ANALYSIS OF BIOACTIVE COMPONENTS FROM CHLOROFORM EXTRACT OF LYCOPERDON SP. (APIOPERDON)
Objective: The present work was done to find out various bioactive compounds present in the chloroform extract of Lycoperdon pyriforme using gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (GC-MS).
Methods: L. pyriforme was collected cleaned to remove any dirt and oven dried at 60°C. The sample was then finely powdered and extracted with chloroform using Soxhlet apparatus. The chemical composition of chloroform extract was then analyzed using QP2010S-Shimadzu GC-MS instrument.
Results: Chloroform extract resulted in the presence of 33 compounds with 1-Heneicosanol (11.17%) and E-15-Heptadecenal (11.08%) forming major compounds and 1-Tetradecanol (0.16%), Dichloroacetic acid, and decyl ester (0.15%) forming least.
Conclusion: The results indicated the presence of a variety of compounds thus providing the information about various bioactive compounds present in Lycoperdon sp. and its further application in the field of pharmacology.
2. Benedict RG, Brady LR. Antimicrobial activity of mushroom metabolites. J Pharmacol Sci 1972;6:1820-2.
3. Anke T. Basidiomycetes: A source for new bioactive secondary metabolites. Prog Ind Microbiol 1989;27:51-66.
4. Suay I, Arenal F, Asensio FJ, Basilio A, Cabello MA, Diez MT, et al. Screening of Basidiomycetes for antimicrobial activities. Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek 2000;78:129-39.
5. Yang JH, Lin HC, Mau JL. Antioxidant properties of several commercial mushrooms. Food Chem 2002;77:229-35.
6. Zoberi MH. Tropical Macrofungi. London: MacMillan Publishers; 1972.
7. Buswell JA, Chang ST. Edible mushrooms: Attributes and applications. In: Chang ST, Buswell JA, Miles PG, editors. Genetics and Breeding of Edible Mushrooms. Philadelphia, PA: Gordon and Breach Scientific Publishers; 1993. p. 297-394.
8. Mohanan C. Macrofungi of Kerala. Peechi, Kerala: Kerala Forest Research Institute; 2011. p. 670.
9. Lamotte J, Oleksyn B, Dupont L, Dideberg O, Campsteyn H, Vermeire M, et al. The crystal and molecular structure of 3-[(5S)-5-carboxy-2-oxotetrahy-drofur-5-yl]-(2S)-alanine (lycoperdic acid). Acta Crystallogr B Struct Crystallogr Cryst Chem 1978;34:3635-8.
10. Szumny A, Adamski M, Winska K, Maczka W. Identification of steroid compounds and essential oils from Lycoperdon perlatum. Przem Chem 2010;89:550-3.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.