ORAL VIAL WITH PLUNGER AND TEAR OFF CAP (VPTC) IS AN ALTERNATIVE DOSAGE FORM FOR DIETARY SUPPLEMENTS
"Oral vial with plunger and tear off cap" (VPTC) is introduced as a novel dosage form to combine the advantages of liquid dosages with those of solid dosages and to ensure the quality of the product at the time of administration. It is ideal for minerals, vitamins, plant extracts, proteins, amino acids, prebiotics and probiotics. This present review highlights the advantages of the dosage form VPTC, a full description of it, formulation development, some marketed preparations and some common designs of dispensing caps in the world.
2. Allawadi D, Singh N, Singh S, Arora S. Solid dispersions: a review on drug delivery system and solubility enhancement. Int J Pharm Sci 2013;4:2094-105.
3. Rajmalle RK, Zameerruddin M, Jadhav SB, Kadam VS, Bharkad VB. Recent approaches solubility and dissolution enhancement of atorvastatin: a review. World J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;3:534-44.
4. Rubendra K, Dinesh KM, Dinesh KJ. Solid dispersion: a novel means of solubility enhancement: a review. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;3:2394-5125.
5. Remington the science and practice of pharmacy. 21st edition. Phyladelphia college of pharmacy and science: 2005.
6. U. S. Food and Drug Administration. Dietary Supplements; 2015.
7. Radimer K, Bindewald B, Hughes J, Ervin B, Swanson C, Picciano MF. Dietary supplement use by US adults: data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 1999â€“2000. Am J Epidemiol 2004;160:339-49.
8. Stephen PF, Brittany UB, Caitlyn AS, Jennifer SL, Evelyn P. Vitamin and mineral supplements in the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease and cancer: an updated systematic evidence review for the U. S. preventive services task force FREE. Ann Internal Med 2013;159:824-34.
9. Gahche J, Bailey R, Burt V, Hughes J, Yetley E, Dwyer J, et al. Dietary supplement use among U. S. adults have increased since NHANES III (1988â€“1994). NCHS Data Brief 2011;61:1-8.
10. Nutrition Business Journal. NBJ's Supplement Business Report: an analysis of markets, trends, competition and strategy in the U. S. dietary supplement industry. New York: Penton Media; 2011.
11. FAO/WHO, Health and Nutritional Properties of Probiotics in Food including Powder Milk with Live Lactic Acid Bacteria; 2001.
12. Maria Jose Saez Lara, Carolina Gomez Llorente, Julio Plaza-Diaz, Angel Gil. The role of probiotic lactic acid bacteria and bifidobacteria in the prevention and treatment of inflammatory bowel disease and other related diseases: a systematic review of randomised human clinical trials. BioMed Res Int 2015. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2015/505878
13. Carlos RS, Luciana Porto SV, Michele RS, Adriane Bianchi PM, Caroline TY, Juliano DL, et al. The potential of probiotics. Food Technol Biotechnol 2010;48:413â€“34.
14. GR Gibson, RA Rastall, R Fuller. The health benefits of probiotics and prebiotics. In: Gut Flora, Nutrition, Immunity and Health, R Fuller, G Perdigon. Eds. Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford, UK; 2003. p. 52â€“76.
15. Mary Ellen Sanders: Overview of functional foods: emphasis on probiotic bacteria. Int Dairy J 1998:8;341â€“7.
16. Ruba Kello. Design and characterization of a novel sugar-free formulation of ferrous gluconate in oral vial with the plunger and tear off cap (VPTC). Int J Adv Pharm Biol Chem 2015:4;2277-4688.
17. Official web of Humana Portugal. Available from: http://humana.pt/produto/lactogermine-penta. [Last accessed on 20 Jun 2016]
18. Ruba Kello. Design and characterization of a new sugar-free formulation of vitamins C, E, B6 and minerals Zn2+and Mn2+for children in oral vial with the plunger and tear off cap. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:95-8.
19. U. S. Food and Drug Administration, Guidance for Industry: A Food Labeling Guide (9. Appendix A: Definitions of Nutrient Content Claims); 2013.
20. Patent US 8408389 B1, Michael R. Anderson, Button activated dispensing cap for a liquid container; 2013.
21. Official web of Bericap. Available from: http://www. bericap.com/nc/news-detail/article/lifetop. [Last accessed on 20 Jun 2016]
22. Official web of Teamplast. Available from: http://www.teamplast.nl/en/products/the-ultimate-cap. [Last accessed on 20 Jun 2016]
23. Official web of Power cap. Available: http://mypowercap.com. [Last accessed on 20 Jun 2016]
24. Official web of Vicap systems Ltd. Available from: http://www.vicapsystems.eu. [Last accessed on 20 Jun 2016]
25. Official web of Fresh Beverages International. Available from: http://freshbeveragesinternational.com/index.html. [Last accessed on 20 Jun 2016]
26. Official web of Tap the Cap. Available from: http://www.tapthecap.com. [Last accessed on 20 Jun 2016]
27. ICH Harmonized Tripartite Guidelines. Stability testing of New Drug Substances and products Q1A (R2); 2003.
28. O'Neil MJ. ed. The Merck Index-An Encyclopedia of Chemicals, Drugs, and Biologicals. 13th Edition. Whitehouse Station, NJ: Merck and Co; 2001. p. 716.
29. British Pharmacopoeia (BP)-Setting standards for medicines; 2011.
30. Sax NI. Dangerous properties of industrial materials. 4th ed. New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold; 1975. p. 768.
31. Osol A, Hoover JE. Remington's pharmaceutical sciences. 15th ed. Easton, Pennsylvania: Mack Publishing Co; 1975. p. 776.
32. Bakker AJ, Berg HM. Effect of taurine on sarcoplasmic reticulum function and force in skinned fast-twitch skeletal muscle fibers of the rat. J Physiol 2002;538:185â€“94.
33. Huxtable R. Physiological actions of taurine. Physiol Rev 1992;72:101â€“63.
34. Warskulat U, FlÃ¶gel U, Jacoby C, Hartwig HG, Thewissen M, Merx MW, et al. Taurine transporter knockout depletes muscle taurine levels and resultsin severe skeletal muscle impairment but leaves cardiac function uncompromised. FASEB J 2004;18:577â€“9.
35. Warskulat U, Heller-Stilb B, Oermann E, Zilles K, Haas H, Lang F, et al. Phenotype of the taurine transporter knockout mouse. Methods Enzymol 2007;428:439â€“58.
36. Jessica R Terrillab, Miranda D Groundsb, Peter G Arthura. Taurine deficiency, synthesis and transport in the mdx mouse model for duchenne muscular dystrophy. Int J Biochem Cell Biol 2015;66:141â€“8.
37. Official web of Humana. Available from: https://www. humana.it/prodotti/per-linea/integratori/lactogermine-plus. [Last accessed on 20 Jun 2016]
38. Official web of Humana, Italy. Available from: https://www.humana.it/prodotti/per-linea/integratori/lactogermine-baby. [Last accessed on 20 Jun 2016]
39. Official web of Humana Portugal. Available from: http://humana.pt/produto/lactogermine-penta. [Last accessed on 20 Jun 2016].