UNREVEALING LA MAGIE DE CYANOACRYLATE: A REVIEW
Cyanoacrylate has been used in different surgical and dental specialties as a medical adhesive from last six decades. Owing to their unique properties, including bacteriostatic effect; hemostatic effect; biodegradation; biocompatibility, easy manipulation and reduced surgical time, they are now well accepted for wound closure. One of its advantages is that it has an excellent immunological response. In view of aesthetic needs, cyanoacrylate has been applied with satisfactory results, when compared with sutures. It presents a better approximation of edges of cutaneous and mucosal lesions, smaller residual scars, and biocompatibility. This article reviewed literature with the aim of revealing the uses of
cyanoacrylates in different dental and medical fields.
Keywords: Cyanoacrylates, Sutures, Wound closure, Dental
2. Ardis AE. U. S. Preparation of monomeric alkyl alpha-cyano-acrylates. Patents No. 2467926 and 2467927; 1949.
3. Coover H, Joyner F, Shearer N. Chemistry, and performance of cyanoacrylate adhesive. J Soc Plast Surg Eng 1959;15;413-7.
4. Coover HW. Cyanoacrylate adhesives. A day of serendipity, a decade of hard work. J Coat Technol 1983;706:59-61.
5. Verma D, Ahluwalia TPS. Cyanoacrylate tissue adhesives in oral and maxillofacial surgery. J Indian Dent Assoc 2002;73:171-4.
6. Coover HW, Joiner FD, Shearer NH, Wicker TH. Chemistry and performance of cyanoacrylate adhesives. Soc Plastics Eng J 1959;15:413-7.
7. Leonard F. The n-alkyl alpha cyanoacrylate tissue adhesive. Ann NY Acad Sci 1968;146:203-13.
8. Cameron J. The degradation of cyanoacrylate tissue adhesives. J Surg 1956;98:424.
9. Mori S. Comparative studies of cyanoacrylate derivatives in vivo. J Biomed Res 1967;1:55.
10. Leonard F, Hodge JW, Houston S, Ousterhout DK. Î±-Cyanoacrylate adhesive bond strength with proteinaceous and non-proteinaceous substances. J Biomed Mater Res 1968;2:173-8.
11. Tseng YC, Hyon SH, Ikada Y. Modification of synthesis and investigation of properties for two cyanoacrylates. Biomaterials 1990;11:73-9.
12. Vezin WR, Florence AT. In vitro heterogeneous degradation of poly(n-alkyl a-cyanoacrylates). J Biomed Mater Res 1980;14:93-106.
13. Watanabe S. Application of tetoron mesh-adhesive. Nagoya J Med Sci 1968;31:191-205.
14. McKelvie P. A trial of adhesives in reconstructive middle-ear surgery. J Laryngol 1969;83:1105â€“9.
15. Matsumoto T, Soloway HB, Cutright DE, Hamit HF. Tissue adhesive and wound healing. Arch Surg 1969;98:266-71.
16. Bhaskar SN, Cutright DE. Healing of skin wounds with butyl cyanoacrylate. J Dent Res 1969;48:294-7.
17. Capasso G, Bentivoglio G, Testa V, Maffulli N. osteosynthesis with an adhesive in skeletal fractures: an experimental study. Arch Putti Chir Organi Mov 1991;39:309-14.
18. Dâ€™Imperio N, Piemontese A, Baroncini D, Billi P, Borioni D, Dal Monte PP, et al. Evaluation of undiluted n-butyl-2-cyanoacrylate in the endoscopic treatment of upper gastrointestinal tract varises. Endoscopy 1996;28:239-43.
19. Magee WP, Ajkay N, Githae B, Rosenblum RS. Use of octyl-2-cyanoacrylate in cleft lip repair. Ann Plast Surg 2003;50:1-5.
20. Binnie WH, Forrest JO. A study to tissue response to cyanoacrylate adhesive in periodontal surgery. J Periodontal 1974;45:619-25.
21. Hoxter DL. The sutureless free gingival graft. J Periodontol 1979;50;75-8.
22. Reatzke PB. Covering localized the area of root exposure employing the envelope technique. J Periodontol 1985;56:397-402.
23. Paknejad M, Shayesteh YS, Esmaielieh A. Free gingival grafting; epiglu vs silk thread suturing: a comparative study. J Dentistry Tehran University Med Sci 2004;1:39-44.
24. Bhaskar SN, Frisch J, Margetis PM, Leonard F. Application of new chemical adhesives in periodontics and oral surgery. Oral Surgery 1966;22:526-35.
25. Lage-Marques JL, Conti R, Antoniazzi JH. The use of histoacryl in endontics. Braz Dent J 1993;3:95-8.
26. Robison C, Brookes SJ, Kirkham J, Wood SR, Shore RC. In vitro studies of the penetration of adhesive resins into artificial caries-like lesions. Caries Res 2001;35:136-41.
27. Ripa LW. Sealants revisited: an update of the effectiveness of pit and fissure sealants. Caries Res 1993;27:77-82.
28. Ahn DK, Sims CD, Randolpf MA, Oâ€™Connor D, Butler PEM, Amarante MTJ, et al. Craniofacial skeletal fixation using biodegradable plates and cyanoacrylate glue. Plast Reconstr Surg 1997;99:1508-15.
29. Bishara SE, Von Wald L, Laffoon JF, Warren JJ. Effect of using a new cyanoacrylate adhesive on the shear bond strength of orthodontic brackets. Angle Orthod 2001;71:466-9.
30. Clancy JM, Dixon DL. Cyanoacrylate home repair denture: the problem and a solution. J Prosthet Dent 1989;62:487-9.
31. Montanro L, Arciola CR, Cenni E, Ciapetti G, Savioli F, Filippini F, et al. cytotoxicity, blood compatibility and antimicrobial activity of two cyanoacrylate glues for surgical use. Biomaterials 2001;22:59-66.
32. Miller GM, Dannenbaum R, Cohen WD. A preliminary histologic study of the wound healing of mucogingival flaps when secured with cyanoacrylate tissue adhesives. J Periodontol 1974;45:608-18.
33. Saska S, Gaspar AMM, Hochuli-Vieira E. Cyanoacrylate adhesives for the synthesis of soft tissue. An Bras Dermatol 2009;84:585-92.