PHYTOCHEMICALS AND PHARMACEUTICAL POTENTIAL OF DELONIX REGIA (BOJER EX HOOK) RAF A REVIEW
Traditionally Delonix regia (Boj.) Raf. has been used in various ailments such as chronic fever, antimicrobial, constipation, inflammation, arthritis, hemoplagia, piles, boils, pyorrhea, scorpion bite, bronchitis, asthma and dysmenorrhoea. However, there is little experimental evidence for its traditional use. In this review an attempt has been made to gather and compile the scattered traditional information along with the experimental evidence on the beneficial properties of Delonix regia (Boj.) Raf. The plant shows diverse therapeutic prospective such as antifungal, antibacterial, antioxidant, antiemetic, larvicidal, hepatoprotective, anti-diarrhoeal, anti-inflammatory, antimalarial, anthelmintic, antiarthritic, wound healing and anticarcinogenic potential. It possess copious phytochemicals, viz. saponins, alkaloids, carotene, hydrocarbons, phytotoxins, flavonoids, tannins, steroids, carotenoids, galactomannon, lupeol, Î²-sitosterol, terpenoids, glycosides and carbohydrates, in leaves, flowers, bark and roots. Though Delonix regia (Boj.) Raf. has been widely used in traditional medicines in various ailments, yet studies need to be conducted to explore the potential phyto-constituents of this plant for the prevention of various other diseases and to further unravel, characterize, patent and commercialize the protective components from different parts of this plant for the benefit of humans.
2. Orwa C, Mutua A, Kindt R, Jamnadass R, Simons A. Delonix regia. Agroforestry; 2013.
3. Halim MA, Chowdhury MSH, Wadud AI, Uddin MS, Sarker SK, Uddin MB. The use of plants in traditional health care practice of the Shaiji community in Southwestern Bangladesh. J Trop Forest Sci 2007;19:168-75.
4. Ode OJ, Saka S, Oladele GM. The global relevance of traditional medicine and herbal plants, the nigerian perspective. Int J Appl Biol Pharm Technol 2011;2:280-9.
5. Jyoti DA, Athar M, Rawat DS, Jyoti DP. Ethno medicinal survey of medicinal plants used to cure wounds in Darikal gaon of Tezpur in Assam, North East India. Int Res J Pharm 2012;3:193-5.
6. Rekha D, Tamil SS, Bharathidasan R, Panneerselvam A, Ilakkiya R, Jayapal R. Study of medicinal plants used from koothanoallur and Marakkadai, Thiruvarur district of Tamil Nadu, India. Hygeia. J Drugs Med 2013;5:164-70.
7. Rahmatullah M, Haque MR, Kamrul Islam S, Jamal F, Anwarul Bashar ABM, Ahmed R, et al. A Survey on the use of medicinal plants by folk medicinal practitioners in three areas of pirojpur district, bangladesh. Am-Eurasian J Sustain Agric 2010;4:247-59.
8. Rahmatullah M, Khatun MA, Morshed N, Neogi PK, Khan SUA, Hossan MS, et al. A randomized survey of medicinal plants used by folk medicinal healers of sylhet division, bangladesh. Adv Nat Appl Sci 2010;4:52-62.
9. Fowler DG. Traditional fever remedies: a list of Zambian plants; 2006. p. 18.
10. Choudhury S, Chowdhury HR, Mandal S, Ghosh A. Folk-lore knowledge on medicinal usage of the tribal belts of Birbhum district, West Bengal, India. Int J Bot Res 2013;3:43-50.
11. Zahin M, Aqil F, Khan MSA, Ahmad I. Ethnomedicinal plants derived antibacterials and their prospects, in: Chattopadhyay D. (Ed.), Ethnomedicine: A Source of Complementary Therapeutics. Research Signpost, Kerala, India; 2010. p. 149-78.
12. Arjariya A, Chaurasia K. Some medicinal plants among the tribes of Chhatarpur district (M. P) India. Ecoprint 2009;16:43-50.
13. Khare CP. (Ed.). Indian Medicinal Plants-An Illustrated Dictionary. Springer, New York, USA; 2007. p. 205-6.
14. Rathod D, Patel I. Biodiversity of economically important trees of Patan District (North Gujarat). Life Sci Leaflets 2012:89-95.
15. Noumi E, Dibakto TW. Medicinal plants used for peptic ulcer in the Bangangte region, Western Cameroon. Fitoterapia 2000;71:406-12.
16. Vedavathy S, Sudhakar A, Mrdula V. Tribal medicinal plants of Chittoor. Ancient Sci Life 1997;16:307-31.
17. Adje FA, Lozanoa YF, Gerneveb CL, Lozanoa PR, Meudecb E, Adimac AA, Gaydoue EM. Phenolic acid and flavonol water extracts of Delonix regia red flowers. Ind Crops Prod 2012;37:303-10.
18. Radhaiah A, Suman B, Babu S, Muniswamy D. Phytochemical screening and anticandid activity of selected plants of genus Caesalpinia. Indian J Plant Sci 2012;1:239-43.
19. Rajabhau SS, Karnakumar VB, Basavaraj VC, Shambhulingayya M, Veerana G. In-vivo antidiarrhoeal activity of ethanolic extract of Delonix regia flowers in experimental induced diarrhoea in Wistar albino rats. Int J Res Pharm Chem 2011;1:442-7.
20. Salman A, Toseef S, Mohtasheemul HM, Iqbal A. Antiemetic activity of leaves extracts of five leguminous plants. Int J Res Ayurveda Pharm 2012;3:251-3.
21. Deepa B, Remadevi OK. Larvicidal activity of the flowers of Delonix regia (Bojer ex Hook.) Rafin. (Fabales: Fabaceae) against the teak defoliator, Hyblaea puera. Cramer Curr Biotica 2011;5:237-40.
22. Murthy JM, Rani PU. Biological activity of certain botanical extracts as larvicides against the yellow fever mosquito, Aedes aegypti. L. J Biopestic 2009;2:72-6.
23. Ahmed J, Nirmal S, Dhasade V, Patil A, Kadam S, Pal A, et al. Hepatoprotective activity of methanol extract of aerial parts of Delonix regia. Phytopharmacology 2011;1:118-22.
24. Azab SS, Abdel-Daim M, Eldahshan OA. Phytochemical, cytotoxic, hepatoprotective and antioxidant properties of Delonix regia leaves extract. Med Chem Res 2013;22:4269-77.
25. Shiramane RS, Biradar KV, Chivde BV, Shambhulingayya HM, Goud V. In-vivo antidiarrhoel activity of ethanolic extract of Delonix regia flowers in experimental induced diarrhea in wistar albino rats. Int J Res Pharm Chem 2011;1:442-7.
26. Sarin RV, Bafna PA. Herbal antidiarrhoeals: a review. Int J Res Pharm Biomed Sci 2012;3:637-49.
27. Ahirrao RA, Patel MR, Hamid S, Patil JK. In-vitro anthelmintic property of Gulmohar flowers against Pheritima posthuma. Pharmacologyonline 2011;1:728-32.
28. Chitra V, Ilango K, Rajanandh MG, Soni D. Evaluation of Delonix regia Linn. Flowers for antiarthritic and antioxidant activity in female wistar rats. Ann Biol Res 2010;1:142-7.
29. Roy SP, Prajapati K, Gupta R, Bhandra D, Patel N, Batiwala A, et al. Evaluation of anti-ulcer effects of ethanolic extract of Delonix regia flower. Indian J Res Pharm Biotechnol 2013;1:440-5.
30. Rupal AV, Savalia DM, Narasimhacharya AVRL. Plant extracts as biotermiticides. Electronic J Environ Sci 2011;4:73-7.
31. Rahman MM, Hasan MN, Das AK, Hossain MT, Jahan R, Khatun MA, et al. Effect of Delonix regia leaf extract on glucose tolerance in glucose-induced hyperglycemic mice. Afr J Tradit Complementary Altern Med 2011;8:34-6.
32. Khan MA, Saxena A, Fatima FT, Sharma G, Goud V, Husain A. Study of wound healing activity of Delonix regia flowers in experimental animal models. Am J PharmTech Res 2012;2:380-90.
33. Shewale VD, Deshmukh TA, Patil LS, Patil VR. Anti-inflammatory activity of Delonix regia (Boj. Ex. Hook). Adv Pharmacol Sci doi 2012;10:1155/2012/789713. [Article in Press]
34. Fatmawaty, Fadilah, Astuti H. Antimalarial activity of Delonix regia on mice with Plasmodium berghei. J Nat Prod 2013;6:61-6.
35. Aina SA, Bano AD, Lawal OA, Okoh HI, Aina OO, Dedeke GA. The toxicity of extracts of Tetrapleura tetraptera (Aridan), Delonix regia (Flame of the Forest) and Raphia vinifera (Raffia Palm) on the larvae of Anopheles gambiae. Acad J Entomol 2009;2:67-70.
36. Sidhu MC, Sharma T. A database of antidiabetic plant species of family Asteraceae, Euphorbiaceae, Fabaceae, Lamiaceae and Moraceae. Int J Herb Med 2013;1:187-99.
37. Preethi PJ. Herbal medicine for diabetes mellitus: a review. Int J Phytopharm 2013;3:1-22.
38. Logeeswari K, Sripathi SK. Wound healing medicinal plants: a review. Int J Chem Environ Pharm Res 2012;3:199-218.
39. ICAR. DARE-ICAR Annual Report, 2002-2003. Department of Agricultural Research and Education, Ministry of Agriculture, Government of India; 2003. p. 110.
40. Ankrah NA, Nyarko AK, Addo PG, Ofosuhene M, Dzokoto C, Marley E, et al. Evaluation of efficacy and safety of herbal medicine used for the treatment of malaria. Phytother Res 2003;17:697-701.
41. Karthika P, Jayshree N. Formulation and evaluation of sunscreen cream containing flower extract of Delonix regia. Int J Pharm Integrated Life Sci 2013;1:111-29.
42. Shabir G, Anwar F, Sultana B, Khalid ZM, Afzal M, Khan QM, et al. Antioxidant and antimicrobial attributes and phenolics of different solvent extracts from leaves, flowers and bark of Gold Mohar [Delonix regia (Bojer ex Hook.) Raf.] Molecules 2011;1:7302-19.
43. Sharma RA, Chandrawat P, Sharma S, Sharma D, Sharma B, Singh D. Efficacy of Delonix regia Rafin (syn. Poinciana regia Bojer ex. Hook) for potential antifungal activity. Bioscan 2010;5:441-4.
44. Rani JMJ, Chandramohan G, Kumaravel S. Evaluation of antimicrobial activity of some garden plant leaves against Lactobacillus sp, Streptococcus mitis, Candida albicans and Aspergillus niger. Afr J Basic Appl Sci 2012;4:139-42.
45. Khursheed R, Naz A, Naz E, Sharif H, Rizwani GAH. Antibacterial, antimycelial and phytochemical analysis of Ricinus communis Linn, Trigonella foenum grecum Linn and Delonix regia (Bojer ex Hook) Raf of Pakistan. Rom Biotechnol Lett 2012;17:7237-44.
46. Sama K, Raja AXV, Yadav RH. Antibacterial and pharmacognostical evaluation of Delonix regia root bark. Int J Pharm Life Sci 2012;3:1628-30.
47. Jahan I, Rahman MS, Rahman MZ, Kaisar MA, Islam MS, Wahab A, et al. Chemical and biological investigations of Delonix regia (Bojer ex Hook.) Raf. Acta Pharm 2010;6:207-15.
48. Salem MZM. Evaluation of the antibacterial activities of stem bark extracts of Delonix regia and Erythrina humeana grown in Egypt. J For Prod Ind 2013;2:48-52.
49. Vivek MN, Sachidananda Swamy HC, Manasa M, Pallavi S, Kambar Y, Asha MM, et al. Antimicrobial and antioxidant activity of leaf and flower extract of Caesalpinia pulcherrima, Delonix regia and Peltaphorum ferrugineum. J Appl Pharm Sci 2013;3:64-71.
50. Dhanalakshmi D, Manimegalai K. Antibacterial activity of leaf and seed extracts of Delonix regia and Achyranthus aspera against selected bacterial strains. Int J Pharma Med Biol Sci 2013;2:31-5.
51. Udaya Prakash NK, Bhuvaneswari S, Balamurugan A, Ashwin Karthik N, Deepa S, Hima A, et al. Studies on bioactivity and phytochemistry of leaves of common trees. Int J Res Pharm Sci 2013;4:476-81.
52. Aqil F, Ahmad I. Broad-spectrum antibacterial and antifungal properties of certain traditionally used Indian medicinal plants. World J Microbiol Biotechnol 2003;19:653-7.
53. Bhati PC, Dwivedi SC. Efficacy of foliar extract of Delonix regia against Callosobruchus chinesis (L.). Natl J Life Sci 2011;8:139-41.
54. Shanmukha I, Patel H, Patel J, Riyazunnisa. Quantification of total phenol and flavonoid content of Delonix regia flowers. Int J Chem Tech Res 2011;3:280-3.
55. Aqil F, Ahmad I, Mehmood Z. Antioxidant and free radical scavenging properties of twelve traditionally used Indian medicinal plants. Turk J Biol 2006;30:177-83.
56. Rani PMJ, Kannan PSM, Kumaravel S. Screening of antioxidant activity, total phenolics and gas chromatograph and mass spectrometer (GC-MS) study of Delonix regia. Afr J Biochem Res 2011;5:341-7.
57. Chai WM, Shi Y, Feng HL, Qui L, Zhou HC, Deng ZW, et al. NMR, HPLC-ESI-MS and MALDI-TOF MS analysis of condensed tannins from Delonix regia (Bojer ex Hook.) Raf. and their bioactivities. J Agric Food Chem 2012;60:5013-22.
58. Veigas JM, Narayan MS, Chidambaramurthy KN, Neelwarne B. Antioxidative efficacies of floral petal extracts of Delonix regia Rafin. Int J Biomed Pharm Sci 2007;1:73-82.
59. Parekh J, Chanda SV. In-vitro activity and phytochemical analysis of some Indian medicinal plants. Turk J Biol 2007;31:53-8.
60. Sama K, Raja AXV. Preliminary phytochemical screening of root bark of Delonix regia. Int Res J Pharm 2011;2:42-3.
61. Sarangapani S, Rajappan M. Pharmacognostical and pharmaceutical characterization of Delonix regiaâ€“A novel matrix forming natural polymer. Int J Pharm 2012;2:564-73.
62. Adewuyi A, Oderinde RA, Rao BVSK, Prasad RBN, Anjaneyulu B. Chemical component and fatty acid distribution of Delonix regia and Peltophorum pterocarpum seed oils. Food Sci Technol Res 2010;16:565-70.
63. Jungalwala FB, Chama HR. Carotenoids in Delonix regia (Gul Mohr) flowers. Biochem J 1962;85:1-8.
64. Adje F, Lozano YF, Meudec E, Lozano P, Adima A, Nâ€™zi GA, et al. Anthocyanin Characterization of pilot plant water extracts of Delonix regia flowers. Molecules 2008;13:1238-45.
65. Veigas JM, Divya P, Neelwarne B. Identification of previously unreported pigments among carotenoids and anthocyanins in floral petals of Delonix regia (Hook.) Raf. Food Res Int 2012;47:116-23.
66. Vankar PS, Shankar R. Eco-friendly pretreatment of silk fabric for dying with Delonix regia Rafin extract. Color Technol 2009;125:155-60.
67. Adetogun GE, Alebiowu G. Properties of Delonix regia seed gum as a novel tablet binder. Acta Pol Pharm-Drug Res 2009;66:433-8.
68. Indhumati P, Syed Shabhudeen SP, Saraswathy CP. Synthesis and characterization of nano silica from the pods of Delonix regia ash. Int J Adv Eng Technol 2011;2:421-6.
69. Sugumaran P, Susan VP, Ravichandran P, Seshadri S. Production and characterization of activated carbon from banana empty fruit bunch and Delonix regia fruit pod. J Sustainable Energy Environ 2012;3:125-32.
70. Singh S, Bothara SB, Singh S, Patel R, Ughreja R. Preliminary pharmaceutical characterization of some flowers as natural indicator. Pharm Res 2011;5:213-20.
71. Pando SC, Macedo ML, Freire MG, Toyama MH, Novello JC, Marangoni S. Biochemical characterization of a lectin from Delonix regia seeds. J Protein Chem 2002;21:279-85.
72. Pando SC, Oliva ML, Sampaio CA, Di Ciero L, Novello JC, Marangoni S. Primary sequence determination of a Kunitz inhibitor isolated from Delonix regia seeds. Phytochemistry 2001;57:625-31.