SYNTHESIS, CHARACTERIZATION AND BIOLOGICAL STUDIES OF M(II) COMPLEXES WITH2,3- BUTANEDIONE-3-MONOXIME
Keywords:Antifungal and antibacterial agents, Bidentate ligands
Objective: Various Schiff bases and their metal complexes have wide applications in various fields such as pharmaceuticals, analytical, clinical, biological etc due to theirbiological activity such as antibacterial, antifungal, anticancer, antidiuretic, antioxidant etc.
Materials and Methods: Reaction between 2,3-Butanedione-3-monoxime, 3/4-hydroxyphenyl and some hydrated metal salts of MnII gives complexes of the type [MnL22(H2O)].The ligands and the complexes were characterized by elemental analysis, magnetic susceptibility measurements and spectral (I.R., U.V.-Vis., N.M.R.) analysis.Anti-bacterial and anti-fungal activity of the schiff base ligands and their metal complexes have been studied using the agar well diffusion method and ditch diffusion method.
Results:Spectroscopic study showsbidentate ligands and coordination occurs through oxime oxygen after deprotonation and nitrogen of azomethine group.Ligands and metal complexes shows activity against S. aureus (gm positive), P. aeruginosa (gm negative), Aspergillusniger and Candidaalbicans.
Conclusion: The spectral and magnetic study suggests octahedral geometry for metal complexes.Metal complexesacts asmost promising antifungal and antibacterial against Staphylococcus aureus and Pseudomonas aeruginosa as compared to Schiff bases.
2. Shrivastava HY, Devaraj SN, Nain BU. A schiff base complex of chromium(III) : an efficient inhibitor for pathogenic and invasive potential of shingella dysenteriar . J.Inorg Biochem, 2004;98(2);387-392.
3. El-TabiAS, AlyF A, Moh. ME Shkdofa, Adel ME Shakdofa.Synthesis, characterization and biological activity of metal complexes of azohydrazone ligand. J.. of Coord. Chem.2010;63(4);700-712.
4. DevaniMB, ShishooCJ, PathakUS, ParikhSH, ShahGF, PandyaAC. Synthesis of 3-substituted thieno[2,3-d]pyrimidin-4(3H)-one-2-mercaptoacetic acids and their ethyl esters for pharmacological screening; J. of Pharm.sci., 1976;65(5).
5. ChambhareRV, BobadeAS,KhadseBG, Synthesis of novel 3-N-[(substituted aryl/ heteroaryl)–methylene]-imino-2-methyl-5-thienyl-thieno[2,3-d]pyrimidin-4-3H–ones as possible antimicrobial agents. Indian J. of Heteroc chem; 2002;12(1);67-68.
6. MannaP, Rameswar Singh, NarangK, MannaSK.Synthesis antifungal, antitumor and antiinflammatory activities of some new 5-substitutedarylimino-2-N-p-tolylsulphonyl-3-oxo-1,2,4-thiadiazolidine; Ind J Hetero chem.,2004; 13(3);249-252.
7. DeviJ, YadavM, KumarA.Synthesis , characterization, biological activity and QSAR studies of transition metal complexes derived from pieronylamine Schiff base. chem. Pap.72, 2018;2479-2502.
8. GullP, HashmiAA. Biological activity studies on metal complexes of macrocyclic Schiff base ligand: synthesis and spectroscopic characterization. JBraz. chem. Soc, 2015;https://doi.org/10.5935?0103-5053.20150099.
9. Reddy, MohanPR, Raju SK, EttaiahRM, Pappula. Zinc complexes for hydrolytic cleavage of DNA.; Indi J of chem. Sec-A, 45, 2006;2381-2391.
10.  Biyala, M.K. Fahmi, N. Singh. Antifertility and antimicrobial activities of palladium and platinum complexes of 6 nitro 3-(indolin-2-one) hydrazine carbothioamide and 6-nitro-3-(indolin-2-one) hydrazinecarboxamide. Indi. J of chem.sec-A; 2006;45A(09);1999-2004.
11. Gaber M., Abu.El-Reash, Kamal M. Ibrahim, BekheitMM. Ligational behaviour of biacetylmonoxime nicotinoyl hydrazine e(H2BMNH)towards transition metal ions. Tran. Mett. Chem. 1990;15;148-151.
12. SmekalZ, BrezinaF, NadvornikM. Binuclear iron(III)complexes with the tetradentate Schiff base N,N’-bis(salicylidene) ethylenediamine and dicarboxylic acids or dithiooxamide as bridging ligands. Tran. Mett. Chem. ;1996;21;49-51.
13. ManiksheteAH, KambleVN, Sarsamkar SK, DoedwareS. Synthesis, spectral and biological studies of Cr(III), Mn(II) and Fe(II) complexes with diacetylmonoxime. Orint. J. of chem.2010;26;573-575.
14. Emad Yousif, AbdullahB. Metal complexes of Schiff base: preparation, characterization and antibacterial activity. Arabian J. of Chem; 2017;10(2);S1639-S1644.
15. Raman N, Dhaveethu RajaJ, SakthivelA. Synthesis, spectral characterization of Schiff base transition metal complexes: DNA cleavage and antimicrobial activity studies. J. of chem. Sci. 2007;119(4);303-310.
16. Kamal M. Ibrahim, Ahmed A.El-Asmy, MostafaMM.Ligational behaviour of biacetylmonoxime-o-aminobenzoylhydrazone(H2BMAB) towards some di positive metal ions. Tran. Mett. Chem, 1985;10;175-178.
17. SonmezM. Erciyes universitesi Fen Bilimleri Enstitusu Dergisi, Binuclear Cu(II) complexes of ono tridentate heterocyclic schiff base derived from N-aminopyrimidine with substitutes salicylaldehyde or 2-hydroxynaphthaldehyde, 2008;24(1-2);308-314.
18. NassarAM, HassanAM, El kmashAN.Synthesis characterization and anticorrosion studies of new homobimetallic Co(II), Ni(II), Cu(II), and Zn(II) Schiff base complexes. J. of Bio- and Tribo Corrosion, 2015;19.
19. SawantVA, GotpagarSN, YamgarBA, SawantSK, KankariyaRD, ChavanSS. Characterization and electrochemical studies of Mn(II), Co(II), Ni(II) and Cu(II) complexes with 2-mercapto-3-substituted-quinazolin-4-one and 1,10-phenanthroline or ethylenediamine as ligands. Spectrochimica Acta part A:Molecular & Biomolecular Spectroscopy,2009; 72(3);663-669.
20. J.D.Lee, Concise Inorganic Chemistry, 5th edition, London, (669671), 1996.
21. BagihalliGB, AvajiPG, BadamiPS, PatilSA. Synthesis spectral characterization, electrochemical and biological studies of Co(II), Ni(II) and Cu(II) complexes with thiocarbohydrazone. J. of co-ord. Chem.2008;61(),17;2793-2806.
22. MangamambaT, GanorkarMC, Swarnabala G.Characterization of complexes synthesizes using Schiff base ligands and their screening for toxicity two fungal and one bacterial species on rice pathogens. Intern. J. of Inor. chem.: https://doi.org?10.1155/2014/736538.
23. ZayedEM, MohamedGG, HindyAM, Transition metal complexes of novel Schiff base,: synthesis spectroscopic characterization in vitro antimicrobial activity of complexes. J of Thermal Ana. and colorimetry, 2015; 120;893-903.
24. MohamedGG, OmarMM, HindyAMM. Synthesis, characterization and biological activity of some transition metals with Schiff base derived from 2-thiophene carboxaldehydw and aminobenzoic acid. Spectrochimica Acta- A, 2005;62;1140-1150.
25. El-BaradieKY. Preparation and characterization of sulfadiazine Schiff base complexes of Co(II), Ni(II), Cu(II) and Mn(II). 2005;136;1139-1155.