ADSORPTION OF ERLOTINIB TO MULTIWALLED CARBON NANOTUBES
Objective: The objective of this research was to assess for the first time the adsorption of erlotinib (ERL) in three types of multi walled carbon nanotubes, as feasible alternative method to removal antineoplastic from wastewater.
Methods: Both multi walled carbon nanotubes without modification (pristine-CNT) and modified carbon nanotubes by oxidation (CNT-COOH) and amination (CNT-NH2) were used as adsorbents. They were characterized by Transmission electron microscopy, Raman spectroscopy, FT-IR spectroscopy, and Thermogravimetric analysis. In addition, the stability of CNTs suspensions were monitored. The ERL residual concentration in the equilibrium, from the bath adsorption, experiments was quantified by HPLC. The experiment data were fitted to Langmuir and Freundlich models.
Results: The characterization showed that the surface of pristine-CNT was modified. Different sedimentation behavior was observed in the three types of CNTs. ERL adsorption followed the Langmuir model for CNT-NH2, Freundlich model for CNT-COOH and did not fit any models for pristine-CNT. Adsorption parameters were favoured with the functionalization of CNTs, which can be explained by properties of ERL and surface chemistry of CNTs.
Conclusion: It was found that CNTs have a high capacity of adsorption of ERL, indicating the potential of CNTs to removal this antineoplastic drug from hospital wastewater.
2. Zhang J, Chang VW, Giannis A, Wang J. Removal of cytostatic drugs from the aquatic environment: a review. Sci Total Environ 2013;445:281-98.
3. Besse JP, Latour JF, Garric J. Anticancer drugs in surface waters: what can we say about the occurrence and environmental significance of cytotoxic, cytostatic and endocrine therapy drugs? Environ Int 2012;39:73-86.
4. Ravikumar M, Jeyanthi RL, Xavier S, Ananthi RL. Toxicological study on the EGFR protein inhibitor (iressa 1) using topkat. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2012;3:4769-72.
5. Negreira N, Regueiro J, de Alda ML, BarcelÃ³ D. Degradation of the anticancer drug erlotinib during water chlorination: a Non-targeted approach for the identiï¬cation of transformation products. Water Res 2015;85:103-13.
6. Sun H, She P, Lu G, Xu K, Zhang W, Liu Z. Recent advances in the development of functionalized carbon nanotubes: a versatile vector for drug delivery. J Mater Res 2014;49:6845-54.
7. Mody N, Tekade RK, Mehra NK, Chopdey P, Jain NK. Dendrimer, Liposomes, carbon nanotubes and PLGA nanoparticles: one platform assessment of drug delivery potential. AAPS PharmSciTech 2014;15:388-99.
8. Baviskar DT, Tamkhane CM, Maniyar AH, Jain DK. Carbon nanotubes: An emerging drug delivery tool in nanotechnology. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2012;4:11-5.
9. Iijima S. Helical microtubules of graphitic carbon. Nature 191;354:56-8.
10. Wepasnick KA, Smith BA, Schrote KE, Wilson HK, Diegel mann SR, Fair brother DH. Surface and structural characterization of multi-walled carbon nanotubes following different oxidative treatments. Carbon 2011;49:24-36.
11. Hermanson GT. Bioconjugate techniques. 2nd ed. San Diego: Academic Press; 2008.
12. Hu H, Bhowmik P, Zhao B, Hamon MA, Itkis ME, Haddon RC. Determination of the acidic sites of purified single-walled carbon nanotubes by acidâ€“base titration. Chem Phys Lett 2001;345:25-8.
13. Apul OG, Karanfil T. Adsorption of synthetic organic contaminants by carbon nanotubes: a critical review. Water Res 2015;68:34-55.
14. Osswald S, Flahaut E, Ye H, Gogotsi Y. Elimination of D-band in Raman spectra of double-wall carbon nanotubes by oxidation. Chem Phys Lett 2005;402:422â€“7.
15. VukoviÄ‡ GD, MarinkoviÄ‡ AD, ÄŒoliÄ‡ M, RistiÄ‡ MÄ, AleksiÄ‡ R, PeriÄ‡-GrujiÄ‡ AA, UskokoviÄ‡ PS. Removal of cadmium from aqueous solutions by oxidized and ethylenediamine-functionalized multi-walled carbon nanotubes. Chem Eng J 2010;157:238-48.
16. Dada AO, Olalekan AP, Olatunya AM, Dada O. Langmuir, Freundlich, Temkin and Dubininâ€“Radushkevich isotherms studies of equilibrium sorption of Zn2+unto phosphoric acid modified rice husk. J Appl Chem 2012;3:38-45.
17. Xiao DL, Li H, He H, Lin R, Zuo PL. Adsorption performance of carboxylated multi-wall carbon nanotubeâ€“Fe3O4 magnetic hybrids for Cu(II) in water. New Carbon Mater 2014;29:15-25.
18. Chen W, Duan L, Wang L, Zhu D. Adsorption of hydroxyl and amino-substituted aromatics to carbon nanotubes. Environ Sci Technol 2008;42:6862-8.