PHARMACOLOGICAL ACTION OF THE ACTIVE FRACTION-STEREOSPERMUM TETRAGONUM DC
Objective: The objective of the present study was to evaluate the mechanism of action of the active fraction of Stereospermum tetragonum.
Methods: An active fraction was isolated from the water extract (active extract by GTT) using ethanol precipitation. To get insight to the mechanism of action of the active fraction, glucose uptake by isolated rat diaphragm was performed. Further the effect of active fraction on glucose tolerance in fed rats was compared with that of fasted rats. Besides, effect of oral administration of the active fraction was compared with that of intra peritonial administration. The effect of active fraction on serum glucose levels in orally glucose loaded rats was compared with that of intra peritoneal glucose loaded rats.
Results: Glucose uptake in the isolated rat hemi-diaphragm, were increased by the active fraction at 40 Âµg/ml concentrations, the active fraction showed promising anti hyper glycemic activity in fed rats when compared with fasted rats. The active fraction was found to be effective in orally glucose loaded in contrast to intra peritonial route. The result shows that glucose absorbtion from an intestinal tract is inhibited by the active fraction.
Conclusion: Our findings suggest that this plant is promising for further studies leading to the development of valuable medicine for diabetes.
2. Wild S, Roglic G, Green A, Sicree R, King H. Global prevalence of diabetes: estimates for the year 2000 and projections for 2030. Diabetes Care 2004;27:1047â€“53.
3. Mohan V, Sudha V, Radhika G, Radha V, Rema M, Deepa R. Geneâ€“environment interactions and the diabetes epidemic in India. Forum Nutr 2007;60:118â€“26.
4. Devendra D, Liu E, Eisenbarth GS, Eisenbarth GS. Type 1 diabetes: recent developments. Br Med J 2004;328:750â€“4.
5. Eurich DT, McAlister FA, Blackburn DF, Majumdar SR, Tsuyuki RT, Varney J. Benefits and harms of antidiabetic agents in patients with diabetes and heart failure: systematic review. Br Med J 2007;335:497.
6. Sharma B, Balomajumder C, Roy P. Hypoglycemic and hypolipidemic effects of flavonoid rich extract from Eugenia jambolana seeds on streptozotocin induced diabetic rats. Food Chem Toxicol 2008;46:2376â€“83.
7. Kondeti VK, Badri KR, Maddirala DR, Thur SK, Fatima SS, Kasetti RB. Effect of Pterocarpus santalinus bark, on blood glucose, serum lipids, plasma insulin and hepatic carbohydrate metabolic enzymes in streptozotocin induced diabetic rats. Food Chem Toxicol 2009;48:1281â€“7.
8. Algandaby MM, Alghamdi H, Ashour OM, Abdel-Naim AB, Ghareib SA, Abdel-Sattar, et al. Mechanisms of the antihyperglycemic activity of Retama raetam in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Food Chem Toxicol 2010;48:2448â€“53.
9. Wagner H, Bladt S, Zgainski EM. Plant drug analysis. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg, New York, Tokyo; 1984.
10. Bino Kingsley R, Ajikumaran Nair S, Anil John J, Mishra M, Brindha P, Subramoniam A. Anti-diabetes mellitus activity of Stereospermum tetragonum DC. in alloxan diabetic rats J Pharmacol Pharmacother 2012;3:191-3.
11. Renjit Bino Kingsley, Manisha Mishra, Pemaiah Brindha, Appian Subramoniam. Anti-diabetic activity of active fractions of Stereospermum tetragonum DC and isolation of active principles J Young Pharm 2013;3:7-12.
12. Ajikumaran NS, Shylesh BS, Gopakumar B, Subramoniam A. Anti-diabetes and hypoglycemic properties of Hemionitis arifolia in rats. J Ethnopharmacol 2006;106:192-7.
13. Trinder P. Determination of blood glucose using an oxidase-peroxidase system with a non-carcinogenic chromogen. J Clin Pathol 1969;22:158-61.
14. Ghosh R, Sharatchandra KH, Rita S, Thokchom IS. Hypoglycemic activity of Ficus hispida stem (bark) in normal and diabetic albino rats. Indian J Pharmacol 2004;36:222-5.
15. Elizabeth ED, Stephen EH, Theodoros TS, Allen V, Toolsie R, Volchuk HT, et al. Stimulation of glucose uptake by the natural coenzyme Î±-Lipoic Acid/Thioctic acid: participation of elements of the insulin signaling pathway. Diabetes 1996;45:1798-804.
16. Chattopadhyay RR, Sarkar SK, Ganguly S, Banerjee RN, Basu TK. Effect of leaves of Vinca rosea Linn. on glucose utilization and glycogen deposition by isolated rat hemidiaphragm. Indian J Physiol Pharmacol 1992;36:137-8.
17. Kellett GL, Jamal A, Robertson JP, Wollen N. The acute regulation of glucose absorption, transport and metabolism in rat small intestine by insulin in vivo. Biochem J 1984;3:1027â€“35.