FORMULATION AND EVALUATION OF DISPERSED PERMETHRIN PRONIOSOMES IN POWDER AND MICROEMULSION-BASED HYDROGEL BASES FOR THE TREATMENT OF SCABIES
Objective: This study is aimed to encapsulation of permethrin in proniosomes and formulation and evaluation of dispersed permethrin in powder and micro emulsion-based hydrogel bases.
Methods: Permethrin proniosomes were prepared by modified slurry method using Brij 97, cholesterol, aerosil 200 and drug in different weight ratios, and using two different solvents. The prepared proniosomes were characterized for particle size, shape, flow characteristics, entrapment efficiency.
Results: The studies demonstrated successful preparation of permethrin proniosomes. The effect of using different weight ratios of Drug: Brij 97: Cholesterol and different solvents on entrapment efficiency were studied. The best proniosomes showed entrapment efficiency percent of 55.58%Â±1.451 for permethrin and zero residual solvents. Such formula was incorporated in a topical powder and micro emulsion-based hydrogel basis and evaluated through particle size, drug content, stability, and clinical trials for efficacy on sarcoptic mite infestation in sheep and rabbits.
Conclusion: Permethrin 5 % micro emulsion-based hydrogel proved to be homogenous, stable, and clinically effective, compared with the topical powder that was unstable under accelerated stability conditions.
2. Simon Benita. Microencapsulation methods and industrial applications. Marcel Dekker, Inc. New York. Basel. Hong Kong; 1996. p. 588-91.
3. Ajay Solankia, Jolly Parikha, Rajesh Parikhb. Preparation, Characterization, Optimization, and Stability Studies of Aceclofenac Proniosomes. Int J Pharmacol Res 2008;7:237-46.
4. Bairwa NK, Choudhary Deepika. Proniosome: a review. Asian J Biochem Pharm Res 2011;1:690-4.
5. Gomes Hazel, Dubey Akhilesh, Prabhu Prabhakara, Kamath Jagadish V. Development and evaluation of norfloxacin loaded maltodextrin based proniosomes. Int Res J Pharm 2012;3:176-9.
6. Swati Mittal, Ashu Mittal, Kiran Sharma, Sanjar Alam. Proniosomes as a drug carrier for transdermal delivery of candesartan cilexetil. Int J Nano Stud Technol 2013;2:1-7.
7. Intakhab Alam, Sanjula Baboota, Kanchan Kohli, Alka Ahuja, Javed Ali. Development and evaluation of low dose proniosomal gel for delivery of celecoxib. Farm Vestn 2008;59:292-3.
8. Fang JY, Yu SY, Wu PC, Huang YB, Tsai YH. In vitro skin permeation of estradiol from various proniosome formulations. Int J Pharm 2001;215:91-9.
9. Vora B, Khopade AJ, Jain NK. Proniosome based transdermal delivery of levonorgestrel for effective Contraception. J Controlled Release 1998;54:149-65.
10. Mishra S, Vasistha P, Sachdeva M, Sara UVS. Formulation, optimization and characterization of proniosomal gel for transdermal delivery of naproxen. World J Pharm Pharm Sci 2013;2:554-69.
11. Alsarra IA. Evaluation of proniosomes as an alternative strategy to optimize piroxicam transdermal delivery. J Microencapsulation 2009;3:272-8.
12. Kumar Sumit. Proniosomal gel: a surrogated carrier for improved transdermal drug delivery system. Int J Pharm Front Res 2012;2:54-65.
13. El-Laithy HM, Shoukry O, Mahran LG. Novel sugar esters proniosomes for transdermal delivery of vinpocetine: preclinical and clinical studies. Eur J Pharm Biopharm 2011;77:43-55.
14. Abd-Elbary A, El-laithy HM, Tadros MI. Sucrose stearate-based proniosome-derived niosomes for the nebulisable delivery of cromolyn sodium. Int J Pharm 2008;5:189-98.
15. Sankar V, Praveen C, Prasanth KG, Srinivas CR, Ruckmann K. Formulation and evaluation of a proniosome hydrocortisone gel in comparison with a commercial cream. Pharmazie 2009;64:731-4.
16. The department of health of Great Britain, and Northern Ireland. British Pharmacopoeia 2010. Â© Crown Copyright; 2009.
17. Joshi Baibhav, Shingh Gurpreet, Rana AC, Siani Seema, Singla Vikas. Emulegl: a comprehensive review on the recent advances in topical drug delivery. Int Res J Pharm 2011;2:66-70.
18. Kalpish Chhotalal Ashala, Jalpa S Paun, Moinuddin M Soniwala, Jayant R Chavada, Nitin Merubhai Mori. Microemulsion based emulgel: a novel drug delivery systemâ€. Asian Pac J Trop Dis 2014;4 Suppl 1:S27:S32.
19. Larry G Arlian. Biology, host relations, and epidemiology of sarcoptes scabeie. Ann Rev Entomol 1989;34:139-61.
20. Seanc Sweetman. Martindale. The complete drug reference. 31sted. Pharmaceutical press; 1996. p. 1439.
21. Stenersen, JÃ¸rgen. Chemical pesticides: mode of action and toxicology. CRC Press; 2004. p. 104-68.
22. Ali Niazi, Mohammad Goodarzi, Ateesa Yazdanipour. A comparative study between least-squares supports vector machines and partial least squares in the simultaneous spectrophotometric determination of cypermethrin, permethrin and tetramethrin. J Braz Chem Soc 2008;19:536-42.
23. United states Pharmacopoeia 32; 2009.
24. Patrick J Sinko. Martinâ€™s physical pharmacy and pharmaceutical sciences. 5th ed. Lippincott Williams and wilkins; 2006. p. 561-9.
25. B Paul, D Dermaderosian, F Linda. Remington: the science and practice of pharmacy. 21st ed. Lippincott William; 2005. p. 939-64, 766.
26. Bassem A Fayed, Mohamed K EL-Bayoumy, Mohamed A El-Nabarawi, Randa Tag A El Rehem. Clinical trials of new permethrin preparation efficacy on sarcoptic mite infestation in sheep and rabbits. Global J Pharmacol 2014;8:578-83.
27. Prabagar Balakrishnana, Srinivasan Shanmugama, Won Seok Leea, Won Mo Leea, Jong Oh Kima, Dong Hoon Oha, et al. Formulation and in vitro assessment of minoxidil niosomes for enhanced skin delivery. Int J Pharm 2009;377:1â€“8.
28. Anindita De, Amandeep Kaur Gill. The proniosomal gel of tretinoin for the treatment of acne vulgaris. J Anim Plant Sci 2013;3:81-6.
29. Thermo Fisher Scientific-Cyclohexane. Material safety data sheet; 2009.
30. Hawley GG. Material safety data sheet-Acetone-issued by: The Sigma-Aldrich Library of Chemical Safety Data, -The Condensed Chemical Dictionary: Van Nostrand Reinold; 1987.
31. Kirby C, Clarke J, Gregoriadis G. Effect of the cholesterol content of small unilamellar liposomes on their stability in vivo and in vitro. Biochem J 1980;186:591â€“8.
32. Samita Singla, SL Harikumar, Geeta Aggarwal. Proniosomes for effective topical delivery of clotrimazole: development, characterization, and performance evaluation. Asian J Pharm Sci 2012;7:259-70.
33. GV Radha, CH Veerendranath Chowdary. Formulation and evaluation of ornidazole proniosomal gel. Indo Am J Pharm Res 2014;4:2657-64.
34. Sandeep G, Raju J, Subba Rao D, Vamshi Krishna M. Proniosomal sunscreen gel based formulationâ€“A promising approach for improving the quality of life (QOL). Anaplastology 2012;3:38.
35. Nalini S Kurup, Priyanka R Joshi. Formulation and evaluation of herbal microemulsion for controlling hair loss. Int J Res Pharm Sci 2013;4:420-6.
36. Stefan Dima, Maria Popescu. Topical delivery of diclofenac using microemulsion systems. Roum Biotechnol Lett 2008;13:6 Suppl 49-55.
37. Plurol isotearique material safety data sheet according to 1907/2006/EC, 31, GattefossÃ©; 1907.
38. Eskandar Moghimipour, Anayatollah Salimi, Masoud Karami, Sara Isazadeh. Preparation and characterization of dexamethasone microemulsion based on the pseudoternary phase diagram. Jundishapur J Nat Pharm Prod 2013;8:105-12.
39. Eskandar Moghimipour, Anayatollah Salimi, Fatemeh Leis. Preparation and evaluation of tretinoin microemulsion based on the pseudo-ternary phase diagram. Adv Pharm Bull 2012;2:141-7.