REVIEW ON ORGAN TRANSPLANTATION: A SOCIAL MEDICAL NEED
Organ transplantation is the procedure of replacing diseased organs, parts of organs or tissues by healthy organs or tissues. An organ transplant is a surgical operation where a failing or damaged organ in the human body is removed and replaced with a new one. The emerging field of Regenerative medicine is allowing scientists and engineers to create organs to be re-grown from the patient's own cells. Various different types of organ can be transplanted and it will prove a survival tonic for patient life. The transplant services team coordinates and work in a proper direction for successful transplantation. There is a lack of awareness among people with regards to deceased organ donation, the concept of brain death and the process of organ transplantation. Strong need for developing a centralized organ-sharing network among hospitals for better coordination, timely utilization and avoiding organ wastage.
Keywords: Organ Transplantation, Transplant Services, Organ Donation, Auto Transplantation
2. Ethics of Organ Transplantation Center for Bioethics February; 2004. p. 1-5.
3. Gutkind L. The world of organ transplant. Many Sleepless Nights; 1990. p. 1752-78.
4. Whetstine L, Streat S, Darwin M, Crippen D. Pro/con ethics debate: when is dead really dead? Critical Care 2005;9:538â€“42.
5. Hood AF, Gorgia B, Lisa FB, Evan RF, Geoge WS. Acute graft vs. host disease development following autologous and syngeneic bone marrow transplantation. Arch Dermatol 1987;123:745â€“50.
6. Cooper DKC, Lanza RP. Xeno: The promise of transplanting animal organs into humans. Oxford University Press:: Oxford; 2000. p. 1752-78.
7. Bols PE, Aerts JM, Langbeen A, Goovaerts IG, Leroy JL. Xenotransplantation in immunodeficient mice to study ovarian follicular development in domestic animals. Theriogenology 2010;73:740â€“7.
8. Ejere, Chikwendu Vincent, Okanya CL, Laureta Chinagorom. Organ transplantation and its physiological implicationsâ€“a review. Department of zoology and environmental biology. Anim Res Int 2013;10:1752â€“78.
9. Ericzon BG, Larsson M, Wilczek HE. Damino liver transplantation: risks and benefits. Transplant Proc 2008;40:1130â€“1.
10. Gruessner R, Benedetti E. Living donor organ transplantation. McGraw-Hill Incorporated: New York; 2008. p. 1752-78.
11. Ross LF, Rubin DT, Siegler M, Josephson MA, Thristlewaite JR, Woodle ES. Ethics of a paired kidney exchange program. N Engl J Med 1997;336:1752â€“5.
12. Rothman DJ. Ethical and social consequences of selling a kidney. J Am Med Assoc 2002;288:1640â€“1.
13. Shimazono Y. The state of the international organ trade; a provisional picture based on integration of available information. Bull W H O 2007;85:901â€“80.
14. Ibrahim HN, Foley R Tan L, Rogers T, Bailey RF, Guo H, Gross CR, et al. Long term consequences of kidney donation. N Engl J Med 2009;360:459â€“46.
15. https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/organdonation.html. [Last accessed on 31 Oct 2015].
16. https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/organtransplantation.html. [Last accessed on 02 Nov 2015].
17. https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/hearttransplantation.html. [Last accessed on 03 Nov 2015].
18. https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/kidneytransplantation.html. [Last accessed on 04 Nov 2015].
19. https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/livertransplantation.html. [Last accessed on 05 Nov 2015].
20. https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/lungtransplantation.html. [Last accessed on 06 Nov 2015].
21. https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/pancreastransplantation.html. [Last accessed on 07 Nov 2015].
22. https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/bonemarrowtransplantation.html. [Last accessed on 09 Nov 2015].
23. https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/isletcelltransplantation.html. [Last accessed on 10 Nov 2015].
24. http://www.transplantliving.org/after-the-transplant/medications/post-transplant-medications/. [Last accessed on 17 Nov 2015].
25. http://www.transplantliving.org/after-the-transplant/medications/types-of-immunosuppressants/. [Last accessed on 18 Nov 2015].
26. http://www.transplantliving.org/after-the-transplant/medications/switching-immunosuppressants/. [Last accessed on 18 Nov 2015].
27. https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000815.htm. [Last accessed on 19 Nov 2015].
28. https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/007457.htm. [Last accessed on 19 Nov 2015].
29. Partnering with your transplant team the patientâ€™s guide to transplantation. U. S. Department of Health and Human Services Health Resources and Services Administration; 2008. p. 1-118.
30. A study of the deceased organ donation environment in Delhi/NCR; 2013;1-6. Available from: www.organindia.org. [Last accessed on 19 Nov 2015].