CHEMICAL COMPOSITION OF ESSENTIAL OIL OF OCIMUM BASILICUML. (BASIL) AND ITS BIOLOGICAL ACTIVITIESâ€“AN OVERVIEW
Essential oils are complex mixtures of biological active substances used for fragrance and traditional medicine since long back. It contains mainly triterpenes and aromatic compounds, the chemical composition of the essential oils vary with seasonal, geographical and climatic conditions. Recently there are more researches focused on their chemical profiles and its medicinal properties. Due to their antimicrobial, antifungal, insecticidal, larvicidal and antioxidant properties, they are used as alternatives for synthetic chemical products to reduce cost and side effects. The genus Ocimum comprising of more than 150 species grows widely throughout the world. This review focused mainly on the chemical composition of Ocimum basilicum essential oil and its biological activities.
Keywords: Ocimum basilicum, Lamiaceae, Linalool, Methyl cinnamate, Methyl chavicol, Eugenol
2. Jirovetz L, Buchbauer G. Analysis, chemotype and quality control of the essential oil of a new cultivated basil (Ocimum basilicum L.) plant from Bulgaria. Sci Pharm 2001;69:85-9.
3. Buchbauer G. A review on recent research results (2008-2010) on essential oils as antimicrobials and antifungals. A review. Flavour Frag J 2012;27:13-39.
4. Silva MGV, Vieira IGP, Mendes FNP, Albuquerque IL, Santos RN, Silva FO, et al. Variation of ursolic acid content in eight Ocimum species from northeastern brazil. Molecules 2008;13:2482-7.
5. Zheljazkov VD, Callahan AN, Cantrell CL. Yield and oil composition of thirty-eight basil (Ocimum basilicum L.) accessions grown in mississippi. J Agric Food Chem 2007;56:241-5.
6. Yayasinghe C, Gotoh N, Aoki T, Wada S. Phenolics composition and antioxidant activity of sweet basil (Ocimum basilicum L.). J Agric Food Chem 2003;51:4442-9.
7. Guenther E. Determination of physical and chemical properties. The essential oils (Vol III). Toronto, New York and London: D. Van Nostrand Comp., INC; 1961. p. 236-62.
8. AkgÃ¼l A. Volatile oil composition of sweet basil (Ocimum basilicum L.) cultivating in Turkey. Nahrung 1989;33:87â€“8.
9. Simon JE, Quinn J, Murray RG. Basil: a source of essential oils. In: Advances in New Crops. Janik J, Simon JE. Eds. Timber Press: Portland. OR; 1990. p. 484-9.
10. Lachowicz KJ, Jones GP, Briggs DR, Bienvenu FE, Palmer MV, Ting SST, et al. Characteristics of essential oil from basil (Ocimum basilicum l.) Grown in australia. J Agric Food Chem 1996;44:877â€“81.
11. Zheljazkov VD, Cantrell CL, Evans WB, Wayne Ebelhar, M Coker C. Yield and composition of Ocimum basilicum L. and Ocimum sanctum L. grown at four locations. Hortscience 2008;43:737â€“41.
12. Hussain AJ, Anwar F, Sherazi STH, Przybyiski. Chemical composition, antioxidant and antimicrobial activities of basil (Ocimum basilicum) essential oil depends on seasonal variations. Food Chem 2008;108:986-95.
13. Opalachenoiva G, Obreshkova D. Comparatve studies on the activity of basil an essential oil from Ocimum basilicum L.-against multidrug resistant clinical isolates of the genra staphylococcus, enterococcus and pseudomonas. J Microbial Methods 2003;54:105, 10.
14. Vina A, Murillo E. Essential oil composition from twelve varieties of basil (Ocimum spp) grown in Colombia. J Braz Chem Soc 2003;14:744-9.
15. Lawrence BM, Reynolds RJ. Progress in essential oils. Perfum Flavor 1993;19:31-44.
16. Grayer RJ, Kite GC, Goldstone FJ, Bryan SE, Paton A, Putievsky E. Infraspecific taxonomy and essential oil chemotypes in sweet basil, Ocimum basilicum. Phytochemistry 1996;43:1033-9.
17. Mondawi BM, Duprey RJ, Magboul AZ, Satti AM. Constituents of essential oil of Ocimum basilicum var. thyrsiflorum. Fitoterapia 1984;55:60-1.
18. Gangrade SK, Mishra PK, Sharma RK. Variability in essential oil constituents of ocimum species. J Med Aromat Plant Sci 2000;22-23:13-6.
19. Zollo PH, Biyiti L, Tchoumbougnang F, Menut C, Lamaty C, Bouchet PH. Aromatic plants of tropical Africa. Part XXXII. Chemical composition and antifungal activity of thirteen essential oils from aromatic plants of Cameroon. Flavour Frag J 1998;13:107-14.
20. Keita SM, Vincent C, Schmit JP, Belanger A. Essential oil composition of Ocimum basilicum L., O. gratissium L. and O. suave L. in the republic of guinea. Flavour Fragrance J 2000;15:339-41.
21. Khatri LM, Nasir MKA, Saleem R, Noor F. Evaluation of Pakistani sweet basil oil for commercial exploitation. Pakistan J Sci Ind Res 1995;38:281â€“2.
22. Juliani HR, Simon JE. Antioxidant activity of basil. In: J Janick, A Whipkey. Eds. Trends in new crops and new uses. ASHS Press: Alexandria; 2002. p. 575â€“9.
23. Kasali AA, Eshilokun AO, Adeola S, Winter halter P, Knapp H, Bonnlander B. Volatile oil composition of new chemotype of Ocimum basilicum L. from Nigeria. Flavour Frag J 2005;20:45-7.
24. Lee SO, Choi GJ, Jang KS, Lim HK, Cho KY, Kim JC. Antifungal activity of five plant essential oils as fumigant against post-harvest and soil borne plant pathogenic fungi. Plant Pathol J 2007;23:97â€“102.
25. Purkayastha J, Nath SC. Composition of the camphor-rich essential oil of Ocimum basilicum L. native to northeast India. J Essen Oil Res 2006;18:332-4.
26. Sajjadi SE. Analysis of the essential oils of two cultivated basil (Ocimum basilicum L.) from Iran. Daru 2006;14:3.
27. Luiz SJ, Filho C, Blank AF, Alves PB, Ehlert PAD, Melo AS, et al. Influence of the harvesting time, temperature and drying period on basil (O. basilicum L) essential oil. Brazilian J Pharmacognsosy 2006;16:24-30.
28. Ismail M. Central properties and chemical composition of Ocimum basilicum essential oil. Pharm Biol 2006;44:619â€“26.
29. Politeo O, Jukic M, Milos M. Chemical composition and antioxidant capacity of free volatile aglcones from basil (Ocimum basilicum L.) compared with its essential oil. Food Chem 2007;101:379-85.
30. Stajkovic OR, Beric-bjedov D, Mitic-Culafic S, Stankovic B, Vukovic-Gracic D, Simic J, et al. Antimutagenic properties of basil (Ocimum basilicum L.) in Salmonella typhimurium TA100. Food Technol Biotechnol 2007;45:213-7.
31. Chalchat JC, Ozcan MM. Comparative essential oil composition of flowers, leaves and stems of basil (Ocimum basilicum L.) used as herb. Food Chem 2008;110:501-3.
32. Wossa SW, Rali T, Leach DN. Volatile chemical constituents of three Ocimum basilicum species (Lamiaceae) from Papua New Guinea. South Pacific J Nat Sci 2008;26:25-7.
33. Omer EA, Saud-alahl HAH, Hendawy SF. Production, chemical composition and volatile oil of different basil species varirties cultivated under Egyptian Soil salinity conditions. Res J Agric Biol Sci 2008;4:293-300.
34. Koba K, Poutouli PW, Raynaud C, Chaumont J, Sanda K. Chemical composition and antimicrobial properties of different basil essential oils chemotypes from Togo. Bangladesh J Pharmacol 2009;4:1-8.
35. Zhang BW, Li SK, Wu WJ. Activity of the essential oils of Ocimum basilicum Linn. var. pilosum (Willd.) Molecules 2009;14:273-8.
36. Chang X, Alderson PG, Wright CJ. Variation in the essential oils in different leaves of basil (Ocimum basilicum L.) at day time. Open Hortic J 2009;2:13-6.
37. Daneshian A, Gurbuz B, Cosge B, Ipek A. Chemical components of essential oils from basil (Ocimum basilicum L.) grown at different nitrogen levels. Int J Nat Eng Sci 2009;3:8-12.
38. Vani SR, Cheng SF, Chuah CH. Comparative study of volatile compounds from Genus ocimum. Am J App Sci 2009;6:523-8.
39. Benedec D, Oniga I, Oprea R, Tamas M. Chemical composition of the essential oils of Ocimum basilicum l. cultivated in Romania. Farmacia 2009;57:625-9.
40. Hassanpouraghdam MB, Hassani A, Shalamzari MS. Menthone-and estragole-rich essential oil of cultivated Ocimum basilicum L. from Northwest Iran. Chemija 2010;21:59â€“62.
41. Pripdeevech P, Chumpolsri W, Suttiarporn P, Wongpornchai S. The chemical composition and antioxidant activities of basil from Thailand using retention indices and comprehensive two-dimensional gas chromatography. J Serb Chem Soc 2010;75:1503â€“13.
42. Bassole IH, Meda AL, Bayala B, Tirogo S, Franz C, Novak J, et al. Composition and antimicrobial activities of Lippia multiflora Moldenke, Mentha x piperita L. and Ocimum basilicum L. Essential oils and their major monoterpene alcohols aloneand in combination. Molecules 2010;15:7825-39.
43. Romeilah RM, Fayed SA, Mahmoud GL. Chemical compositions, antiviral and antioxidant activities of seven essential oils. J Appl Sci Res 2010;6:50:62.
44. Rattanachaikunsopon P, Phumkhachorn P. Antimicrobial activity of basil Ocimum basilicum oil against Salmonella enteritidis in vitro and in food. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 2010;74:1200.
45. Hassanpouraghdam MB, Gohari GR, Tabatabaei SJ, Dadpour. Inflorescence and leaves essential oil composition of hydroponically grown Ocimum basilicum L. J Serb Chem Soc 2010;75:1361â€“8.
46. Kibwage IO. 21`Essential oils composition of Ocimum basilicum L. and Ocimum gratissimum L. from Kenya and their inhibitory effects on growth and fumonisin production by fusarium verticilliodes. Innovative Food Sci Emerging Technol 2010;11:410-4.
47. Anand AK, Manindra M, Haider SZ, Sharma A. Essential oil composition and antimicrobial activity of three Ocimum species from Uttarakhand (India). Int J Pharm Sci 2011;3:223-5.
48. Al-Maskri AY, Hanif MA, Al-Maskari My, Abraham AS, Al-sabahi JN, et al. Essential oil from Ocimum basilicum (Omani Basil): a desert crop. Nat Prod Commun 2011;6:1487-90.
49. Zamfirache MM, Burzo I, Olteanu Z, Dunca S, Surdu S, TruÅ£a E, et al. Research regarding the volatile oils composition for Ocimum basilicum L. and their possible phytotherapeutic effects. Analele ÅžtiinÅ£ifice ale UniversitÄƒÅ£ii â€žAlexandru Ioan Cuzaâ€, SecÅ£iunea GeneticÄƒ ÅŸi Biologie MolecularÄƒ, TOM IX; 2008.
50. Hanif MA, Al-Maskari MY, Al-Maskari A, Al-Shukaili A, Al-Maskari AY, Al-Sabahi JN. Essential oil composition, antimicrobial and antioxidant activities of unexplored Omani basil. J Med Plant Res 2011;5:751-7.
51. Sastry KP, Ramesh Kumar R, Niranjan Kumar A, Sneha G, Elizabeth M. Morpho-chemical description and antimicrobial activity of different ocimum species. J Plant Dev 2012;19:53-64.
52. Nour AH, Nour AH, Yusoff MM, Jessinta S. Bioactive compounds from basil (Ocimum basilicum) essential oils with larvicidal activity against aedes aegypti larvae 3rd International Conference on Biology, Environment and Chemistry IPCBEE; 2012.
53. Mohiuddin M, Chowdhury JU, Alam MK, Hossain MK. Chemical composition of essential oils from flavouring plants used by the tribalpeoples of bandarban hill district in Bangladesh. Int J Med Aromat Plants 2012;2:106-13.
54. Wierdak RN, Borowski B, Dzida K, ZawiÅ›lak G, Kowalski R. Essential oil composition of sweet basil cultivars as affected by nitrogen and potassium fertilization. Turk J Agric For 2013:37:427-36.
55. Poonkodi K, Ravi S. Chemical composition of the essential oil from basil (Ocimum basilicum Linn.) and its in vitro cytotoxicity against HeLa and HEp-2 human cancer cell lines and NIH 3T3 mouse embryonic fibroblasts. Nat Prod Res 2012;26:1112â€“8.
56. Stephan M, Zamfirache MM, Padurariu C, Truta E, Gostin I. The composition and antimicrobial activity of essential oils in three Ocimun species growing in romania. Cent Eur J Biol 2013;8:600-8.
57. Saha S, Dhar TN, Sengupta C, Ghosh P. Biological activities of essential oils and methanol extracts of five Ocimum species against pathogenic bacteria. Czech J Food Sci 2013;31:194â€“202.
58. Bariyah SK. Comparison of the physical characteristics and GC/MS of the essential oils of Ocimum basilicum and Ocimum sanctum. Int J Sci Res Knowl 2013;1:363-72.
59. Belong P, Ntonga PA, Fils EB, Dadji GAF, Tamesse JL. Chemical composition and residue activities of Ocimum canum sims and Ocimum basilicum L. essential oils on adult female anopheles funestus ss. J Anim Plant Sci 2013;19:2854-63.
60. Unnithan CR, Dagnaw W, Undrala S, Ravi S. Chemical composition and antibacterial activity of essential oil of Ocimum basilicum of Northern Ethiopia. Int Res J Biol Sci 2013;2:1-4.
61. Barcelos RC, Jham GN, Onkar D, Fernanda A, Vania M, Valente MM. Identification and quantification of the major fungi toxic components of the brazilian basil (Ocimum basilicum L.) essential oil. J Food Res 2013;2:5.
62. Govindarajan M, Sivakumar R, Rajeswary M, Yogalakshmi K. Chemical composition and larvicidal activity of essential oil from Ocimum basilicum (L.) against Culex tritaeniorhynchus, Aedes albopictus and anopheles subpictus (Diptera: Culicidae). Exp Parasitol 2013;134:7-11.
63. Bayala BIH, Bassole N, Gnoula C, Nebie R, Yonli A, Morel L, et al. Chemical composition, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-proliferative activities of essential oils of plantsfrom burkina faso. Plos One 2014;9:e92122. Doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0092122. [Article in Press]
64. Ntonga P, Baldovini N, Mouray E, Mambu L, Belong P, Grellier P. Activity of Ocimum basilicum, Ocimum canum, and cymbopogon citratus essential oils against plasmodium falciparum and mature-stage larvae of anopheles funestus s. s. Parasite 2014;21:33.
65. Hadarug DI, Nicoleta G, Hadaruga NG, Corina I, Costescu CI, David I. Thermal and oxidative stability of the Ocimum basilicum L. essential oil/Î²-cyclodextrin supramolecular system. J Org Chem 2014;10:2809â€“20.
66. Beatovic D, Milosevic DK, Trifunovic S, Siljegovic J, Glamoclija J, Ristic M, et al. Chemical composition, antioxidant and antimicrobial activities of the essential oils of twelve Ocimum basilicum L. cultivars grown in Serbia. Rec Nat Prod 2015;9:1, 62-75.
67. Joshi RK. Chemical composition and antimicrobial activity of the essential oil of Ocimum basilicum L. (sweet basil) from Western Ghats of North West Karnataka, India. Anc Sci Life 2014;33:151â€“6.
68. Abou El-Soud NH, Deabes M, Abou El-Kassem L, Khalil M. Chemical composition and antifungal activity of Ocimum basilicum L. Essential Oil Macedonian J Med Sci 2015;3:374-9.
69. Abbasy DWA, Pathare N, Al-Sabahi JN, Khan SA. Chemical composition and antibacterial activity of essential oil isolated from omani basil (Ocimum basilicum Linn.). Asian Pac J Trop Dis 2015;5:645-9.
70. Sharafati-Chaleshtori R, Rokni N, Rafieian-Kopaei M, Drees F, Salehi E. Antioxidant and antibacterial activity of basil (Ocimum basilicum L.) essential oil in beef burger. J Agric Sci Technol 2015;17:817-26.
71. Abd El-Azim MHM, Abdelgawad AAM, MohamedEl-Gerby, Sherin Ali, El-Mesallamy AMD. Chemical composition and antimicrobial activity of essential oil of Egyptian Ocimum basilicum. Indo Am J Pharm Sci 2015;2:837-42.
72. Khelifa LH, Brada M, Brahmi F, Achour D, Fauconnier ML, Lognay G. Chemical composition and antioxidant activity of essential oil of Ocimum basilicum leaves from the northern region of Algeria. Top Class J Herbal Med 2012;1:25-30, 26.
73. Telci I, Bayram E, YÄ±lmaz G, Avc B. Variability in essential oil composition of turkish basils (Ocimum basilicum L.). Biochem Syst Ecol 2006;34:489-97.
74. Saikia N, Nath SC. Evaluation of essential oil characters of sweet basil (Ocimum basilicum Linn.) growing at assam valley condition of Northeast India. Proceedings of the national symposium on â€œBiopropecting of Commercially Important Plantsâ€, Jorhat, India; 2003. p. 73-8.
75. Javanmardi J, Khalighi A, Kashi A, Bais HP, Vivanco JM. Chemical characterization of basil (Ocimum basilicum L.) found in local accessions and used in traditional medicines in Iran. J Agric Food Chem 2002;50:5878-83.
76. Shafique M, Jabeen Khan S, Habib Khan N, Chang X, Peter G, Alderson PG, et al. Study of antioxidant and antimicrobial activity of sweet basil (Ocimum basilicum) essential oil. Pharm Online 2011;1:105-11.
77. Srivastava HC, Shukla P, Tripathi S, Shanker B. Antioxidant and antimicrobial activities of sweet basil oils. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2014;5:279-85.
78. Adeola SA, Folorunso OS, Amisu KO. Antimicrobial activity of Ocimum basilicum and its inhibition on the characterized and partially purified extra cellular protease of Salmonella typhimurium. Res J Biol 2012;2:138-44.
79. Moghaddam AMD, Shayegh J, Mikaili P, Sharaf JD. Antimicrobial activity of essential oil extract of Ocimum basilicum L. leaves on a variety of pathogenic bacteria. J Med Plants Res 2011;5:3453-6.
80. Elagayyar M, Draughan FA, Golden DA, Mount JR. Antimicrobial activity of essential oils from plants against selected pathogenic and saprophytic microorganisms. J Food Protect 2001;64:1019-24.
81. Hossain MA, Kabir MJ, Rahman SM, Das AK, Singha SK, Alam MK, et al. Antibacterial properties of essential oils and methanol extracts of sweet basil Ocimum basilicum occurring in Bangladesh. Phar Biol 2010;48:504-11.
82. Sanni S, Onyeyili PA, Sanni FS. Phytochemical analysis, elemental detrermination and some in vitro antibacterial activity of Ocimum basilicum L. Leaf extracts. Res J Phytochem 2008;2:77-83.
83. Deshpande RS, Tipnis HP. Insecticidal activity of Ocimum basilicum L. Pesticides 1997;11:1â€“12.
84. Chokechaijaroeparn O, Bunyaprahatsava N, Kongchensin S. Mosquito repellent activities of Ocimum volatile oils. Phytomed 1994;1:135.
85. Baba G, Lawal AO, Shariff HB. Mosquito repellent activity and phytochemical characterization of essential oils from Striga hermonthica, Hyptis spicigera and Ocimum basilicum Leaf Extracts. Br J Pharm Toxicol 2012;3:43-8.
86. Oliveiraa JS, Livia A Porto, Charles S Estevam, Rosana S Siqueira, PÃ©ricles B Alves, Edenilson S Niculau, Arie F Blank, et al. Phytochemical screening and anticonvulsant property of Ocimum basilicumleaf essential oil. Bol Latinoam Caribe Plant Med Aromat 2009;8:195-202.
87. Sethi S, Om Prakash, Chandra M, Punetha H, Pant AK. Antifungal activity of essential oils of some Ocimum species collected from different locations of Uttarakhand. Indian J Nat Prod Sci 2013;4:392-7.
88. Manosroi A, Dhumtanom P, Manosroi J. Anti-proliferative activity of essential oil extracted from Thai medicinal plants on KB and P388 cell lines. Cancer Lett 2006;235:114-20.
89. Marotti M, Piccaglia R, Giovanelli E. Differences in essential oilcomposition of basil (Ocimum basilicum L.) Italian cultivars related tomorphological characteristics. J Agric Food Chem 1996;44:926â€“9.
90. Okoye FBC, Obonga WO, Onyegbule FA, Ndu, OO, Ihekwereme CP. Chemical composition and anti-inflammatory activity of essential oils from the leaves of Ocimum basilicum L. and Ocimum gratissimum L. (Lamiaceae). Int J Pharm Sci Res 2014;5:2174-80.