ANTI-DIABETIC EFFECT OF POLYHERBAL FORMULATION IN OGTT AND STREPTOZOTOCIN-INDUCED DIABETIC RAT MODEL
Objective: The present study investigates the efficacy of DiaKure, a poly herbal formulation composed of powder of different herbs on blood glucose level of normal and diabetic rats.
Methods: The raw materials were collected made it into a powder formulation. Streptozotocin 60 mg/kg was administered as a single i. p. Injection for induction of type 1 diabetes. After one week of streptozotocin injection, animals showing glycosuria (fasting blood sugar level>200 mg/dL) were considered as diabetic. The hypoglycemic activity and glucose tolerance test were studied in normal and Streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats after administration of DiaKure at a dose of 300 mg/kg. Blood glucose was determined by a glucose monitor.
Results: At a dose of 200 and 300 mg/kg p. o., DiaKure showed a hypoglycemic effect at a varying degree of significance (P<0.05-0.001) in normal rats in comparison with the respective control group. Maximum effect of DiaKure treatment in the glucose tolerance test occurred at 120thminute of glucose administration in normal rats.
Conclusion: The results indicate significant hypoglycemic activity of DiaKure in male albino rats.
2. Gerstain HC, Santaguida P, Raina P, Morrison KM. Annual incidence and relative risk of diabetes in people with various categories of dysglycemia: a systematic overview and meta-analysis of prospective studies. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 2007;78:305-1 2.
3. Bhatt N. Ayurvedic drug industry: challenges of today and tomorrow, Proceedings of the first national symposium of Ayurvedic drug industry, organized by ADMA, New Delhi; 1998.
4. Sharma N, Sharma M, Bindal MC. Potential antidiabetic herbal drugs. A comparative review of marketed products. Res J Pharmacogn Phytochem 2010;2:115-21.
5. Keshri Umashanker PD, Satish Chandra, Janardan Sharma. Antidiabetic efficacy of ethanolic extract of Holarrhena antidysenterica seeds in streptozotocinâ€“induced diabetic rats and its influence on certain biochemical parameters. J Drug Delivery Ther 2012;2:159-62.
6. Shivanisaini, Sunil Sharma. Antidiabetic effect of helianthus annuus seeds ethanolic extract in streptozotocin-nicotinamide induced type 2 diabetes mellitus. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2013;2:382-7.
7. Shirwaikar A, Rajendran K. Effect of aqueous bark extract of Garugapinnata Roxb. in streptozotocinâ€“nicotinamide induced type-II diabetes mellitus. J Ethnopharmacol 2006;107:285-90.
8. Mohammed Fazil Ahmed, Syed Mohammed Kazim, Syed Safiullah Ghori, Syeda Sughramehjabeen, Shaik Rasheed Ahmed, Shaik Mehboob Ali, et al. Antidiabetic activity of Vinca rosea extracts in alloxan-induced diabetic rats. Int J Endocrinol 2010;2:1-6.
9. A Navitha, DA Helen Sheeba, C Ramesh, M Sartaj Banu. Hypoglycemic and anti-diabetic activity of ethanolic extract of Catharanthus pusillus (murray) g. don. IOSR J Pharm 2012;4:17-21.
10. Vijayalakshmi M, Noor A, Gunasekaran S, Manickam AS. Antidiabetic activity of Aloe vera and histopathology of organs in Streptozotocin induced diabetic rats. Curr Sci 2008;94:1070.
11. Sanjay Kumar Karan, Dilipkumar Pal, Sagar Kumar Mishra. Anti-hyperglycaemic effect of Vetiveria zizanioides (L.) nash root extract in alloxan induced diabetic rats. Asian J Chem 2013;3:1555-7.
12. Teeraporn Katisart. Transient receptor potential function in bladder from control and streptozotocin treated rats. Ph. D Thesis, Faculty of Health and Human Sciences, University of Hertfordshire, UK; 2011.
13. A Akbarzadeh, D Norouzian, MR Mehrabi, Sh Jamshidi, A Farhangi, A Allah Verdi, et al. Induction of diabetes by streptozotocin in rats. Indian J Clin Biochem 2007;22:60-4.
14. Pries E, Garrity L, Kays N, McDaniel P. 0023-Growth hormone treatment of a child with growth hormone deficiency, type I diabetes and chronic steroid use. J Pediatric Nursing 2006;21:1-6.