SPECTROPHOTOMETRIC METHOD FOR THE ESTIMATION OF TOTAL ALKALOIDS IN THE TINOSPORA CORDIFOLIA M. AND ITS HERBAL FORMULATIONS
Objective: A simple spectrophotometric method was developed for the estimation of total alkaloids in Tinospora cordifolia M. and its formulations.
Methods: The method based on the formation of yellow colored complex by reaction between bromocresol green (BCG) and alkaloids in medicinal plants. A yellow colored complex forms is easily extractable by chloroform at pH 4.7.
Results: The method was linear in concentration range of 2-10 Î¼g/ml with Î»max at 415 nm. The LOD and LOQ were found to be 0.215 and 0.652 respectively. The intra-day and inter-day precision and accuracy were within the acceptable criteria (relative standard deviation<2.0% and accuracy within 100Â±2%).
Conclusion: The developed method is simple, precise and accurate and can be adopted for the routine quality control and standardization of plant materials containing alkaloids and its pharmaceutical products.
2. Anonymous. Quality standards of indian medicinal plants, Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR). Vol. I. New Delhi; 2005. p. 212-8.
3. Anonymous. Ayurvedic Pharmacopoeia of India. Part 1. Vol. 1. New Delhi: 2001. p. 53-5.
4. Srivastava P. Tinospora cordifolia (Amrita) A miracle herb and lifetime to many disease. Int J Med Aromat Plant 2011;1:57-61.
5. Zhao TF, Wang X, Rimando AM, Che C. Folkloric medicinal plant: tinospora sagittata var. cravaniana and mahonia bealei. Planta Med 1991;57:505.
6. Khosa RL, Prasad S. Pharmacognostical studies on gaduchi (Tinospora cordifolia M.). J Res Indian Med 1971;6:261-9.
7. Haussler A. Determination of micro amounts of alkaloids with tropeolin 'OO'. Deut Apotherker Ztg 1957;97:729-31.
8. Ravishankara MN, Shrivastava N, Mahendru N, Padh H, Rajani M. Spectrophotometric method for the estimation of alkaloids from cinchona officinalis stem bark and its formulations. Indian J Pharm Sci 2001;63:76-8.
9. Fazel S, Hamidreza M, Rouhollah G, Mohammadreza V. Spectrophotometric determination of total alkaloids in some Iranian medicinal plants. Thai J Pharm Sci 2008;32:17-20.
10. Fadhil S, Monsef H. Spectrophotometric determination of total alkaloids in Peganum harmala L. using Bromocresol green. Res J Phytochem 2007;1:79-82.
11. Anupama A, Rachana R, Sunita G, Gupta VK. A Simple spectrophotometric method for the determination of nicotine in environmental samples. J Chin Chem Soc 2004;51:949-53.
12. Biju J, Sulaiman CT, Satheesh G, Reddy VRK. Spectrophotometric estimation of total alkaloids in selected justicia species. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:647-8.
13. Anonymous, International Conference on Harmonization, Q2A Text on Validation of Analytical Procedures, International Conference on Harmonization, (CPMP/ICH/381/95); 1995.
14. Anonymous, International Conference on Harmonization, Q2B Validation of Analytical Procedures: Methodology, International Conference on Harmonization, (CPMP/ICH/ 381/ 95); 1996.
15. Narasimhan S, Shanta M. Spectrophotometric method for estimation of alkaloids precipitable with dragendorffâ€™s reagent in plant materials. J AOAC Int 2003;86:1124-7.
16. Oiruria VM. Determination of alkaloid content in different parts of Datura stramonium var tatula. Faculty of pharmacy, University of Nairobi; 2005. p. 12-25.
17. Harborne JB. Phytochemical methods. Chapman and hall ltd., London; 1998. p. 100-200.
18. Raheleh Z, Mona F, Zeinab M, Golam RG. Extraction and comparison of alkaloids in different organs during different phonological periods of Nitraria schoberi. Ann Biol Res 2013;4:130-5.