GREEN SYNTHESIS OF SILVER NANORODS USING AQUEOUS EXTRACT OF KALANCHOE PINNATA FRESH LEAVES AND ITS SYNERGISTIC EFFECT WITH CIPROFLOXACIN AND ANTIBIOFILM ACTIVITIES
Objective: The present study was aimed to investigate antibacterial and antibiofilm activities of AgNPs alone and its combination with ciprofloxacin against various human pathogenic bacteria strains.
Methods: Reproducible, energy efficient, eco-friendly green synthesis of silver nanoparticles (AgNPs) using aqueous extract of Kalanchoe pinnata fresh leaves based on photoirradiation was carried out. These photosynthesized AgNPs were characterized by infrared spectroscopy, scanning electron microscopy with energy dispersive X-ray spectroscopy, transmission electron microscopy, zeta potential, differential scanning calorimetry, differential thermal analysis and particle size analysis.
Results: From the results, AgNPs showed the desired physicochemical properties in terms of optical, structural, thermal and photocatalytic properties. Also, it is observed that Gram-negative bacteria strains are more vulnerable to both AgNPs as well as conjugating ciprofloxacin with AgNPs rather than Gram-positive bacteria strains.
Conclusion: Enhanced antibacterial effect was observed in the conjugation of ciprofloxacin with AgNPs rather than antibiotic or AgNPs alone. AgNPs showed an excellent inhibitory effect in the formation of biofilm.
2. Olson ME, Ceri H, Morck DW, Buret AG, Read RR. Biofilm bacteria: formation and comparative susceptibility to antibiotics. Can J Vet Res 2002;66:86-92.
3. Sathyanarayanan MB1, Balachandranath R, Genji Srinivasulu Y, Kannaiyan SK, Subbiahdoss G. The effect of gold and iron-oxide nanoparticles on biofilm-forming pathogens. ISRN Microbiol 2013:272086. doi: 10.1155/2013/272086. [Article in Press]
4. Drancourt M, Stein A, Argenson JN, Roiron R, Groulier P, Raoult D. Oral treatment of Staphylococcus spp. infected orthopedic implants with fusidic acid or ofloxacin in combination with rifampicin. J Antimicrob Chemother 1997;39:235-40.
5. Habash MB, Park AJ, Vis EC, Harris. The synergy of silver nanoparticles and aztreonam against Pseudomonas aeruginosa PAO1 biofilms. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2014;58:5818-30.
6. Gurunathan S, Han JW, Kwon DN, Kim JH. Enhanced antibacterial and antibiofilm activities of silver nanoparticles against gram-negative and gram-positive bacteria. Nanoscale Res Lett 2014;9:373.
7. Padalia H, Moteriya P, Chanda S. Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles from marigold flower and its synergistic antimicrobial potential. Arabian J Chem 2014;8:732-41.
8. Ullah N, Li D, et al. Photoâ€“irradiation based biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles by using an evergreen shrub and its antibacterial study. Digest J Nanomater Biostructures 2015;10:95-105.
9. Phatak RS, Hendre AS. Sunlight-induced green synthesis of silver nanoparticles using sun-dried leaves extract of Kalanchoe pinnata and evaluation of its photocatalytic potential. Pharm Lett 2015;7:313-24.
10. Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute. Wayne, PA, 1995: 15th informational supplement. Document M100-S15; 2000.
11. Palanisamy NK, Ferina N, Amirulhusni AN, Mohd-Zain Z, Hussaini J, Ping LJ, et al. Antibiofilm properties of chemically synthesized silver nanoparticles found against Pseudomonas aeruginosa. J Nanobiotechnol 2014;12:2.
12. Durgawale PP, Phatak RS, Hendre AS. Biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles using latex of Syandenium grantii hook f and its assessment of antibacterial activities. Dig J Nanomater Biostructures 2015;10:846-53.
13. Balaji RR, Singh P. Synergistic effect of silver nanoparticles with the cephalexin antibiotic against the test strains. Bioresearch Bull 2013;2:4.
14. Naheed Ahmad, Seema Sharma, Singh VN, Shamsi SF, Fatma A, Mehta BR. Biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles from Desmodium triflorum: A novel approach towards weed utilization. Biotechnol Res Int 2011. http://dx.doi.org/ 10.4061/2011/454090. [Article in Press]
15. Drlica K, Zhao X. DNA gyrase, topoisomerase IV, and the 4-quinolones. Microbiol Mol Biol Rev 1997;61:377-92.
16. Zaat SAJ, Broekhuizen CAN, Riool M. Host tissue as a niche for biomaterial-associated infection. Future Microbiol 2010;5:1149-51.
17. Ansari MA, Khan HM, Khan AA. Antibiofilm efficacy of silver nanoparticles against biofilm of extended spectrum b-lactamase isolates of Escherichia coli and Klebsiella pneumoniae. Appl Nanosci 2013;4:859-68.
18. Gudikandula K, Sriyamjalla SK, V Pranitha, Alha M, Charaya S. Biogenic synthesis of silver nanoparticles and their synergistic effect with antibiotics: a study against Salmonella sp. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:84-8.