BRAZILEIN INCREASES THE SENSITIVITY OF DOXORUBICIN ON MCF-7 RESISTANT DOXORUBICIN (MCF-7/DOX) CELLS THROUGH INHIBITION OF HER-2 ACTIVATION
Objective: Brazilein is a compound obtained in a large amount from the dried heartwood of Secang (Caesalpinia sappan L.). Brazilein has strong cytotoxic effect in several cancer cell lines. This study was designed to evaluate the cytotoxic effect of combination brazilein with a chemotherapy agent, doxorubicin on MCF-7/DOX breast cancer cell lines and evaluate the molecular mechanism of brazilein by in silico using molecular docking to HER-2.
Methods: In the cytotoxicity assay, MCF-7/DOX cells were cultured in the presence of brazilein and doxorubicin for 24 hours and cell viability was evaluated by using MTT assay. Interactions between brazilein and the target protein, HER-2 (3PP0) was evaluated and calculated in silico by molecular docking using PLANTS.
Results: Brazilein increased doxorubicinâ€™s cytotoxic activity on MCF-7/DOX cells. Both of single treatment with different concentration brazilein 12.5 and 25 mM or doxorubicin 0.8 and 1 mM gave cell viability percentage above 80%, but combination of them led to decrease the cell viability percentage significantly. The score docking of brazilein was -77.73 kcal/mol and lapatinib value -71.34 kcal/mol.
Conclusion: Interaction between brazilein and HER-2 (3PP0) as protein target in breast cancer higher affinity than lapatinib as HER-2 drug. Brazilein performed as a potent co-chemotherapy agent for breast cancer treatment.
2. Chang Q, Liu ZR, Wang DY, Kumar M, Chen YB, Qin RY. Survivin expression induced by doxorubicin in cholangiocarcinoma. World J Gastroentero 2004;10(3):415-8.
3. Han X, Pan J, Ren D, Cheng Y, Fan P, Lou H. Naringenin-7-O-glucoside protects against doxorubicin-induced toxicity in H9c2 cardiomyocytes by induction of endogenous antioxidant enzymes. Food Chem Toxicol 2008;46:3140â€“6.
4. Liu F, Xie ZH, Cai GP, Jiang YY. The effect of survivin on multidrug resistance mediated by P-glycoprotein in MCF-7 and Its adriamycin resistant Cells. Biol Pharm Bull 2007;30(12): 2279-83.
5. Minotti G, Menna P, Salvatorelli E, Cairo G, Gianni L. Anthracyclins: molecular advances and pharmacologic developments in antitumor activity and cardiotoxicity. Pharmacol Rev 2004;56:185-228.
6. Emami A., Zeinali S., Motahari Z., Azizi E. 2005. Resistance to Adriamycin Alters the MDR1/P-gp, Topoisomerase II-alpha Gene and Protein Expression Levels in T47D Human Breast Cancer Cells, Conference Module of 2005 AAPS Annual Meeting and Exposition, downloaded from: www.aapsj.orgabstract AM_2005AAPS2005-001197.pdf, on 2 April 2012.
7. Siddiqa A, Long LM, Li L, Marciniak RA, Kazhdan I. Expression of HER-2 in MCF-7 breast cancer cells modulates anti-apoptotic proteins survivin and Bcl-2 via the extracellular signal-related kinase (ERK) and phosphoinositide-3 kinase (PI3K) signaling pathways. BMC Cancer 2008;8:129.
8. Badami S, Moorkth S, Rai SR. Antioxidant activity of caesalpinia sappan heartwood. Biol Pharm Bull 2003;26(7):1534.
9. Lim DK, U Choi, DH Shin. Antioxidative activity of some solvent extract from Caesalpinia sappan Linn. Korean J Food Sci Technol 1997;28(1):77âˆ’82.
10. Tao LY, Li JY, Zhang JY. Brazilein induced cells apoptosis in human breast cancer MCF-7 and Its mechanism. J Sun Yat-Sen University (Med Sci) 2011;32:449-53.
11. Tao LY, Li JY, Zhang JY. Brazilein overcame ABCB1-mediated multidrug resistance in human leukaemia K562/AO2 Cells. J Pharm Pharmacol 2011;5(16);1937-44.
12. Yen C, Kyoko NG, T-Long H, Pei CW, Susan LMN, Wan CL, et al. Antitumor Agents. 271. total synthesis and evaluation of brazilein and analogs as anti-inflammatory and cytotoxic agents. Bioorg Med Chem Lett 2010;20(3):1037â€“9.
13. Zhong B, Wu YJ, Pan SZ. Brazilein inhibits survivin protein and mRNA expression and induces apoptosis in hepatocellular carcinoma HepG2 cells. Neoplasma 2009;56 (5):387-92.
14. Meiyanto E, Putri PDD, Susidarti RA, Murwanti R, Sardjiman, Fitriasari A, et al. Curcumin and its analogues (PGV-0 and PGV-1) enhance sensitivity of resistant MCF-7 Cells to doxorubicin through Inhibition of HER-2 and NF-ï«B activation. Asian Pacific J Cancer Prev 2014;15(1):179-84.
15. Oliveira MLG, Assenco RAG, Silva GDF, Lopes JCD, Silva FC, Lanna MC, et al. Cytotoxicity, Anti-Poliovirus activity and in silico biological evaluation of constituents from maytenus gonoclada (Celastraceae). Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:10.
16. Berman HM, Westbrook J, Feng Z, Gilliland G, Bhat TN, Weissig H, et al. The protein data bank. Nucleic Acids Res 2000;28(1):235-42.
17. Tegar M, Purnomo H. The leaves extracted as anti-malaria based on molecular docking PLANTS. Procedia Environ Sci 2013;17:188-94.
18. Gilmore TD. Introduction to NFkB: players, pathways, perspectives. Oncogene 2006;25:6680-84.
19. Tao LY, Li JY, Zhang JY. Brazilein Induced cells apoptosis in human breast cancer MCF-7 and Its mechanism. J Sun Yat-Sen University (Med Sci) 2011;32;449-53.
20. Fortugno P, Wall NR, Giodini A. Survivin exists in immunochemically distinct subcellular pools and is involved in spindle microtubule function. J Cell Sci 2002;115:85-575.
21. Altieri DC. Validating survivin as a cancer therapeutic target. Nat Rev Cancer 2003;3:46â€“54.