SYNTHESIS, CHARACTERIZATION AND ANTIMICROBIAL EVALUATION OF SOME NEW BENZOTHIAZOLE DERIVATIVES
Objective: Synthesis, characterization and antimicrobial evaluation of some new 1,3-benzothiazolyl pyrazole derivatives.
Methods: Aseries of novel2-[3-(substituted phenyl)-4-formylpyrazol-1-yl]-6-chloro benzothiazole derivatives (5a-g) have been synthesized by cyclization through Vilsmeier-Haack reaction on hydrazones (4a-g)of substituted aromatic ketones with 6-chloro benzothiazol-2-yl hydrazine under microwave irradiation in fairly good yields. All the newly synthesized compounds were characterized by IR, 1HNMR, Mass spectral studies and elemental analysis and were screened for their in vitro antibacterial and antifungal activities also.
Results: The results revealed that all 1,3-benzothiazole pyrazole derivatives(5a-g) were synthesized in satisfactory yields and pharmacologically evaluated for their in vitro antimicrobial activity. All the synthesized compounds were in good agreement with elemental and spectral data. Some of the tested compounds showed good to moderate antimicrobial activity against all tested pathogenic bacterial and fungal strains.
Conclusion: For the present investigation we have prepared benzothiazole derivatives that are incorporated with pyrazolyl moiety with the hope of potentiating the activity of two such units in the same compound. Compounds 5b, 5c, and 5a showed excellent antibacterial and antifungal activities as compared to reference drugs norfloxacin and ketoconazole.
2. Caputo P, Calabro CS, Micale N. Synthesis of benzothiazole derivatives and their biological evaluation as anticancer agents. Med Chem Res 2012;21:2644-51.
3. Kamal A, Reddy KS, Khan MN. Synthesis, DNA-binding ability and anticancer activity of benzothiazole/benzoxazole-pyrrolo[2,1-c] [1,4]benzodiazepine conjugates. Bioorg Med Chem 2010;18:4747-61.
4. Shafi S, Alam MM, Mulakayala N. Synthesis of novel 2-mercapto benzothiazole and 1,2,3-triazole based bisheterocycles, their anti-inflammatory and anti-nociceptive activities. Eur J Med Chem 2012;49:324-33.
5. Amir M, Javed SA, Hassan ZM. Synthesis and antimicrobial activity of pyrazolinines and pyrazoles having benzothiazole moiety. Med Chem Res 2012;21:1261-70.
6. Asundaria ST, Patel KC. Synthesis, characterization and antimicrobial activity of thiazole, benzothiazole and pyrimidine derivatives bearing syndrome moieties. Pharm Chem Lett 2012;45:725-31.
7. Patil VS, Nandra KP, Ghosh S. Synthesis, crystal structure and antidiabetic activity of substituted (E)-3-(Benzo[d]thiazo-2-ylamino) phenylprop-2-en-1-one. Eur J Med Chem 2013;59:304-9.
8. Nagarajan SR, De Crescenzo GA, Getman DP. Discovery of novel benzothiazolesulfonamides as potent inhibitors of HIV-1 protease. Bioorg Med Chem 2003;11:4769-77.
9. Delmas F, Avellaneda A, Giorgio CD. Synthesis and antileishmanial activity of (1,3-benzothiazol-2-yl)amino-9(10H)-acridinone derivatives. Eur J Med Chem 2004;39:685-90.