INDIRECT SPECTROPHOTOMETRIC ESTIMATION OF DRUGS USING CERIUM (IV) AND RHODAMINE-B AS ANALYTICAL REAGENT
Objective: The object of this research was to develop simple, sensitive and selective methods for the quantitative determination of five drugs, viz., (RAM) Ramipril, (VOR) Voriconazole, (SDC) Sildenafil Citrate, (ITM) Imatinib mesylate and (CFH) Ciprofloxacin hydrochloride.
Methods: The method for each drug depends upon oxidation of drugs by Cerium [Ce (IV)] (Excess) and estimating the amount of unreacted Ce (IV) by Rhodamine-B dye at 557 nm. These methods have been applied to the determination of drugs in their pure form as well as in tablet formulations.
Results: Beer's law is obeyed in the concentration of 16-112, 15-105, 12-84, 8-56 and 2-14 Î¼g ml-1 for (RAM) Ramipril, (VOR) Voriconazole, (SDC) Sildenafil Citrate, (ITM) Imatinib mesylate and (CFH) Ciprofloxacin hydrochloride respectively. The results of analyses were validated statistically. Statistical comparison of the results with the reference method shows excellent agreement and indicates no significant difference in accuracy and precision. The effect of excipients has also been studied and found to have no effect. These methods have been validated in terms of guidelines of ICH.
Conclusion: The proposed methods have good selectivity and a correct sensibility; they rely on the use of simple and cheap chemicals, but provide similar sensitivity to that obtained with the HPLC; sophisticated and more expensive technique.
2. Warner TG, Perry MC. Ramipril: a review of its use in the prevention of cardiovascular outcomes. Drugs 2002;62:1381-405.
3. Lakshmi Sivasubramanian, Lakshmi Ks. Spectrophotometric multicomponent analysis of telmisartan, Hydrochlorothiazide and ramipril in pharmaceutical formulations by chemometric techniques. World J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;4:536-50.
4. Sweetman SC. Martindale: The Complete Drug Reference. 35 Edition Pharmaceutical Press: London; 2009. p. 550-1.
5. Ayman A, Gouda Ragaa, Sheikh El, Alaa S Amin, Sara H Ibrahim. Utility of certain Î£ and Î -Acceptors for the spectrophotometric determination of voriconazole antifungal drug in pharmaceutical formulation. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:126-33.
6. Berzas Nevado JJ, RodrÄ±guez J, Flores G, Castaneda Penalvo N, RodrÄ±guez Farinas. Determination of sildenafil citrate and its main metabolite by Sample stacking with polarity switching using micellar electrokinetic chromatography. J Chromatogr 2002;953:279â€“86.
7. Rajitha Balusani, Sayaji Rao. Spectrophotometric determination of antihypertensive drugs and pharmaceuticals. World J Pharm Res 2015;4:1983-98.
8. Yan Ma, Jeff J Hirst, Margaret von Mehren, Scott J Weir, Andrew K Godwin, Ziyan Y Pessetto. Drug repurposing identifies a synergistic combination therapy with imatinib mesylate for gastrointestinal stromal tumor. Mol Cancer Ther 2014;13:2276-87.
9. Rajitha Balusani, Sayaji Rao. Spectrophotometric determination of drugs and pharmaceuticals using Kmno4 as oxidant and amaranth dye as analytical reagent. World J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;4:1617-30.
10. Katakam Prakash, Karanam R, Sireesha. Simultaneous determination of ciprofloxacin hydrochloride and dexamethasone sodium phosphate in eye drops by HPLC. E J Chem 2012;9:1077-84.
11. Asad Raza, Tariq Mahmood Ansari. Spectrophotometric determination of citalopram hydrobromide in tablet dosage form using chloranil. Pak J Pharm Sci 2014;27:255-60.
12. Rajitha B, Sayaji Rao, Vinod Kumar T. Spectrophotometric determination of drugs and pharmaceuticals using cerium (IV) as oxidant and amaranth dye as an analytical reagent. IOSR J Appl Chem 2015;8:15-23.
13. Sasikala M, Sayanna K, Venkateshwarlu G. Spectro-photometric determination of drugs by using cerium (IV) and Rhodamine B couple as an analytical reagent. Int J Modern Eng Res 2015;5:48-57.
14. Sayanna K, Venkateshwarlu G. Spectrophotometric determination of drugs and pharmaceuticals by cerium (IV) amaranth dye couple. IOSR J Appl Chem 2013;5:1-9.
15. Sayanna K, Venkateshwarlu G. Spectrophotometric determination of cardiovascular drugs. Int J Modern Eng Res 2013;3:3079-85.
16. ICH, Q2A Text on Validation of Analytical Procedures, International Conference on Harmonization; 1994.
17. ICH, Q3B Validation of Analytical Procedures: Methodology, International Conference on Harmonization; 1996.