EFFECT OF ETHANOLIC EXTRACT OF TERMINALIA ARJUNA ON LIVER FUNCTIONS AND HISTOPATHOLOGY OF LIVER IN ALBINO RATS FED WITH HYPERLIPIDEMIC DIET
Objective: The aim of the present study was to assess the effect of Ethanolic extract of Terminalia Arjuna on Liver functions, Lipid profile and histopathology of liver of albino rats fed with Hyperlipidemic diet.
Methods: Extraction of Terminalia arjuna bark by Soxhlet apparatus using 99% ethanol at 60 Â° temp for 22 h and Phytochemical analysis was done. Group 1 served as normal control. Group 2 Fed with Isocaloric diet. Group 3 Fed with Hyperlipidimic diet. Group 4 Hyperlipidemic diet 21 d+Terminalia arjuna 21 d.
Dose of Ethonolic extract of Terminalia arjuna: (500 mg/kg Body weight daily).
Results: %body weight gain and hepatosomatic index were significantly improved in hyper lipidemic rats treated with Terminalia arjuna. There was significant improvement in markers of liver functions. Liver shown microvescicular and macrovesicular fatty changes in hyper lipidemic rats and normal Hepatocytes in Hyperlipidimic rats treated with Terminalia arjuna.
Conclusion: It can be summarized that Terminalia arjuna is good, natural therapeutics in hyperlipidemia and liver disorders.
2. Dwivedi, Shridhar, Deepti Chopra. Revisiting Terminalia Arjunaâ€“An ancient cardiovascular drug. J Traditional Complementary Med 2015;4:224â€“31.
3. Saravanan Subramaniam, Ramachandran Subramaniam, Suja Rajapandian, Subasini Uthrapathi, Victor Rajamanickam Gnanamanickam, Govinda Prasad Dubey. Anti-atherogenic activity of ethanolic fraction of terminalia arjuna bark on hypercholesterolemic rabbits. Evidence-Based Complementary Altern Med 2009;2011:1-8.
4. P Doorika,T Ananthi. Antioxidant and hepatoprotective properties of Terminalia Arjuna bark on isoniazid induced toxicity in albino rats. Asian J Pharm Tech 2012;2:15-8.
5. Akanksha PS VishwakarmaÌ‡Ì‡Ì‡Ì‡, Akash Vishwe, Prashant Sahu, Anand Chaurasiya. Screening of hepatoprotective potential of ethanolic and aqueous extract of Terminalia Arjuna bark against paracetamol/ccl4 induced liver damage in Wistar albino rats. Int J Pharm Arch 2013;2:243-50.
6. Nabil M taha, Abed Elwhaba Mandour, Mahdy K Mohamed, Rasha T emarha. Effect of sesame oil on serum and liver lipid profile in hyperlipidemic rats. Alexandria J Veterinary Sci 2014,42:17-25.
7. Narendra Kumar. Phytopharmacological overview on Terminalia Arjuna Wight and Arn. World J Pharm Sci 2014;2:1557-66.
8. Shreya Mandal, Arpita Patra, Animesh Samanta, Suchismita Roy, Arpita Mandal, Tapasi Das Mahapatra, et al. Analysis of phytochemical profile of Terminalia arjuna bark extract with antioxidative and antimicrobial properties. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed 2013;3:960-6.
9. Tiwari P, Kumar B, Kaur M, Kaur G, Kaur H. Phytochemical screening and extraction: a review. Int Pharm Sci 2011;1:103-4.
10. Ram A, Lauria P, Gupta R. Hypocholesterolaemic effects of Terminalia arjuna tree bark. J Ethnopharmacol 1997;55:165-9.
11. Bheemshetty S Patil, Shankreppa D Desai, Potekar RM. Effect of ethanolic extract of Emblica Officinalis (amla) on pathophysiology of liver in hyperlipidemic albino Wister rats. Int J Pharma Bio Sci 2015;6:(b)362â€“72.
12. Giboney PT. Mildly elevated liver transaminase levels in the asymptomatic patient. Am Fam Physician 2005;71:1105-10.
13. Anitha Uthandi, Karuppasamy Ramasamy. Hapatoprotective activity of sesame meal on high fat fed wistar rats. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2011;2:205-11.
14. Hardik Soni, Priyanka Desai, Natvarlal Patel, Ghanshyam Patel. Pharmacological investigation of polyherbal formulation on carbon tetrachloride (CCl4)-induced liver damage in Wistar rats. Int J Pharmacol Res 2014;4:106-10.
15. Kim E Barrett, Sysan M Barman, Scott Boitano, Heddwen L Brooks. Transport and metabolic functions of the liver. 23rd ed. In Gannongâ€™s Review of Medical Physiology. MC Graw Hill; 2010. p. 479-86.
16. Ragavan B, Krishnakumari S. Effect of T. Arjuna stem bark extract on histopathology of liver, kidney and pancreas of alloxan-induced diabetic rats. Afr J Biomed Res 2006;9:189â€“97.