THERAPEUTIC USES OF DEPENDENCE CAUSING AGENTS: THE PAST AND THE PRESENT
A lot is known about substance dependence and abuse, but very few studies have explored the use of potential dependence causing drugs as therapeutic agents. This could be attributed to stringent regulations and restricted availability of these agents. But, in the last decade, resurgence in the use of these agents as research tools has been observed. This review focuses on both the past and present therapeutic uses of dependence causing agents like amphetamine, nicotine and opioids to name a few.
Keywords: Drug dependence, Therapeutic uses, Amphetamine, Nicotine
2. Alcohol: Therapeutic use. Available from: http:// ecstasy.com.ua/alcohol/alcohol-therapeutic-use. [Last accessed on 24 Dec 2008].
3. Therapeutic Uses of Alcohol. Available from: http:// chestofbooks.com/health/nutrition/Disease/Therapeutic-Uses-Of-Alcohol.html#.VYfIS_mqqkp. [Last accessed on 24 Dec 2008].
4. Tripathi KD. Essentials of medical pharmacology. 6th edition. Jaypee Publications. Ethyl and methyl alcohols; 2013.
5. Powledge TM. Nicotine as therapy. PLoS Biol 2004;2:e404.
6. Peters MJ, Morgan LC. The pharmacotherapy of smoking cessation. Med J Aust 2002;176:486-90.
7. Guslandi M. Nicotine treatment for ulcerative colitis. Br J Clin Pharmacol 1999;48:481â€“4.
8. Subbarao A. Nicotine: therapeutic uses. Available from: http://www.doctorshangout.com/profiles/blogs/nicotine-therapeutic-uses. [Last accessed on 24 Dec 2008].
9. Willoughby JO, Pope KJ, Eaton V. Nicotine as an antiepileptic agent in ADNFLE: an N-of-one study. Epilepsia. 2003;44:1238-40.
10. Cox LS, Patten CA, Krahn LE, Hurt RD, Croghan I, Wolter TD. The effect of nicotine patches therapy on depression in nonsmokers. J Addictive Diseases 2003;22:75-85.
11. Lundberg S, Carlsson A, Norfeldt P, Carlsson ML. Nicotine treatment of obsessiveâ€“compulsive disorder. Prog Neuro-Psychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 2004;28:1195-9.
12. Li MD, Kane JK. Effect of nicotine on the expression of leptin and forebrain leptin receptors in the rat. Brain Res 2003;991:222â€“31.
13. Flood P, Daniel D. Intranasal nicotine for postoperative pain treatment. Anesthesiology 2004;101:1417-21.
14. Olson LC, Hong D, Conell-Price JS, Cheng S, Flood P. A transdermal nicotine patch is not effective for postoperative pain management in smokers: a pilot dose-ranging study. Anesth Analg 2009;109:1987-91.
15. Ballantyne JC. Opioid analgesia: perspectives on right use and utility. Pain Physician 2007;10:479-91.
16. Trescot AM, Helm S, Hansen H, Benyamin R, Glaser SE, Adlaka R, et al. Opioids in the management of chronic non-cancer pain: an update of american society of the interventional pain physiciansâ€™ (ASIPP) guidelines. Pain Physician 2008;11: S5-S62.
17. Chou R, Fanciullo GJ, Fine PG, Adler JA, Ballantyne JC, Davies P, et al. American pain society-american academy of pain medicine opioids guidelines panel. Clinical guidelines for the use of chronic opioid therapy in chronic non-cancer pain. J Pain 2009;10:113-30.
18. Chou R, Ballantyne JC, Fanciullo GJ, Fine PG, Miaskowski C. Research gaps on use of opioids for chronic noncancer pain: findings from a review of the evidence for an american pain society and american academy of pain medicine clinical practice guideline. J Pain 2009;10:147-59.
19. Noble M, Treadwell JR, Tregear SJ, Coates VH, Wiffen PJ, Akafomo C, et al. Long-term opioid management for chronic noncancer pain. Cochrane Database Systematic Reviews 2010;1: CD006605. Doi:10.1002/14651858.CD006605. [Article in Press]
20. Ripamonti CI, Bandieri E, Roila F. Management of cancer pain: ESMO clinical practice guidelines. Ann Oncol 2011;22:vi69-vi77.
21. Biancifiore G. Oxycodone controlled release in cancer pain management. Ther Clin Risk Manag 2006;2:229â€“34.
22. Mandal A. Available from http://www.news-medical.net/ health/Opioid-Uses.aspx. [Last accessed on 24 Dec 2008].
23. Coons JC, McGraw M, Murali S. Pharmacotherapy for acute heart failure syndromes. Am J Health Syst Pharm 2011;68:21-35.
24. Peacock WF, Hollander JE, Diercks DB. Morphine and outcomes in acute decompensated heart failure: an ADHERE analysis. Emerg Med J 2008;25:205â€“9.
25. ACCF/AHA Practice Guideline. American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Heart Association Task Force. Circulation 2013;128:e240-e327.
26. Smith SM, Schroeder K, Fahey T. Over-the-counter medications for an acute cough in children and adults in ambulatory settings. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2008;23: CD001831. Doi:10.1002/14651858.CD001831. [Article in Press]
27. Wikipedia. Available from: https://en.wikipedia.org/ wiki/Antidiarrhoeal. [Last accessed on 24 Dec 2008].
28. Methadone for drug abuse. Available from: http:// www.webmd.com/mental-health/addiction/methadone. [Last accessed on 24 Dec 2008].
29. Colasanti A, Rabiner EA, Lingford-Hughes A, Nutt DJ. Opioids and anxiety. J Psychopharmacol 2011;25:1415-33.
30. Rang HP, Dale MM, Ritter JM, Flower R, Henderson G. Cannabinoids. In: Rang & Dale's Pharmacology. 6th edition. Churchill Livingstone, London; 2007. p. 248-55.
31. Pertwee RG, Howlett AC, Abood ME. Cannabinoid receptors and their ligands: beyond CB1 and CB2. Pharmacol Rev 2010;62:588â€“63.
32. Grotenhermen F, MÃ¼ller-Vahl K. The therapeutic potential of cannabis and cannabinoids. Deutsches Ã„rzteblatt Int 2012;109:495-501.
33. Ware1 MA, Daeninck P, Maida V. A review of nabilone in the treatment of chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting. Ther Clin Risk Manage 2008;4:99-107.
34. Meiri E, Jhangiani H, Vredenburgh JJ. Efficacy of dronabinol alone and in combination with ondansetron versus ondansetron alone for delayed chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting. Curr Med Res Opin 2007;23:533â€“43.
35. Han S, Thatte J, Buzard DJ, Jones RM. Therapeutic utility of cannabinoid receptor type 2 (CB2) selective agonists. J Med Chem 2013;56:8224â€“56.
36. Rimonabant. Available from: https://en.wikipedia.org/ wiki/Rimonabant. [Last accessed on 24 Dec 2008].
37. Kavia RB, De Ridder D, Constantinescu CS, Stott CG, Fowler CJ. Randomized controlled trial of Sativex to treat detrusor overactivity in multiple sclerosis. Mult Scler 2010;16:1349â€“59.
38. MÃ¼ller-Vahl KR, Schneider U, Koblenz A. Treatment of touretteâ€™s syndrome with â–³9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC): a randomized crossover trial. Pharmacopsychiatry 2002;35:57â€“61.
39. Sieradzan KA, Fox SH, Dick J, Brotchie JM. The effects of the cannabinoid receptor agonist nabilone on L-DOPA-induced dyskinesia in patients with idiopathic Parkinsonâ€™s disease (PD). Movement Disorders 1998;13(Suppl 2):29.
40. Wikipedia. Available from: https://en.wikipedia.org/ wiki/Cocaine. [Last accessed on 24 Dec 2008].
41. On the therapeutic use of coca leaves and cocaine. Available from: http://www.encod.org/info/ON-THE-THERAPEUTIC-USE-OF-COCA.html. [Last accessed on 24 Dec 2008].
42. Grzybowski A. The history of cocaine in medicine and its importance to the discovery of the different forms of anaesthesia. Klin Oczna 2007;109:101-5.
43. Healy M. Turn on, tune in and get better? Available from: http://articles.latimes.com/2011/nov/30/health/la-he-drugs-of-abuse-20111130. [Last accessed on 24 Dec 2008].
44. Recent advances in the neuropsychopharmacology of serotonergic hallucinogens. Behav Brain Res 2015;277:99â€“120.
45. Baumeister D."Classical hallucinogens as antidepressants? A review of pharmacodynamics and putative clinical roles". Ther Adv Psychopharmacol 2014;4:156â€“69.
46. Koren G. Intranasal midazolam for febrile seizures. Br Med J 2000;321:64â€“5.
47. Perez-Barcena J, Llompart-Pou JA, Homar J, Abadal JM, Raurich JM, Frontera G, et al. Pentobarbital versus thiopental in the treatment of refractory intracranial hypertension in patients with traumatic brain injury: a randomized controlled trial. Crit Care 2008;12: R112.
48. Benzodiazepines: Overview and Use. Available from: http://www.drugs.com/article/benzodiazepines.html. [Last accessed on 24 Dec 2008].
49. Methaqualone. Available from: https://en.wikipedia.org/ wiki/Methaqualone. [Last accessed on 24 Dec 2008].
50. Arnold LE, Hodgkins P, Caci H, Kahle J, Young S. Effect of treatment modality on long-term outcomes in attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: a systematic review. PLoS One 2015;10:e0116407. Doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0116407. [Article in Press]
51. Heal DJ, Smith SL, Gosden J, Nutt DJ. Amphetamine, past and presentâ€“a pharmacological and clinical perspective. J Psychopharmacol 2013;27:479-96.
52. Oehen P, Traber R, Widmer V, Schnyder U. A randomized, controlled pilot study of MDMA (Ã‚Â±3,4-Methylenedioxymethamphetamine)-assisted psychotherapy for treatment of resistant, chronic post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). J Psychopharmacol 2013;27:40-52.
53. Schuster C, Maunz G, Lutz K, Kischka U, Sturzenegger R, Ettlin T. Dexamphetamine improves upper extremity outcome during rehabilitation after stroke: a pilot randomized controlled trial. Neurorehabilitation Neural Repair 2011;25:749-55.
54. Galloway GP, Buscemi R, Coyle JR, Flower K, Siegrist JD, Fiske LA, et al. A randomized, placebo-controlled trial of sustained-release dextroamphetamine for the treatment of methamphetamine addiction. Clin Pharmacol Ther 2011;89:276-82.
55. Greenwald MK, Lundahl LH, Steinmiller CL. Sustained release d-amphetamine reduces cocaine but not 'speedball'-seeking in buprenorphine-maintained volunteers: a test of dual-agonist pharmacotherapy for cocaine/heroin polydrug abusers. Neuropsychopharmacology 2010;35:2624-37.