SYNTHESIS AND BIOLOGICAL EVALUATION OF 2-(2'/3'/4'/6'-SUBSTITUTED PHENYL)-1H-INDOLES
Objective: Indole derivatives were reported to a wide range of biological activities. Thus it was our aim to synthesize a series of 2-(2'/3'/4'/6'-substituted phenyl) -1H-indoles using clayzic catalyst and screen for their in vitro anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and antimicrobial activities.
Methods: Various substituted acetophenones were reacted with phenylhydrazine in the presence of modified clayzic catalyst and obtained 2-(2'/3'/4'/6'-substituted phenyl)-1H-indoles in a one pot reaction. The cyclized compounds were characterized by FT-IR, NMR, UV-Vis and mass spectral analyses and screened for anti-inflammatory activity against cytokines tumor necrosis factor (TNF-Î±) and interleukin-6 (IL-6) by measuring cytokine production by performing sandwich ELISA model, antioxidant activity by DPPH assay method and antimicrobial activity by well-diffusion method.
Results: An eco-friendly route with better yields for the synthesis of 2-(2'/3'/4'/6'-substituted phenyl)-1H-indoles in the presence of clayzic catalyst was achieved. The biological activity results suggested that compounds (2d, 2e and 2i) have excellent anti-inflammatory activity, compounds (2a-2d and 2j) possessing better antioxidant property and compounds (2b, 2i, 2k and 2m) have promising antibacterial and antifungal activities when compared to the standard drugs.
Conclusion: Synthesis of 2-(2'/3'/4'/6'-substituted phenyl)-1H-indoles was successfully achieved in the presence of clayzic catalyst. Compounds bearing amino, methyl, methoxy, hydroxyl and fluoro groups have shown better anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and antimicrobial activities when compared to the other compounds and 1H-indole.
2. Luis FJ, Pique M, Gonzalez M, Buira I, Mendez E, Terencio J, et al. Synthesis, pharmacology and molecular modeling of N-substituted 2-phenyl-indoles and benzimidazoles as potent GABAA agonists. Eur J Med Chem 2006;41:985-90.
3. Sibel S, Pinar B, Tulay C, Dogu N. Investigation of the in vitro antioxidant behavior of some 2-phenylindole derivatives: discussion on possible antioxidant mechanisms and comparison with melatonin. J Enzym Inhib Med Chem 2006;21:405-11.
4. Leboho TC, Michael JP, Van Otterlo WAL, Van Vuuren SF, De Koning CB. The synthesis of 2-and 3-aryl indoles and 1,3,4,5-tetrahydropyrano[4,3-b]indoles and their antibacterial and antifungal activity. Bioorg Med Chem Lett 2009;19:4948-51.
5. Sharma P, Ashok K, Vinita S, Siya U, Jitendra S. Synthesis of bioactive spiro-2-[3'-(2'-phenyl)-3H-indolyl]-1-aryl-3-phenyl aziridines and SAR studies on their antimicrobial behavior. Med Chem Res 2009;18:383-95.
6. Mitsuhiro A, Yayoi K, Tohru O, Takuma S, Tomonori N, Takuya A, et al. Design and synthesis of Indomethacin analogues that inhibit P-glycoprotein and/or multidrug resistant protein without COX inhibitory activity. J Med Chem 2012;55:8152-63.
7. Kaufmann D, Pojarova M, Vogel S, Liebl R, Gastpar R, Gross D, et al. Antimitotic activities of 2-phenylindole-3-carbaldehydes in human breast cancer cells. Bioorg Med Chem 2007;15:5122â€“36
(b) Gastpar R, Goldbrunner M, Marko D, Von Angere E. Methoxy-substituted 3-formyl-2-phenylindoles inhibit tubulin polymerization. J Med Chem 1998;41:4965â€“72.
8. http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/248423.php. [Last accessed on 2015 Jan 10].
9. Goossens L, Pommery N, Henichart JP. CoX-2/5LoX dual acting anti-inflammatory drugs in cancer chemotherapy. Curr Top Med Chem 2007;7:283-96.
10. Liu W, Zhou J, Bensdorf K, Zhang H, Liu H, Wang Y, et al. Investigations on cytotoxicity and anti-inflammatory potency of licofelone derivatives. Eur J Med Chem 2011;46:907-13.
(b) Zhou JP, Ding YW, Zhang HB, Xu L, Dai Y. Synthesis and anti-inflammatory activity of imidazo [1,2-a]pyrimidine derivatives. Chin Chem Lett 2008;19:669-72.
11. Pereg D, Lishner M. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs for the prevention and treatment of cancer. J Int Med 2005;258:115-23.
12. Agrawal A, Fentiman IS. NSAIDs and breast cancer: a possible prevention and treatment strategy. Int J Clin Pract 2008;62:444-9.
13. Sy M, Kitazawa M, Medeiros R, Whitman L, Cheng D, Lane ET, et al. Inflammation induced by infection potentiates tau pathological features in transgenic mice. Am J Pathol 2011;178:2811â€“22.
14. Halliwell B. Antioxidant defence mechanisms: from the beginning to the end (of the beginning). Free Radical Res 1999;31:261-72.
15. Clark JH, Cullen SR, Barlow SJ, Bastock TW. Environmentally friendly chemistry using supported reagent catalystsâ€“Structure property relationships for clayzic. J Chem Soc Perkin Trans 1994;2:1117-30.
16. Varala R, Enugala R, Adapa SR. Zinc montmorillonite as a reusable heterogeneous catalyst for the synthesis of 2,3-dihydro-1H-1,5-benzodiazepine derivatives. ARKIVOC 2006;13:171-7.
17. Dhakshinamoorthy A, Kanagaraj K, Pitchumani K. Zn2+-K10-clay (clayzic) as an efficient water-tolerant, solid acid catalyst for the synthesis of benzimidazoles and quinoxalines at room temperature. Tetrahedron Lett 2011;52:69-73.
18. Barry AL. The antimicrobic susceptibility test: principles and practices (Lea & Febiger Publishers); 1976. p. 180.
19. Brand-williams W, Cuvelier ME, Berset C. Lebensmittel wissenschaft und technologie. J Impact Factor Inf 1995;28:25-30.
20. Dhakshinamoorthy A, Pitchumani K. Facile clay-induced fischer indole synthesis: A new approach to synthesis of 1,2,3,4-tetrahydrocarbazole and indoles. Appl Catal A 2005;292:305-11.
21. Afshin Zarghi, Azar Tahghighi, Zohreh Soleomani, Bahram Daraie, Orkideh Gorban Dadrass, Mehdi Hedayati. Design and synthesis of some 5-Substituted-2-(4-(azido or methylsulfonyl)phenyl)-1H-indole derivatives as selective cyclooxygenase (COX-2) Inhibitors. Sci Pharm 2008;76:361â€“76.
22. Lutz Ackermann, Alexander V. Ruthenium-catalyzed direct C-H bond arylations of heteroarenes. Org Lett 2011;13:3332-5.
23. Bansal RK, Sharma SK. Reaction of phenacyltriphenylarsonium bromide with aromatic primary amines: synthesis of 2-arylindoles and 2-arylbenzindoles through arsenic ylide. J Organomet Chem 1978;149:309-14.
24. Bruce J Malcolm. Heterocyclic compounds of nitrogen. Part III. The synthesis of some 2-indolylbenzoquinones. J Chem Soc 1960;360-65.
25. Li Pinhua, Lei Wang, Feng You. Gold(I)Iodide catalyzed sonogashira reactions. Eur J Org Chem 2008;35:5946-51.
26. Joshi Krishna C. Preparation of new fluorine containing 2-phenylindole derivatives as antifertility agents. J Indian Chem Soc 1985;62:388-90.
27. Dalton L, Humhrey GL, Cooper MM, Joule JA. Indole (beta)nucleophilic substittution Part-7:(beta)Halogenation of indles attempted intermolecular (beta)nucleophilic substittution of (alpha)arylindoles. J Chem Soc Perkin Trans 1 1983;10:2417-22.