SIMPLE HPLC-UV METHOD FOR DETERMINATION OF METFORMIN IN HUMAN PLASMA AND ERYTHROCYTES APPLICATION TO THERAPEUTIC DRUG MONITORING
Objective: The aim of this study was to develop a simple, rapid, efficient, cost effective and reproducible, stability indicating reverse phase high performance liquid chromatography method (RP-HPLC) for dosage of metformin in human plasma and erythrocytes.
Methods: In this method, the plasma or erythrocyte proteins were precipitated using Perchloric acid: acetonitrile (50 % v/v) mixture and the supernatant liquid were injected into the HPLC system. The separation was achieved with a symmetry C8 column with the mobile phase containing 10 % water and 90 % sodium dihydrogen phosphate buffer (5.8 mM), the pH was adjusted to 3.8 with Phosphoric acid. The temperature was elevated to 25 Â°C. The detection was done by a UV detector at 232 nm.
Results: The retention time was observed at around 4.412 min for metformin and 6.022 for lansoprazole an internal standard (IS). The response was linear over a range of 2-32Âµg ml-1, the coefficient of determination (rÂ²) was found to be (rÂ² =0. 9988). The lowest limit of quantification and detection was 0.1 Âµg/ml and 0.3Âµg/ml respectively. No endogenous substances were found to interfere with the peaks of the drug. The intra-day and inter-day coefficient of variations was 2.1 % or less for all the selected concentrations. The relative errors at all the studied concentrations were 3.5 % or less.
Conclusion: The HPLC method described in this article was simple, selective, reproducible, linear, and precise, it can be applied for therapeutic drug monitoring of metformin in human plasma and erythrocytes.
2. Lalau JD, Lacroix C. Measurement of metformin concentration in erythrocytes: clinical implications. Diabetes Obes Metab 2003;5:93-8.
3. Orban JC, Ghaddab A, Chatti O, Ichai C. Acidose lactique et metformine. Ann Fr Anesth Reanim 2006;25:1046-52.
4. PentikÃ¤inen PJ, Neuvonen PJ, PenttilÃ¤ A. Pharmacokinetics of metformin after intravenous and oral administration to man. Eur J Clin Pharmacol 1979;16:195-202.
5. Wilcock C, Wyre ND, Bailey CJ. Subcellular distribution of metformin in rat liver. J Pharm Pharmacol 1991;43:442-4.
6. Aburuz S, Millership J, Mcelnay J. Determination of metformin in plasma using a new ion pair solid phase extraction technique and ion pair liquid chromatography. J Chromatogr B: Biomed Sci Appl 2003;798:203-9.
7. Porta V, Schramm SG, Kano EK, Koono EE, Armando YP, Fukuda K, et al. HPLC-UV determination of metformin in human plasma for application in pharmacokinetics and bioequivalence studies. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2008;46:143-7.
8. Zarghi A, Foroutan SM, Shafaati A, Khoddam A. Rapid determination of metformin in human plasma using ion-pair HPLC. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2003;31:197-200.
9. Radulescu M, David V. Partition versus electrostatic model applied to the ion-pairing retention process of some guanidine based compounds. J Liq Chromatogr Relat Technol 2012;35:2042-53.
10. Zhang M, Moore GA, Lever M, Gardiner SJ, Kirkpatrick CM, Begg EJ. Rapid and simple high-performance liquid chromatographic assay for the determination of metformin in human plasma and breast milk. J Chromatogr B: Anal Technol Biomed Life Sci 2002;766:175-9.
11. Charles BG, Jacobsen NW, Ravenscroft PJ. Rapid liquid-chromatographic determination of metformin in plasma and urine. Clin Chem 1981;27:434-6.
12. David V, Medvedovici A, Albu F. Retention behavior of metformin and related impurities in ionâ€pairing liquid chromatography. J Liq Chromatogr Relat Technol 2005;28:81-95.
13. Huupponen R, Ojala-Karlsson P, Rouru J, Koulu M. Determination of metformin in plasma by high-performance liquid chromatography. J Chromatogr B: Biomed Sci Appl 1992;583:270-3.
14. Chen X, Gu Q, Qiu F, Zhong D. Rapid determination of metformin in human plasma by liquid chromatographyâˆ’ tandem mass spectrometry method. J Chromatogr B: Biomed Sci Appl 2004;802:377-81.
15. Wang Y, Tang Y, Gu J, Fawcett JP, Bai X. Rapid and sensitive liquid chromatographyâ€“tandem mass spectrometric method for the quantitation of metformin in human plasma. J Chromatogr B: Biomed Sci Appl 2004;808:215-9.
16. Somogyi A, Stockley C, Keal J, Rolan P, Bochner F. Reduction of metformin renal tubular secretion by cimetidine in man. Br J Clin Pharmacol 1987;23:545-51.
17. Vesterqvist O, Nabbie F, Swanson B. Determination of metformin in plasma by high-performance liquid chromatography after ultrafiltration. J Chromatogr B: Biomed Sci Appl 1998;716:299-304.
18. Cheng CL, Chou CH. Determination of metformin in human plasma by high-performance liquid chromatography with spectrophotometric detection. J Chromatogr B: Biomed Sci Appl 2001;762:51-8.
19. Sambol NC, Chiang J, Lin ET, Goodman AM, Liu CY, Benet LZ, et al. Kidney function and age are both predictors of pharmacokinetics of metformin. J Clin Pharmacol 1995;35:1094-102.
20. Amini H, Ahmadiani A, Gazerani P. Determination of metformin in human plasma by high-performance liquid chromatography. J Chromatogr B: Anal Technol Biomed Life Sci 2005;824:319-22.
21. Lacroix C, Danger P, Wojciechowski F. Microdosage de la metformine plasmatique et intra-Ã©rythrocyataire par chromatographie en phase liquide. Ann Biol Clin 1991;49:98-101.
22. Yuen KH, Peh KK. Simple high-performance liquid chromatographic method for the determination of metformin in human plasma. J Chromatogr B: Biomed Sci Appl 1998;710:243-6.
23. Deveaux M, Dallet P, Quintin C, Nisse P, Gosset D. Ultra-short determination of metformin in plasma by hydrophilic interaction liquid chromatography. Ann Toxicol Anal 2002;14:125-8.
24. Robert F, Fendri S, Hary L, Lacroix C, AndrÃ©jak M, Lalau JD. Kinetics of plasma and erythrocyte metformin after acute administration in healthy subjects. Diabetes Metab 2003;29:279â€“83.
25. Lalau JD, Lacroix C, Couragon P, Decagney B, Rigaud JP, Bleichner G, et al. Role of metformin accumulation in metformin-associated lactic acidosis. Diabetes Care 1995;18:779-84.
26. Setter SM, Iltz JL, Thams J, Campbell RK. Metformin hydrochloride in the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus: a clinical review with a focus on dual therapy. Clin Ther 2003;25:2991-3026.
27. Howlett HC, Bailey CJ. A risk-benefit assessment of metformin in type 2 diabetes mellitus. Drug Saf 1999;20:489-503.
28. Misbin RI, Green L, Stadel BV, Gueriguian JL, Gubbi A, Fleming GA. Lactic acidosis in patients with diabetes treated with metformin. N Engl J Med 1998;338:265-6.
29. Lalau JD, Race JM. Lactic acidosis in metformin-treated patients. Prognostic value of arterial lactate levels and plasma metformin concentrations. Drug Saf 1999;20:377-84.
30. Al-Jebawi AF, Lassman MN, Abourizk NN. Lactic acidosis with therapeutic metformin blood level in a low-risk diabetic patient. Diabetes Care 1998;21:1364.