1997;35:1011-21.
25. Lowry OH, Rosenbrough NJ, Farr AL, Randall RJ. Protein measurement with folin phenol reagents. J Biol Chem 1951;193:265-75.
26. Spies JR. Colorimetric procedure for amino acids. In: Methods in enzymology. (Ed.) SP Colowick, NO Kaplan. Academic Press; 1957. p. 464.
27. Schneider WC. Determination of nucleic acid in the tissue pentose analysis. In: Method in Enzymology. (Ed.) SP Colowick, NO Kaplan. Academic Press; 1957. p. 680.
28. Sokal RR, Rohlf FJ. Introduction to biostatistics, freeman, W. H. San Franscisco; 1973. p. 368.
29. Sahay N, Singh DK, Agarwal RA. Synergistic effect of piperonyl butoxide on the toxicity of synthetic pyrethroid in snail Lymnaea (Radix) acuminata. J Med Appl Malacol 1991;3:107-11.
30. Singh RN, Singh DK. Biochemical changes in the Lymnaea acuminata and Channa striatus. Lap Lambert Academic Publishing; 2020. p. 144.
31. Lehninger A, Davis L, Nelson Michael M. Cox. In: Principles of biochemistry. 2nd Ed. CBS Publication and Distributors; 1993.
32. Singh RN, Kumar P, Singh VK, Singh DK. Toxic effects of deltamethrin on the levels of biochemical changes in the snail Lymnaea acuminata. J Pharm Res 2010;3:1739-42.
33. Rao SP, Prasad KS, Ramarao KV. Sublethal effect of methyl parathion on tissue proteolysis in the fresh water mussels Lamillidens marginalis. Proc Indian Natl Sci Acad Part B Biol Sci 1980;46:164-7.
34. Singh A, Singh DK, Agarwal RA. Effect of cypermethrin, mexacarbate and phorate on phospholipid and lipid peroxidation in snail Lymnaea acuminata. Bull Environ Contam Toxicol 1993;51:68-71.
35. Tariq S, Haqqi M, Usman MA. Effect of thiotepa on RNA and total protein synthesis content in testes of albino rats. Indian J Exp Biol 1977;15:804-5.
36. Kringman MR, Hogen EL. Effect of lead intoxication on the postnatal growth of the rat nervous system. Environ Health Perc 1974;7:187-99.
37. Shukla GS, Satya VS, Prahalad KS. Effect of manganese on the levels on DNA, RNA, DNase and RNase in cerebrum, cerebellum and rest of brain regions of rat. Acta Pharmacol Toxicol 1976;39:562-9.
38. Miller EC. Some current perspectives on chemicals carcinogenesis in human and experimental animals. Cancer Res 1978;30:1479-96.
39. Farber E. Chemical carcinogenesis. New Eng J Med 1981;305:1379-89.
40. Metcalf RL. Mode of action of insecticide synergists. Ann Rev Entomol 1967;12:229E56.
41. Singh S, Singh VK, Singh DK. Effect of an active molluscicidal agent of common spices on biochemical parameters in the ovotestis of Lymnaea acuminata. Malaysian Appl Biol 1998;27:45-9.
42. Chen D, Haung X, Liu L, Shi N. Deltamethrin induces mitochondrial membrane permeability and altered expression cytochrome C in rat brain. J Appl Toxicol 2007;27:368-72.
43. Singh DK, Agarwal RA. Action sites of cypermethrin, a synthetic pyrethroid in the snail Lymnaea acuminata. Acta Hydrochim Hydrobiol 1991;19:425-30.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.