SYNTHESIS AND MICROBIAL EVALUATION OF SOME NOVEL ETHYL-4-(SUBSTITUTED PHENYL-5-YL)-6-(6-METHOXYNAPTHALEN)-2-OXO-CYCLOHEXA-3-ENE-1-ETHYL CARBOXYLATE DERIVATIVES
Keywords:Cyclohexenones, Michael addition, ethyl acetoacetate, Chalcones
Objective:A series of some novel pharmacological active moleculeEthyl-4-(substituted phenyl-5-yl)-6-(6-methoxynapthalen)-2 oxo-cyclohexa-3-ene- 1-ethyl carboxylate derivatives were synthesized and evaluated in vitro for Antibacterial activity against staphylococcus aureus, Escherichia coli, Salmonella Typhi, Bacillus subtilis and antifungal activity against Aspergillusniger, Aspergillusflavus and Penicilliumchrysogenum,Fusariummoneliforme.
Methods: The present research work describes the synthesis of Cyclohexenones by Michael addition. In the present investigation first Chalcones and their derivatives have been synthesized. Chalcones, 3-(6-methoxynaphthalen-1-yl)-1-phenylprop-2-en-1-one(3a-f) were prepared by the Aldol condensation of substituted acetophenone and 6-methoxy-1-napthaldehyde. Base catalyzed condensation of 3-(6-methoxynaphthalen-1-yl)-1-phenyl prop-2-en-1-one (3a-f) with ethyl acetoacetate (4) yields corresponding Ethyl-4-(substituted phenyl-5-yl)-6-(6-methoxynapthalen)-2-oxocyclohexa- 3-ene-1-ethyl carboxylate (5a-f).The newly synthesized compounds were characterized on the basis of elemental analysis, spectroscopic studies viz, FT-IR, 1H NMR and mass.
Results: Literature survey reveals that the synthesized pharmacological active molecule i.e. substituted Ethyl-4-(substituted phenyl-5-yl)-6-(6- methoxynapthalen)-2-oxo-cyclohexa-3-ene-1-ethyl carboxylate (5a-f)was not reported.
Conclusion:All these newly synthesized compounds were evaluated for their in vitro antimicrobial activity. Most of the compounds showed potent activity.
2. B ABohm, Human uses of flavonoids, in: B.A. Bohm (Ed.), Introduction to Flavonoids, Harwood Academic Publishers, Amsterdam, 1998, pp.365e393.
3. D NDhar, The chemistry of chalcones and related compounds, The Chemistry of Chalcones and Related Compounds, Wiley- Inter science, New York, 1981.
4. J R Dimmock, D W Elias, M ABeazely, N MKandepu,Bioactivities of chalcones,Curr. Med. Chem. 1999;6: 1125–1150.
5. H O House, Modern Synthetic Reactions, 2nd edition, W.A. Benjamin, Menlo Park, California, 1972; p. 595.
6. M E Jung, Comprehensive Organic Synthesis,vol. 4, Eds. B M Trost, I Fleming, Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1991; p. 1.
7. H D Tabba, N M Yousef, M M Al-Arab, Coll. Czech. Synthesis and spectral characterization of some trisubstituted Cyclohexenones Chem. Commun.1995;60: 594–604.
8. VPadmavathi, K Sharmila, A Somasekhar Reddy, DBhaskar Reddy, Reactivity of 3,5-diaryl cyclohexanones-Synthesis of spirocyclohexanes.Indian J. Chem., Sect. B, 2001;40: 11–14.
9. D Bhaskar Reddy, ASomasekhar Reddy, V Padmavathi.Synthesis of Annelated 1,2,3-Selena- or -Thia-diazoles.J. Chem. Research (S), 1998; 784–785.
10. V Padmavathi, B J Mohan Reddy, ABalaiah, K Venugopal Reddy, DBhaskarReddy. Synthesis of Some Fused Pyrazoles and Isoxazoles, Molecules,2000;5: 1281–1286.
11. Gheorghe Roman, cyclohexenones through addition of ethyl acetoacetate to chalcones derived from 2-acetylthiophene. ActaChim.Slov, 2004; 51: 537?544.
12. J PJasinski, J AGolen, SSamshuddin, BNarayana, H SYathirajan.Ethyl-2-amino-4,6-bis(4-fluorophenyl)cyclohexa- 1,3-diene-1-carboxylate, ActaCryst. 2012. E68, o585
13. YakupBudak, EsraFindik, Mustafa Ceylan. Cyclohexenones Through Addition of Ethyl Acetoacetate to 3-Aryl-1-(thiophen- 3-yl)prop-2-en-1-one Derivatives, S. Afr. J. Chem., 2010; 63: 1–5.
14. Ahmed A. Aljubouri1 , Khalid A. Albadrany2, Synthesis and Study of the Biological Activity of Some Cyclohexenone Derivatives. International Journal of Science and Research, 2018; 7(9): 781-788.
15. Vyas, D H, Tala S D, Akbari J D, Dhaduk M F, Joshi H S. Synthesis, antimicrobial and antitubercular activity of some cyclohexenone and indazole derivatives. Indian Journal of Chemistry, 2009; 48B: 1405-1410.
16. KalirajanR, Sivakumar S V, Jubie S,Gowramma B, Suresh B, Synthesis and biological evalution of some heterocyclic derivatives of chalcones, Int. J. of Chem. Tech. Res. 2009: 1(1): 27-34.
17. Al-Bogami A S, Mechanochemical synthesis of cyclohexenones and indazoles as potential antimicrobial agents, Research on Chemical Intermediates, 2016; 42(6): 5457-5477.
18. James B. Conant, Albert H. Bump, Harold S. Holt Addition Reactions of Phosphorus Halides. Iii. The Reaction WithDibenzal-Acetone And Cinnamylidene-Acetophenone.J. Am. Chem. Soc., 1921;43(7): 1677–1684.
19. EP Kohler, R WHelmkamp,The Addition Reactions Of Certain Pentadienones, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 1924;46(4): 1018–1024.
20. D. Loganathan, T. Varghese and G. K. Trivedi, Phase-Transfer Catalyzed Double Michael Condensation. Preparation Of 7,11- Bisarylspiro[5,5]Undecane-1,9-Diones, Organic Preparations and Procedures International, 1984, 16(2), 115-119.