STANDARDIZATION OF DRIED FLOWERS OF MORINGAOLEIFERA (LAMK.) AND JASMINUMSAMBAC (L.) AITACCORDING TO WHO GUIDELINES
Objective: The aim of the present study is to evaluate various pharmacognostic standards like macroscopy, microscopy, fluorescence analysis, preliminary phytochemical screening and thin layer chromatography of Moringa oleifera (Lamk.) and Jasminum sambac (L.) Ait.
Methods: Cellular arrangement of the flower of M. oleifera and J. sambac were examined under electronic microscope. Fine powder of both flowers was used for powder microscopy. The phytochemical screening of the aqueous and ethyl acetate extracts of flowers of M. oleifera andJ. sambac was performed for carbohydrates, terpenoids, alkaloids, flavonoids, saponins, tannins, steroids, lignin and fixed oil. The color intensity or the precipitate formation was used as analytical responses to these tests. The aqueous and ethyl acetate extracts of both plants were gone through TLC monitoring by reconstituting each extracts with 5 ml solvent respectively.
Results: Under microscopic observation the dried powder of M. oleifera revealed abundant calcium oxalate crystals, small spherical oil globules, starch grains, irregular fragments and tannin content. While powder microscopy of flower of J. sambac showed tannin, oil globules and simple fibers. Preliminary phytochemical analysis of aqueous and ethyl acetate extracts of both flowers revealed that the strength of active agents i. e, carbohydrate, tannins, fixed oil, terpenes in variable percentage.
Conclusion: The findings could be helpful in identification and authentication of Moringa oleifera andJasminum sambac in future for further research and utilization.
2. Nivedithadevi D, Somasundaram R. Pharmacognostical and qualitative phytochemical studies on the aerial parts of Tephrosla purpurea (L). Int J Curr Res Biosci 2012;2:48-53.
3. Nasreen S, Radha R. Assessment of quality of Withaniasomnifera Dunal (Solanaceae) Pharmacognostical and physicochemical profile. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2011;3:152-5.
4. Morton J. The horseradish tree, Moringa pterygosperma (Moringaceae)-A boon to Arid Lands? Econ Bot 1991;45:318-33.
5. Anwar F, Bhanger MI. Analytical characterization of Moringa oleifera seed oil grown in temperate regions of Pakistan. J Agric Food Chem 2003;51:6558-63.
6. Siddhuraju P, Becker K. Antioxidant properties of various solvent extracts of total phenolic constituents from three different agroclimatic origins of drumstick tree (Moringa oleifera Lam.) leaves. J Agric Food Chem 2003;51:2144-55.
7. Tsaknis J, Lalas S, Gergis V, Dourtoglou V, Spiliotis V. Characterization of Moringa oleifera variety Mbololo seed oil of Kenya. J Agric Food Chem 1999;47:4495-9.
8. Nadkarni KM. Indian Materia Media. Vol. I. Bombay Popular Prakashan Mumbai; 2005. p. 811-6.
9. Prasad TNVKV, Elumalai EK. Biofabrication of Ag nanoparticles using Moringa oleifera leaf extract and their antimicrobial activity. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed 2011;1:439-42.
10. Verma AR, Vijaya kumar M, Mathela CS, Rao CV. In vitro and in vivo antioxidant properties of different fractions of Moringa oleifera leaves. Food Chem Toxicol 2009;47:2196â€“201.
11. Bharali R, Tabassum J, Azad MR. Chemomodulatory effect of Moringa oleifera, Lam on hepatic carcinogen metabolizing enzymes, antioxidant parameters and skin papillomagenesis in mice. Asian Pacific J Cancer Prevention 2003;4:131â€“9.
12. CÃ¡ceres A, Saravia A, Rizzo S, Zabala L, De Leon E, Nave F. Pharmacologic properties of Moringa oleifera. Screening for antispasmodic, anti-inflammatory and diuretic activity. J Ethnopharmacol 1992;36:233â€“7.
13. Caceres A, Cabrere O, Morales O, Mollinedo P, Mendia P. Pharmacological properties of Moringa oleifera.1: Preliminary screening for antimicrobial activity. J Ethnopharmacol 1991;33:213â€“6.
14. Sulaiman MR, Zakaria ZA, Bujarimin AS, Somcent MN, Israf DA, Moin S. Evaluation of Moringa oleifera aqueous extract for antinociceptive and anti-inflammatory activities in animal models. Pharm Biol 2008;46:838â€“45.
15. The wealth of India, Raw Material. Vol 5th. Hâ€K; 2012. p. 289â€90.
16. Rastogi RP, Mehrotra BN. Compendium of Indian Medicinal Plants. Vol. 4. 2002. p. 407â€8.
17. Rastogi RP, Mehrotra BN. Compendium of Indian Medicinal Plants. Vol. 2.; 2000. p. 395â€6.
18. Tanahashi T, Nagakura N, Nishi T. Sambacosides A, E and F novel tetrameric iridoid glycosides from Jasminum sambac. Tetrahedron Lett 1998;29:1793â€6.
19. Kiritikar KR, Basu BD. Indian medicinal plants with Illustrations. 2nd Edition. Vol. 7. 2003. p. 2093â€6.
20. Kalaiselvi M, Narmadha R, Ragavendran P, Vidya B, Gomathi D, Raj CA, et al. Chemopreventive effect and HPTLC fingerprinting analysis of Jasminum sambac (L.) Ait. Extract against DLA-induced lymphoma in experimental animals. Appl Biochem Biotechnol 2013;169:1098-108.
21. Wallis TE. Text book of Pharmacognosy. 5th Edition. T. A. Churchill, London; 1985. p. 561.
22. Johansen DA. Plant Microtechnique, McGraw Hill, New York; 1940. p. 183-203.
23. Pratt RT, Chase ER. Fluorescence powder vegetable drugs in particular to development system of identification. J Am Pharm Assoc 1949;38:324-31.
24. Trease GE, Evans WC. Pharmacognosy, East Bourne: Bailliere Tindal, London; 1986. p. 171-2.
25. Harborne JB. Phytochemicals Methods. Chapman and Hall Ltd, London; 1973. p. 49-188.
26. Sherma J, Fried B. Handbook of thin layer chromatography. 3rd Edition, CRC Press; 2003. p. 62-129.
27. Page LR. Whole herb or standardized plant constituents. Total Health 2001;23:20.
28. Koo BC, Nottenberg, Pardey PG. Plants and intellectual property: an international appraisal. Science 2004;306:1295-7.
29. Rice-Evans CA, Miller NJ, Paganga G. Structure antioxidant activity relationship of flavonoids and phenolic acids. Free Radicals Biol Med 1996;20:933â€“56.
30. Shwetajain, Chanderachud Sharma, Pankaj Khatri, Atul Jain, Ankur Vaidya. Pharmacognostic and Phytochemical investigations of the Leaves of Zizyphusxylopyrus (Retz) Willd. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2011;3:122-5.
31. Cimpoiu C. Analysis of some natural antioxidants by thin layer chromatography and high performance thin layer chromatography. J Liq Chromatogr Relat Technol 2006;29:1125-42.