IN VITRO ANTIOXIDANT PROPERTY OF FRACTIONS OF ANNONA RETICULATA (L) LEAVE
Objective: The present study has been carried out to evaluate the antioxidant property of different fractions prepared from hydro-alcoholic extract of Annona reticulata L. leave. Effort also has been made to estimate the flavonoid and phenolics content of the fractions.
Method: The antioxidant activity has been studied in vitro by using Nitric oxide-scavenging assay, Free radical scavenging activity in DPPH assay and Iron chelating activity assay.
Results: In Nitric oxide-scavenging assay the IC50 values for Ethylacetate fraction, methanol fraction and residue/aqueous fraction are 476.43 Âµg/mL, 328.09 Âµg/mL and 329.61 Âµg/mL respectively. In DPPH assay the IC50 values for Ethylacetate fraction, methanol fraction and residue/aqueous fraction are 87.50 Âµg/mL, 161.06 Âµg/mL and 90.36 Âµg/mLrespectively. The IC50 values of the Ethylacetate fraction, methanol fraction and residue/aqueous fraction in Iron chelating assay are 210.86 Âµg/mL, 462.38 Âµg/mL and 586.14 Âµg/mL respectively. The flavonoid content of Ethylacetate fraction, methanol fraction and residue/aqueous fraction are 8.73, 7.45 and 8.62 respectively expressed as mg/g of Catechol. Similarly the phenol content of Ethylacetate fraction, methanol fraction and residue/aqueous fraction are 8.43, 7.25 and 6.23 respectively expressed as mg/g of Catechol.
Conclusion: The results suggest that all the tested fractions are having antioxidant property, but the ethhylacetate fraction is having significantly higher flavonoid and phenol content. Due to presence of higher flavonoid and phenol content in ethylacetate fraction, it may be considered as the fraction with better pharmacological property in comparison to other tested fractions.
2. Rout Soumya P, Durga M Kar, Santosh B Mohapatra, Sharada P Swain. Anti-hyperglycemic effect Annona reticulata l. Leaves on experimental diabetic rat model. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2013;6(1):56-60.
3. Praveen Sharma, Sandhya Mishra, Peeyush Ajmera, Sandeep Mathur. Oxidative Stress In Metabolic Syndrome. Indian J Clin Biochem 2005;20(1):145â€“9.
4. Si Jin, Yongzhong Wu, Shiwei Deng, Jinxiang Zhang, Xiao Qian Chen. Oxidants and Antioxidants in Metabolic Syndrome and Cancer. Oxid Med Cell Longev 2014;2014:178962.
5. Sokeng SD, Lontsi D, Moundipa PF, Jatsa HB, Watcho P, Kamtchouing P. Hypoglycemic effect of anacardiumoccidentale l. methanol extract and fractions on streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Global J Pharm 2007;1(1):01-05.
6. Seyyed Ali Mard, KowtharJalalvand, MasoumehJafarinejad, Hoda Balochi, Mohammad Kazem Gharib Naseri. Evaluation of the antidiabetic and antilipaemic activities of the hydroalcoholic extract of phoenix dactylifera palm leaves and its fractions in alloxan-induced diabetic rats. Malaysian J Med Sci 2010;17(4):04-13.
7. Sourav Kanti Roy, Pratyush Kumar Mishra, Subhangkar Nandy, Rana Datta, Bodhisattwa Chakraborty. Potential wound healing activity of the different extract of Typhoniumtrilobatum in albino rats. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed 2012:S1477-S1486.
8. Dharmendra Singh, Manish Mishra, Monika Gupta, Poonam Singh, Abhishek Gupta, Rajeev Nema. Nitric Oxide radical scavenging assay of bioactive compounds present in methanol Extract of Centellaasiatica. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci Res 2012;2(3):42-4.
9. Brand-Williams W, Cuvelier ME, Berset C. Use of a free radical method to evaluate antioxidant activity. LWT-Food Sci Technol 1995;28(1):25-30.
10. Bondet V, Brand-Williams W, Berset C. Kinetics and Mechanisms of antioxidant activity using the DPPH* free radical method. LWT-Food Sci Technol 1997;30(6):609â€“15.
11. Padmanabhan P, Jangle SN. Evaluation of DPPH radical scavenging activity and reducing power of four selected medicinal plants and their combinations. Int J Pharm Sci Drug Res 2012;4(2):143-6.
12. Sathish M, Tharani CB, Niraimathi V, Satheesh Kumar D. In-vitro antioxidative activity of phenolic and flavonoid compounds extracted from root of clerodendrum phlomidis (Linn.). Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2012;4(1):288-91.
13. Hassan Mahmood Kzar Jindal, Jamaludin Mohamad. Antioxidant activity of Ardisiacrispa (Mata pelanduk). Sains Malaysiana 2012;41(5):539â€“45.
14. Jaslin Edward J, Padmaja V. Antioxidant potential of ethanolic extract of aerial parts of Coleus spicatus Benth. Afr J Biotechnol 2011;10(56):12054-7.
15. Bothon Fifa TD, Eric Debiton, Felicien Avlessi, Christiane Forestier, Jean-Claude Teulade, Dominique KC Sohounhloue. In vitro biological effects of two anti-diabetic medicinal plants used in Benin as folk medicine. BMC Complementary Altern Med 2013;13:51.
16. Khatiwora Elija, Vaishali B Adsul, Manik M Kulkarni, Deshpande NR, Kashalkar RV. Spectroscopic determination of total phenol and flavonoid contents of Ipomoea carnea. Int J Chem Tech Res 2010;2(3):1698-701.
17. John WB. Role of oxidative stress in development of complications in diabetes. Diabetes 1991;40:405â€“12.
18. Kesavulu MM, Rao BK, Giri R, Vijaya J, Subramanyam G, Apparao C. Lipid peroxidation and antioxidant enzyme status in Type 2 diabetics with coronary heart disease. Diabetes Res Clin Practice 2001;53(1):33-9.
19. Aydin A, Orhan H, Sayal A, Ozata M, Sahin G, Isumer A. Oxidative stress and nitric oxide related parameters in type II diabetes mellitus: effects of glycemic control. Clin Biochem 2001;34(1):65â€“70.
20. Kedziora-Kornatowska K, Szram S, Kornatowski T, Szadujkis-Szadurski L, KeÂ¸dziora J, Bartosz G. The effect of verapamil on the antioxidant defence system in diabetic kidney. Clin Chim Acta 2002;322(1-2):105â€“12.
21. Rakesh K, Subrahmanyam VM, Jasim R, Kailash P, Jawahar K. Increased oxidative stress in rat liver and pancreas during progression of streptozotocin induced diabetes. Clin Sci 1998;94:623â€“32.
22. Abdulwali Ablat, Jamaludin Mohamad, Khalijah Awang, Jamil A Shilpi, Aditya Arya. Evaluation of antidiabetic and antioxidant properties of bruceajavanica seed. Sci World J 2014;1-8.
23. Pourmorad F, Hosseinimehr SJ, Shahabimajd N. Antioxidant activity, phenol and flavonoid contents of some selected Iranian medicinal plants. Afr J Biotechnol 2006;5(11):1142-5.
24. Nahak G, Sahu RK. In vitro Antioxidativeacitivity of Azadirachtaindica and Meliaazedarach Leaves by DPPH scavenging assay. J Am Sci 2010;6(6):123-8.
25. Yao LH, Jiang YM, Shi J, Tomas-Barberan FA, Datta R, SinganusongR, et al. Flavonoids in food and their health benefits. Plant Foods Hum Nutr 2004;59:113â€“22.
26. Tepe B, Sokmen M, Akpulat AH, Sokmen A. In vitro antioxidant activities of the methanol extracts of four Helichrysum species from Turkey. Food Chem 2005;90:685â€“9.
27. Suzgec S, Mericli AH, Houghton P, Cubukcu B. Flavonoids of Helichrysumcompactum and their antioxidant and antibacterial activity. Fitoterapia 2005;76:269â€“72.
28. Sefi M, Fetoui H, Makni M, Zeghal N. Mitigating effects of antioxidant properties of Artemisia campestris leaf extract on hyperlipidemia, advanced glycation end products and oxidative stress in alloxan-induced diabetic rats. Food Chem Toxicol 2010;48:1986â€“93.
29. Lee KT, Sohn IC, Kim DH, Choi JW, Kwon SH, Park HJ. Hypoglycemic and hypolipidemic effects of tectorigenin and kaikasaponin III in the streptozocin induced diabetic rat and their antioxidant activity in vitro. Arch Parm Res 2000;23(5):461â€“6.
30. Sharma B, Balomajumder C, Roy P. Hypoglycemic and hypolipidemic effects of flavonoid rich extract from Eugenia jambolana seeds on streptozotocin induced diabetic rats. Food Chem Toxicol 2008;46:2376â€“83.
31. Gandhi GR, Ignacimuthu S, Paulraj MG. Solanumtorvum Swartz. Fruit containing phenolic compounds shows antidiabetic and antioxidant effects in streptozotocin induced diabetic rats. Food Chem Toxicol 2011;49:2725â€“33.
32. Dewanjee S, Das AK, Sahu R, Gangopadhyay M. Antidiabetic activity of Diospyros peregrine fruit: effect on hyperglycemia, hyperlipidemia and augmented oxidative stress in experimental type2 diabetes. Food Chem Toxicol 2009;47:2679â€“85.