MANGIFERIN: A POTENTIAL NATURAL MOLECULE FOR MANAGEMENT OF METABOLIC SYNDROME
The incidence of metabolic syndrome is rising at an unprecedented pace. The technological advancements, lifestyle changes and mechanization are all considered responsible for this rising global health issue. Nature-derived phytochemicals possess several unique properties that may be usefulformanagement of metabolic syndrome. Mangiferin, present in various plant species, has been shown to have anti-obesity, anti-diabetic, anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Mangiferin also modulates glucose and lipid metabolisms and restores glucose and lipid homeostasis.
In this review, we attempt to provide the latest information available on mangiferin and its effects on various biological processes associated/implicated in metabolic syndrome.
2. http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs311/en. [Last accessed on 10 Apr 2015]
3. Cho YH, Ahn SC, Lee SY, Jeong DW, Choi EJ, Kim YJ, et al. Effect of korean red ginseng on insulin sensitivity in non-diabetic healthy overweight and obese adults. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 2013;22:365-71.
4. Park J, Jeon YD, Kim HY, Lim H, Jung Y, Youn DH, et al. Interaction of Veratrum nigrum with Panax ginseng against obesity: A Sang-ban relationship. J Evidence-Based Complementary Altern Med 2013; doi.org/10.1155/2013/732126. [Article in Press]
5. Yu L, Liao Y, Wu H, Zhao J, Wu L, Shi Y, Fang J. Effects of electroacupuncture and Chinese kidney-nourishing medicine on polycystic ovary syndrome in obese patients. J Tradit Chin Med 2013;33:287-9.
6. Jung HY, Kim YH, Kim IB, Jeong JS, Lee JH, Do MS, et al. The korean mistletoe (viscum albumcoloratum) extract has an antiobesity effect and protects against hepaticsteatosis in mice with high-fat diet-induced obesity. J Evidence-Based Complementary Altern Med 2013; doi.org/10.1155/2013/168207. [Article in Press]
7. Garrido G, GonzÃ¡lez D, Delporte C, Backhouse N, Quintero G, NÃºÃ±ez-SellÃ©s AJ. Analgesic and anti-inflammatory effects of Mangifera indica L. extract (Vimang). Phytother Res 2001;15:18-21.
8. Matkowski A, KuÅ› P, GÃ³ralska E, WoÅºniak D. Mangiferin-a bioactive xanthonoid, not only from mango and not just antioxidant. Mini Rev Med Chem 2013;13:439-55.
9. Raihan HM, Nan C, Yuling C. Therapeutic potential of the natural product mangiferin in metabolic syndrome. J Nutr Ther 2013;2:74-9.
10. Ma H, Chen H, Sun L, Tong L, Zhang T. Improving permeability and oral absorption of mangiferin by phospholipid complexation. Fitoterapia 2014;93:54-61.
11. Yang X, Zhao Y, Chen Y, Liao X, Gao C, Xiao D. Host-guest inclusion system of mangiferin with Î²-cyclodextrin and its derivatives. Mater Sci Eng C: Mater Biol Appl 2013;33:2386-91.
12. Kobayashi M, Matsui-Yuasa I, Fukuda-Shimizu M, Mandai Y, Tabuchi M, Munakata H, et al. Effect of mango seed kernel extract on the adipogenesis in 3T3-L1 adipocytes and in rats fed a high fat diet. Health 2013;5:9-15.
13. Moreno DA, Ripoll C, Ilic N, Poulev A, Aubin C, Raskin I. Inhibition of lipid metabolic enzymes using Mangifera indica extracts. J Food Agric Environ 2006;4:21-6.
14. Guo F, Huang C, Liao X, Wang Y, He Y, Feng R, et al. Beneficial effects of mangiferin on hyperlipidemia in high-fat-fed hamsters. Mol Nutr Food Res 2011;55:1809-18.
15. Niu Y, Li S, Na L, Feng R, Liu L, Li Y. Mangiferin decreases plasma free fatty acids through promoting its catabolism in liver by activation of AMPK. PLoS One 7: e30782. doi: 10.1371/journal. pone.0030782. [Epub 23 Jan 2012].
16. Kankanampati K, Mishra R, Pushkala K, Velayudam D, Kapur S. Ethanolic extract of Mangifera indica seed kernel ameliorates visceral fat via improvement in lipid metabolism in high fat diet induced obese mice. J Pharm Res 2012;5:4974-8.
17. Darshan SK, Yuriko A, Sumeet S, Dawn MF. Modulation of atherosclerosis by N-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids. In: Bidlack WR, Rodriguez RL. Nutritional Genomics: The Impact of Dietary Regulation of Gene Function on Human Disease. CRC press; 2011. p. 139â€“60
18. Weisberg SP, McCann D, Desai M, Rosenbaum M, Leibel RL, Ferrante AW. Obesity is associated with macrophage accumulation in adipose tissue. J Clin Invest 2003;112:1796â€“808.
19. Jager J, GrÃ©meaux T, Cormont M, Marchand-Brustel Y, Tanti JF. Interleukin-1Î²-induced insulin resistance in adipocytes through down-regulation of insulin receptor substrate-1 expression. Endocrinology 2007;148:241â€“51.
20. Hotamisligil GS, Shargill NS, Spiegelman BM. Adipose expression of tumor necrosis factor-alpha: direct role in obesity-linked insulin resistance. Science 1993;259:87-91.
21. Leiro J, Arranz JA, YÃ¡Ã±ez M, Ubeira FM, SanmartÃn ML, Orallo F. Expression profiles of genes involved in the mouse nuclear factor-kappa B signal transduction pathway are modulated by mangiferin. Int Immunopharmacol 2004;4:763-78.
22. Shinozaki S, Choi CS, Shimizu N, Yamada M, Kim M, Zhang T, et al. Liver-specific inducible nitric-oxide synthase expression is sufficient to cause hepatic insulin resistance and mild hyperglycemia in mice. J Biol Chem 2011;286:34959â€“75.
23. MÃ¡rquez L, GarcÃa-Bueno B, Madrigal JL, Leza JC. Mangiferin decreases inflammation and oxidative damage in rat brain after stress. Eur J Nutr 2012;51:729-39.
24. Leiro JM, Alvarez E, Arranz JA, Siso IG, Orallo F. In vitro effects of mangiferin on superoxide concentrations and expression of the inducible nitric oxide synthase, tumour necrosis factor-Î± and transforming growth factor-Î² genes. Biochem Pharmacol 2003;65:1361-71.
25. Gong X, Zhang L, Jiang R, Ye M, Yin X, Wan J. Anti-inflammatory effects of mangiferin on sepsis-induced lung injury in mice via up-regulation of heme oxygenase-1. J Nutr Biochem 2013;24:1173-81.
26. Bhatia HS, Candelario-Jalil E, De Oliveira AC, Olajide OA, MartÃnez-SÃ¡nchez G, Fiebich BL. Mangiferin inhibits cyclooxygenase-2 expression and prostaglandin E2 production in activated rat microglial cells. Arch. Biochem. Biophys 2008;477:253-8.
27. FernÃ¡ndez-SÃ¡nchez A, Madrigal-SantillÃ¡n E, Bautista M, Esquivel-Soto J, Morales-GonzÃ¡lez A, Esquivel-Chirino C, et al. Inflammation, oxidative Stress, and obesity. Int J Mol Sci 2011;12:3117â€“32.
28. Luo F, Lv Q, Zhao Y, Hu G, Huang G, Zhang J, et al. Quantification and purification of mangiferin from Chinese mango (Mangifera indica L.) cultivars and its protective effect on human umbilical vein endothelial cells under H2O2-induced stress. Int J Mol Sci 2012;13:11260-74.
29. Folli F, Corradi D, Fanti P, Davalli A, Paez A, Giaccari A, et al. The role of oxidative stress in the pathogenesis of type 2 diabetes mellitus micro-and macrovascular complications: avenues for a mechanistic-based therapeutic approach. Curr Diabetes Rev 2011;7:313-24.
30. Pandey KB, Mishra N, Rizvi S. Protein oxidation biomarkers in plasma of type 2 diabetic patients. Clin Biochem 2010;43:508-11.
31. Tiwari BK, Pandey KB, Abidi AB, Rizvi SI. Markers of oxidative stress during diabetes mellitus. J Biomarkers 2013;1-8. doi.org/10.1155/2013/378790. [Article in Press]
32. Das J, Ghosh J, Roy A, Parames CS. Mangiferin exerts hepatoprotective activity against D-galactosamine induced acute toxicity and oxidative/nitrosative stress via Nrf2â€“NFÎºB pathways. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 2012;260:35-47.
33. Sellamuthu PS, Arulselvan P, Kamalraj S, Fakurazi IS, Kandasamy M. Protective nature of mangiferin on oxidative stress and antioxidant status in tissues of streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. ISRN Pharmacol 2013; doi.org/10.1155/2013/750109. [Article in Press]
34. Kumar BD, Krishnakumar K, Jaganathan SK, Mandal M. Effects of mangiferin and mahanimbine on glucose utilization in 3T3-L1 cells. Pharmacogn Mag 2013;9:72-5.
35. GirÃ³n MD, Sevillano N, Salto R, Haidour A, Manzano M, JimÃ©nez ML. Salacia oblonga extract increases glucose transporter 4-mediated glucose uptake in L6 rat myotubes: role of mangiferin. Clin Nutr 2009;28:565-74.
36. Im R, Mano H, Matsuura T, Nakatani S, Shimizu J, Wada M. Mechanisms of blood glucose-lowering effect of aqueous extract from stems of Kothala himbutu (Salacia reticulata) in the mouse. J Ethnopharmacol 2009;121:234-40.
37. Sellamuthu PS, Muniappan BP, Perumal SM, Kandasamy M. Antihyperglycemic Effect of mangiferin in Streptozotocin induced diabetic rats. J Health Sci 2009;55:206-14.
38. Prashanth D, Amit A, Samiulla DS, Asha MK, Padmaja R. Î±-Glucosidase inhibitory activity of Mangifera indica bark. Fitoterapia 2001;72:686-8.
39. Yoshikawa M, Nishida N, Shimoda H, Takada M, Kawahara Y, Matsuda H. Polyphenol constituents from Salacia species: quantitative analysis of mangiferin with glucosidase and aldose reductase inhibitory activities. J Pharm Soc Jap 2001;121:371-8.
40. Hu HG, Wang MJ, Zhao QJ, Yu SC, B Liu, CM Wu OY. Synthesis of mangiferin derivates and study their potent PTP1B inhibitory activity. Chin Chem Lett 2007;18:1323-6.
41. Sellamuthu PS, Arulselvan P, Muniappan BP, Murugesan K. Effect of mangiferin isolated from Salacia chinensis regulates the kidney carbohydrate metabolism in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed 2012;S1583-7.
42. Sellamuthu PS, Arulselvan P, Muniappan BP, Fakurazi S, Kandasamy M. Mangiferin from Salacia chinensis prevents oxidative stress and protects pancreatic Î²-cells in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. J Med Food 2013;16:719-27.
43. Sellamuthu PS, Arulselvan P, Fakurazi S, Kandasamy M. Beneficial effects of mangiferin isolated from Salacia chinensis on biochemical and hematological parameters in rats with streptozotocin-induced diabetes. Pak J Pharm Sci 2014;27:161-7.
44. Liu YW, Zhu X, Zhang L, Lu Q, Wang JY, Zhang F. Up-regulation of glyoxalase-1 by mangiferin prevents diabetic nephropathy progression in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Eur J Pharmacol 2013;721:355-64.
45. Gupta R, Gupta RS. Antidiabetic efficacy of Mangifera indica seed kernels in rats: a comparative study with glibenclamide. Diabetol Croatica 2011;40:107â€12.
46. Li XJ, Du ZC, Huang Y, Liu BM, Hu WJ, Lu WJ, et al. Synthesis and hypoglycemic activity of esterified-derivatives of mangiferin. Chin J Nat Med 2013;11:296-301.