SYNTHESIS AND EVALUATION OF OLMESARTAN MEDOXOMIL COMPLEX WITH SBE7 Î²-CD FOR ENHANCED DISSOLUTION AND BIOAVAILABILITY
Objective: Olmesartan is a BCS class II anti-hypertensive drug with limitations of low aqueous solubility and bioavailability. ÂÂPresent work was designed to use complexation as an approach to explore the ability of modified cyclodextrin such as sulphobutyl ether7 Î²-cyclodextrin (SBE7Î²-CD) to develop an inclusion complex with poorly soluble olmesartan medoxomil (OLM) for improving its dissolution rate and relative bioavailability.
Methods: Inclusion complexes were prepared by different techniques of physical mixing, kneading and lyophilisation. Prepared complexes were characterized by differential scanning calorimetry (DSC), powder x-ray diffractometry (X-RPD), proton nuclear magnetic spectroscopy (1H NMR) and fourier transforms infrared spectroscopy (FT-IR). Molecular interaction and encapsulation in an inclusion complex at the molecular level were considered using docking chemistry.
Results: Phase solubility analysis revealed 13 fold increase in aqueous solubility with stability constant Ks=249 Mâˆ’1at 1:1 stoichiometry of complexation. DSC and XPRD confirmed the reduction of crystallinity in complexes with improved solubility. 1H NMR and FT-IR studies depicted the interaction among functional groups with varied hydrogen shifts confirmed by molecular modelling. Dissolution studies of complexes have shown an improved dissolution rate when compared to plain OLM. Pharmacokinetic profile of OLM/SBE7Î²-CD has shown a significant enhancement in the relative bioavailability.
Conclusion: SBE7Î²-CD may be successfully used as a carrier for the oral administration of OLM with enhanced bioavailability subjected to future scale up.
2. H Koike, T Konse, T Sada, T Ikeda, A Hyogo, D Hinman, et al. Olmesartan medoxomil, a potent novel angiotensin II blocker. Annu Rep Sankyo Res Lab 2003;55:1-91.
3. M Fukuda, DA Miller, NA Peppas, JW McGinity. Influence of sulfobutyl ether beta-cyclodextrin (Captisol) on the dissolution properties of a poorly soluble drug from extrudates prepared by hot-melt extrusion. Int J Pharm 2008;350:188-96.
4. GL Amidon, H LennernÃ¤s, VP Shah, JR Crison. A theoretical basis for a biopharmaceutic drug classification: the correlation of in vitro drug product dissolution and in vivo bioavailability. Pharm Res 1995;12:413-20.
5. O Sagirli, A Ã–nal, S Toker, D Åžensoy. Simultaneous HPLC analysis of olmesartan and hydrochlorothiazide in combined tablets and in vitro dissolution studies. Chromatographic 2007;66:213-8.
6. BS Lee, MJ Kang, WS Choi, YB Choi, HS Kim, SK Lee, et al. Solubilized formulation of olmesartan medoxomil for enhancing oral bioavailability. Arch Pharmacal Res 2009;32:1629-35.
7. B Chen, D Lu, Y Fu, J Zhang, X Huang, S Cao, D Xu, et al. Olmesartan prevents cardiac rupture in mice with myocardial infarction by modulating growth differentiation factor 15 and p53. Br J Pharmacol 2014;171:3741-53.
8. N Fukuda, N Kobayashi, A Nagase, R Suzuki, T Ueno. Olmesartan improves the formation of impaired epcs and renal degeneration through activation of the ACE2/Ang-(1â€“7)/Mas receptor axis in shs. J Hypertens 2014;3:1-6.
9. T Miyoshi, A Hirohata, S Usui, K Yamamoto, T Murakami, I Komatsubara, et al. Olmesartan reduces inflammatory biomarkers in patients with stable coronary artery disease undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention: results from the OLIVUS trial. Heart Vessels 2014;29:178-85.
10. ME Brewster, T Loftsson. Cyclodextrins as pharmaceutical solubilizers. Adv Drug Delivery Rev 2007;59:645-66.
11. SF Lockwood, S O'Malley, GL Mosher. Improved aqueous solubility of crystalline astaxanthin (3,3'-dihydroxy-beta, beta-carotene-4,4'-dione) by Captisol (sulfobutyl ether beta-cyclodextrin). J Pharm Sci 2003;92:922-6.
12. Y Nagase, M Hirata, H Arima, S Tajiri, Y Nishimoto, F Hirayama, et al. Protective effect of sulfobutyl ether beta-cyclodextrin on DY-9760e-induced hemolysis in vitro. J Pharm Sci 2002;91:2382-9.
13. AM Totterman, NG Schipper, DO Thompson, JP Mannermaa. Intestinal safety of water-soluble beta-cyclodextrins in paediatric oral solutions of spironolactone: effects on human intestinal epithelial Caco-2 cells. J Pharm Pharmacol 1997;49:43-8.
14. AS Jain, AA Date, RR Pissurlenkar, EC Coutinho, MS Nagarsenker. Sulfobutyl ether7 Î²-Cyclodextrin (SBE7 Î²-CD) carbamazepine complex: preparation, characterization, molecular modeling, and evaluation of in vivo anti-epileptic activity. AAPS Pharm Sci Tech 2011;12:1163-75.
15. H Yano, P Kleinebudde. Improvement of dissolution behavior for the poorly water-soluble drug by application of cyclodextrin in extrusion process: comparison between melt extrusion and wet extrusion. AAPS PharmSciTech 2010;11:885-93.
16. C dos Santos, P Buera, MF Mazzobre. Procedia phase solubility studies of terpineol with Î²-cyclodextrins and stability of the freeze-dried inclusion complex. Food Sci 2011;1:355-62.
17. Y Dotsikas, YL Loukas. Inclusion complex study between 6-p-toluidinylnaphthalene-2-sulfonate and 2-hydroxypropyl-beta-cyclodextrin. J Biochem Biophys Methods 2002;52:121-34.
18. A Gil, A Chamayou, E Leverd, J Bougaret, M Baron, G Couarraze, et al. Evolution of the interaction of a new chemical entity, eflucimibe, with Î³-cyclodextrin during the kneading process. Eur J Pharm Sci 2004;23:123-9.
19. Y Lu, T Zhang, J Tao, G Ji S Wang. Preparation, characterization, and pharmacokinetics of the inclusion complex of genipin-beta-cyclodextrin. Drug Dev Ind Pharm 2009;35:1452-9.
20. CA Ventura, I Giannone, D Paolino, V PistarÃ , A Corsaro, G Puglisi, et al. Preparation of celecoxib-dimethyl-Î²-cyclodextrin inclusion complex: characterization and in vitro permeation study. Eur J Med Chem 2005;40:624-31.
21. A Bernini, O Spiga, A Ciutti, M Scarselli, G Bottoni, P Mascagni, et al. NMR studies of the inclusion complex between Î²-cyclodextrin and paroxetine. Eur J Pharm Sci 2004;22:445-50.
22. IMF Cavalcanti, EAM MendonÃ§a, MCB Lira, SB Honrato, CA Camara, RVS Amorim, et al. The encapsulation of Î²-lapachone in 2-hydroxypropyl-Î²-cyclodextrin inclusion complex into liposomes: a physicochemical evaluation and molecular modeling approach. Eur J Pharm Sci 2011;44:332-40.
23. KA Khan, CT Rhodes. Effect of compaction pressure on the dissolution efficiency of some direct compression systems. Pharm Acta Helv 1972;47:594-607.
24. CH Srikanth, T Chaira, S Sampathi, SVB, RB Bambal. Correlation of in vitro and in vivo plasma protein binding using ultra centrifugation and UPLC-tandem mass spectrometry. Analyst 2013;138:6106-16.
25. S Rawat, SK Jain. Solubility enhancement of celecoxib using Î²-cyclodextrin inclusion complexes. Eur J Pharm Biopharm 2004;57:263-7.
26. LS Ribeiro, DC Ferreira, FJ Veiga. Physicochemical investigation of the effects of water-soluble polymers on vinpocetine complexation with beta-cyclodextrin and its sulfobutyl ether derivative in solution and solid state. Eur J Pharm Biopharm 2003;20:253-66.
27. A Figueiras, RA Carvalho, L Ribeiro, JJ Torres-Labandeira, FJ Veiga. Solid-state characterization and dissolution profiles of the inclusion complexes of omeprazole with native and chemically modified beta-cyclodextrin. Eur J Pharm Biopharm 2007;67:531-9.
28. N Kobayashi, I Fujimori, M Watanabe, T Ikeda. Real-time monitoring of metabolic reactions by microdialysis in combination with tandem mass spectrometry: hydrolysis of CS-866 in vitro in human and rat plasma, livers, and small intestines. Anal Biochem 2000;287:272-8.
29. B Yang, J Lin, Y Chen, Y Liu. Artemether/hydroxypropyl-beta-cyclodextrin host-guest system: characterization, phase-solubility and inclusion mode. Bioorg Med Chem 2009;17:6311-7.
30. T Loftsson, D HeinsdÃ³ttir, M Masson. Evaluation of cyclodextrin solubilization of drugs. Int J Pharm 2005;302:18-28.
31. F Cao, J Guo, Q Ping. Carvedilol solubility enhancement by inclusion complexation and solid dispersion. Drug Dev Ind Pharm 2005;31:747-75.
32. J Liu, L Qiu, J Gao, Y Jin. Preparation, characterization and in vivo evaluation of formulation of baicalein with hydroxypropyl-Î²-cyclodextrin. Int J Pharm 2006;312:137-43.