FACTORS ASSOCIATED WITH QUALITY OF LIFE AMONG PEOPLE LIVING WITH HIV/AIDS ON HIGHLY ACTIVE ANTI RETROVIRAL THERAPY: A CROSS-SECTIONAL STUDY
Objective: To assess Quality of life (QoL) and its associated factors in people living with HIV/AIDS (PLWHA) who taking highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) in Wangaya Hospital in Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia.
Methods: A cross-sectional study was conducted during February 2019 to January 2020 at Wangaya Hospital in Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia. QoL was assessed using the five-level version of the EuroQol five-dimensional questionnaire (EQ-5D-5L), EQ-5D index value, and the EuroQol visual analogue scale (EQ-VAS). The data was analyzed using Statistical Package for Social Science (SPSS) software package version 26.0. Bivariate analysis was tested using the cross-tabulation Gamma, Kruskal-Wallis and post hoc Mann-Whitney test. P value<0.05 was considered as statistically significant.
Results: A total of 584 PLWHA took HAART for at least 3 mo. The median index value and EQ-VAS were 1.0 (range-0.514–1.0) and 100.00 (range 30-100), respectively. Most patients had problems in ‘anxiety/depression’ and ‘pain/discomfort’ domains. Predictors of better QoL included men, married, good adherence, and treatment duration>24 mo (p<0.05). Predictor of poorer QoL included an advanced HIV clinical stage(p=0.001).
Conclusion: The QoL scores of PLWHA receiving HAART in our study were high; hence the QoL of PLWHA was good. The good QoL can be taken as the goal for HIV treatment in order to have a successful HAART therapy.
2. Walker N, Grassly NC, Garnett GP, Stanecki KA, Ghys PD. Estimating the global burden of HIV/AIDS: What do we really know about the HIV pandemic? Lancet 2004;363:2180-5.
3. Beck EJ, Miners AH, Tolley K. The cost of HIV treatment and care: a global review. Pharmacoeconomics 2001;19:13-9.
4. Hemamalini M, Sujatha T, Dhanalakshmi A, Geetha K, Kanniammal X. HIV/AIDS stigma and discrimination among the general public in the selected rural community, Kancheepram District, India. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2016;9:132-5.
5. Insaniputri P, Supardi S, Andrajati R. Comparison of zidovudine combination and tenofovir combination on the effectiveness of therapy and side effects in HIV/AIDS patients in RSAL mintohardjo. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10:93-6.
6. Report on the progress of HIV AIDS and PIMS in Indonesia in the Second Quarter of 2019. Available from: https://siha.depkes.go.id/portal/files_upload/laporan_HIV_TW_II_20192.pdf [Last accessed on 18 Jan 2020]
7. Surur AS, Teni FS, Wale W, Ayalew Y, Tesfaye B. Health-related quality of life of HIV/AIDS patients on highly active anti-retroviral therapy at a university referral hospital in Ethiophia. BMC Health Services Res 2017;17:737.
8. Oguntibeju OO. Quality of life of people living with HIV and AIDS and antiretroviral therapy. HIV/ADIS Res Palliative Care 2012;4:117-24.
9. Nobre N, Pereira M, Sutinen J, Canavarro MC, Sintonen H, Roine RP. Quality of life of people living with HIV/AIDS: a cross-country comparison study of finland and portugal. AIDS Care 2016;28:873-7.
10. Lifson AR, Grandits GA, Gardner EM, Wolff MJ, Oulik P, Williams I, et al. Quality of life assessment among HIV-positive persons entering the INSIGHT strategic timing of antiretroviral treatment (START) trial. HIV Med 2015;16:88-96.
11. Fu TS, Tuan YC, Yen MY, Wu WH, Huang CW, Chen WT, et al. Psychometric properties of the world health organization quality of life assessment–brief in methadone patients: a validation study in northern Taiwan. Harm Reduction J 2013;10:37.
12. Dennison CR. The role of patient-reported outcomes in evaluating the quality of oncology care. Am J Manag Care 2002;8 Suppl 18:580-6.
13. Zubaran C, Medeiros G, Foresti K, May W, Michelim L, Madi JM. Quality of life and adherence to antiretroviral therapy in Southern Brazil. AIDS Care 2014;26:619–25.
14. Clayson DJ, Wild DJ, Quarterman P, Duprat Lomon I, Kubin M, Coons SJ. A comparative review of health related quality of life measures for use in HIV/AIDS clinical trials. Pharmacoeconomics 2006;24:751-65.
15. Basavaraj KH, Navya MA, Rashmi R. Quality of life in HIV/AIDS. Indian J Sex Transm Dis AIDS 2010;31:75.
16. Kaur R, Kumar N. Descriptive study to assess the quality of life and coping strategies among HIV/AIDS patients. Int J Health Sci Res 2018;8:224-9.
17. Raj R, Sreenivas V, Mehta M, Gupta S. Health-related quality of life in Indian patients with three viral sexually transmitted. Infections: herpes simplex virus-2, genital human papillomavirus and HIV. Sexually Transmitted Infections 2011;87:216–20.
18. Yadav S. Perceived social support, hope, and quality of life of persons living with HIV/AIDS: a case study from Nepal. Qual Life Res 2010;19:157-66.
19. Lakshmi V. A live experiences on quality of life among HIV positive patients. Insight Biomed 2017;2:2.
20. Odili VU, Ikhurionan IB, Usifoh SF, Oparah AC. Determinants of quality of life in HIV/AIDS patients. West Afr J Pharm 2011;22:42-8.
21. Figuero LSB, Luque PB, Martin TP, Sagrado MG, Bouza JME. Assessment of factors influencing health-related quality of life in HIV-infected patients. HIV Med 2011;12:22-30.
22. Development of the World Health Organization WHOQOL-BREF 20. quality of life assessment. The WHOQOL Group. Psychol Med 1998;28:551-8.
23. Nobre N, Pereira M, Roine RP, Sintonen H, Sutinen J. Factors associated with the quality of life of people living with HIV in finland. AIDS Care 2017;29:1074-8.
24. Imam MH, Karim MR, Akhter S. health-related quality of life among the people living with HIV. Bangladesh Med Res Counc Bull 2011;37:1-6.
25. Liping M, Peng X, Haijiang L, Lahong J, Fan L. Quality of life of people living with HIV/AIDS: a cross-sectional study in zhejiang province, China. PLoS One 2015;10:e0135705.
26. Mannheimer SB, Matts J, Telzak E. Quality of life in HIV-infected individuals receiving antiretroviral therapy is related to adherence. AIDS Care 2005;17:10-22.
27. Perez IR, Bano JR, Ruz ML, del Arco Jimenez A, Prados MC, Liano JP, et al. Health-related quality of life of patients with HIV: impact of sociodemographic, clinical and psychosocial factors. Quality Life Res 2005;14:1301-10.
28. Swindells S, Mohr J, Justis JC, Berman S, Squier C, Wagener MM, et al. Quality of life in patients with human immunodeficiency virus infection: impact of social support, coping style and hopelessness. Int J STD AIDS 1999;10:383-91.
29. Razera F, Ferreira J, Bonamigo RR. Factors associated with health-related quality of life in HIV infected Brazilians. Int J STD AIDS 2008;19:519-23.
30. Hipolito RL, Oliveira DC, Costa TL, Marques SC, Pereira ER, Gomes AMT. Quality of life of people living with HIV/AIDS: temporal, socio-demographic and perceived health relationship. Rev Latino Am Enfermagem 2017;25:e2874.
31. Ruiz Perez I, Olry de Labry Lima A, Lopez Ruz MA, del Arco Jimenez A, Rodriguez Bano J, Causse Prados M, et al. Clinical status, adherence to HAART and quality of life in HIV-infected patients receiving antiretroviral treatment. Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin 2005;23:581-5.
32. Jia H, Uphold CR, Wu S, Chen GJ, Duncan PW. Predictors of changes in health-related quality of life among men with HIV infection in the HAART era. AIDS Patient Care STDS 2005;19:395-405.
33. Murdaugh C, Moneyham L, Jackson K, Phillips K, Tavakoli A. Predictors of quality of life in HIV-infected rural women: Psychometric test of the chronic illness quality of life ladder. Qual Life Res 2006;15:777-89.
34. Simoni JM, Kurth AE, Pearson CR, Pantalone DW, Merrill JO, Frick PA. Self-report measures of antiretroviral therapy adherence: a review with recommendations for HIV research and clinical management. AIDS Behav 2006;10:227–45.
35. Yaya I, Djalogue L, Patassi AA, Landoh DE, Assindo A, Nambiema A, et al. Health-related quality of life among people living with HIV/AIDS in togo: individuals and contextual effects. BMC Res Notes 2019;12:140.
36. Karkashadze E, Gated MA, Chkhartishvili N, DeHovitz J, Tsertsvadze T. Asessment of quality of life in people living with HIV in georgia. Int J STD AIDS 2017;28:672-8.
37. Van Reenen M, Janssen B. EQ-5D-5L user guide. Rotterdam: EuroQol Research Foundation; 2015.
38. Geocze L, Mucci S, Marco MAD, Martins LAN, Citero VDA. Quality of life and adherence to HAART in HIV-infected patients. Rev Saude Publica 2010;44:743-9.
39. Index value calculator for EQ-5D-5L. Available from: https://euroqol.org/eq-5d-instruments/eq-5d-5l-about/valuation-standard-value-sets/crosswalk-index-value-calculator/at [Last accessed on 20 Feb 2020]
40. Keaei M, Kuhlmann J, Conde R, Evers SM, Gonzalez J, Govers M, et al. Health-related quality of life of patients with HIV/AIDS in Bogota, Colombia. Value Health Regional Issues 2016;11:68-72.
41. Tran BX. Quality of life outcomes of antiretroviral treatment for HIV/AIDS patients in Vietnam. PloS one 2012;7:e41062.
42. Charles B, Jeyaseelan L, Pandian AK, Sam AE, Thenmozhi M, Jayaseelan V. Association between stigma, depression and quality of life of people living with HIV/AIDS (PLHA) in South India–a community-based cross-sectional study. BMC Public Health 2012;12:463.
43. Tran BX, Ohinmaa A, Nguyen LT. Quality of life profile and psychometric properties of the EQ-5D-5L in HIV/AIDS patients. Health and quality of life outcomes 2012;10:132.
44. Osei-Yeboah J, Owiredu WK, Norgbe GK, et al. Quality of life of people living with HIV/AIDS in the Ho Municipality, Ghana: a cross-sectional study. AIDS research and treatment 2017;2017:6806951. DOI:10.1155/2017/6806951
45. Razavi P, Hajifathalian K, Saeidi B, Esmaeeli Djavid G, Rasoulinejad M, Hajiabdolbaghi M, et al. Quality of life among persons with HIV/AIDS in Iran: internal reliability and validity of an international instrument and associated factors. AIDS Res Treatment 2012. https://doi.org/10.1155/2012/849406
46. Shriharsha C, Rentala S. Quality of life among people living with HIV/AIDS and its predictors: a cross-sectional study at ART center, Bagalkot, Karnataka. J Family Med Prim Care 2019;8:1011.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.