ASSESSMENT OF WATER QUALITY OF THATIPUDI RESERVOIR OF VIZIANAGARAM DISTRICT OF ANDHRA PRADESH
The authors present work deals with the assessment of the water quality of the water samples collected from Thatipudi reservoir situated in Vizianagaram district of Andhra Pradesh, by analyzing some selected physico-chemical parameters and chosen heavy metals. Water quality parameters such as pH, EC, DO, COD, BOD, TDS, total hardness, calcium, magnesium, sodium, potassium, iron, chloride, nitrite, phosphate, carbonate, bicarbonate and heavy metals such as zinc, manganese, lead and chromium were analyzed for the water samples collected from the reservoir. The results were compared with the standard values prescribed by IS 10500. The parameters such as SAR, RSC, and Mg hazardous were analyzed and it was found that all these values were within the prescribed limit value. Saturation index values of the water samples analyzed were found to be in the range of 0.3-0.84 indicating, Water is supersaturated with respect to calcium carbonate (CaCO3) and scale forming may occur, but non corrosive.
. Â KEYWORDS:
Dams, Thatipudi reservoir water quality, physico-chemical characters
CIM Bulletin 95 (1060): 96â€“102.
2. Filipek, L.H., Hatton, C., Gusek, J. and T. Tsukamoto, 2003. Passive treatment of acid rock drainage (ARD): state of the practice. In: Proceedings of the Tenth International Conference on Tailings and Mine Waste, October, 2003, Colorado, USA, pp. 293â€“303.
3. Modis, K., Adam, K., Panagopoulos, K. and A. Komtopoulos, 1998. Development and Validation of a geostatistical model for prediction of acid mine drainage in underground sulphide mines. J. Trans. Instn. Min. Metall. (Sect A: Min. Industry), A102â€“A107.
4. Fiset, J.F., Zinck, J.M. and P.C. Nkinamubanzi, 2003. Chemical stabilization of metal hydroxide sludge. In: Proceedings of the X International Conference on Tailings and Mine Waste, October 2003, Vail, CO, USA, AA Balkema, pp. 329â€“332.
5. Biswas A K and Tortajada C, Development of large dams: A global perceptive, Inernat J Water Resources Devel, 17, 2001, pp 9-21.
6. Ganesan M, jayabalan N and Jegatheesan K, Environmental status and Seasonal variation in the water quality studies of Pilavakka reservoir at Western Ghats in India, J Plant Archieves, 4, 2004, pp195-201.
7. Hatim E and Ozlem G, Influences of waste water discharges on the water quality of Mamasm dam watershed in Aksaray, Central Anatolian part of Turkey, J.Environ Geology, 48, 2005, pp 829-834.
8. Singh A K, Mondal G C, Singh P K, Singh S, Singh T B and Tewary B K, Hydrochemistry of reservoirs of Damodar river basin, India: weathering process and water quality assessment, J. Environ Geology, 48, 2005, pp 1014-1028.
12. Lenore S C, Arnold E G and Trussel R R, Standard methods for the Examination of Water and Waste water, 17th Edn (American Public Health Association, USA) 1989, 2.35-4.133
13. Manivasakam N, Physicochemical Examination of Water, Sewage and Industrial effluents, 4th Edn (Pragathi Prakashan, Meerut) 2002, pp 232-234.