IS THERE ANY BENEFIT OF CITICOLINE FOR ACUTE ISCHEMIC STROKE ? SYSTEMATIC REVIEW OF CURRENT EVIDENCES
Two main strategies have been suggested for the treatment of ischemic stroke including reperfusion and neuroprotection. Citicoline is one of neuroprotector agent that commonly used in ischemic stroke. A systematic review of citicoline focusing only on ischemic stroke has not yet performed. This systematic review aimed to identify the effectiveness of citicoline in patients with ischemic stroke history. A systematic research was performed using PubMed and Cochrane Library as the database. Keywords were: â€œciticoline and strokeâ€, â€œciticoline and ischemic strokeâ€, and â€œrandomized controlled trial citicoline". The inclusion criteria were: (i) the trials conducted between 2007 to 2017, (ii) written in English, (iii) the studies performed in human, (iv) patients had ischemic stroke history, (v) citicoline was the main drug assessed in the study. The exclusion criteria i.e.: (i) the study was not a randomized controlled trial (RCT) and (ii) the full text was not available. The quality of RCT was determined by using Jadad score. A literature search revealed 541 journals from PubMed and Cochrane Library. After screening the title and abstract, adjusting for inclusion and exclusion criteria, adjusting for the irrelevant topic, and duplication the final result was 4 RCT studies. All studies had a good quality, indicated by Jadad score of 3 or more. Three studies conclude that no statistically significant difference in treatment outcome between citicoline and other groups. The last study revealed citicoline is effective in preventing post-stroke cognitive impairment.
2. Toyoda K. Epidemiology and registry studies of stroke in Japan. J Stroke 2013;15:21-6.
3. do Carmo JF, Morelato RL, Pinto HP, de Oliveira ERA. Disability after stroke: a systematic review. Fisioter Mov 2015;28:407-18.
4. Fisher M. New approaches to neuroprotective drug development. Stroke 2011;42 Suppl 1:S24-7.
5. Shiber JR, Fontane E, Adewale A. Stroke registry: hemorrhagic vs ischemic strokes. Am J Emergency Med 2010;28:331â€“3.
6. Spurthi T, Gowthami B, Khyathi D, Vinod G. Risk elements and drug utilization in stroke patients. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8:290-2.
7. Fisher M. New approaches to neuroprotective drug development. Stroke 2011;42 Suppl 1:S24-7.
8. Sutherland BA, Minnerup J, Balami JS, Arba F, Buchan AM, Kleinschnitz C. Neuroprotection for ischaemic stroke: translation from the bench to the bedside. Int J Stroke 2012;7:407-18.
9. Ginsberg MD. Neuroprotection for ischemic stroke: past, present, and future. Neuropharmacology 2008;55:363-89.
10. Mathew E, Chandrika C, Karanath PM, Srinivasa R. A prospective observational study on prescribing trends and adverse reaction in stroke patients. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9:25-30.
11. Wagle L, Thomas AA, Shrestha S. Drug utilisation study of stroke and other patients admitted to general ward of neurology unit at the quaternary care private hospital. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9:23-8.
12. Liberati A, Altman DG, Tetzlaff J, Mulrow C, Gotzsche PC, Ioannidis JP, et al. The PRISMA statement for reporting systematic reviews and meta-analyses of studies that evaluate healthcare interventions: explanation and elaboration. Br Med J 2009;339:b2700.
13. Berger VW, Alperson SY. A general framework for the evaluation of clinical trial quality. Rev Recent Clin Trials 2009;4:79â€“88.
14. Davalos A, Sabin JA, Castillo J, Tejedor ED, Ferro J, Vila EM, et al. Citicoline in the treatment of acute ischemic stroke: an international, randomized, multicentre, placebo-controlled study (ICTUS trial). Lancet 2012;380:349-57.
15. Grewal N, Sharma G, Mohan G, Singh J. TO study efficacy and safety of citicoline in acute ischemic stroke. Int J Basic Clin Pharmacol 2012;1:72-6.
16. Mittal M, Goel D, Bansal KK, Puri P. Edaravoneâ€“citicoline comparative study in acute ischemic stroke (ECCS-AIS). JAPI 2012;60:36-8.
17. Sabin JA, Ortega G, Jacas C, Santamarina E, Maisterra O, Ribo M, et al. Long-term treatment with citicoline may improve poststroke vascular cognitive impairment. Cerebrovasc Dis 2013;35:146-54.
18. Grieb P. Neuroprotective properties of citicoline: facts, doubts and unresolved issues. CNS Drugs 2014;28:185-93.
19. Davalos A, Secades J. Citicoline preclinical and clinical update 2009-2011. Stroke 2011;42 Suppl 1:S36-9.
20. Martynov MY, Gusev EI. Current knowledge on the neuroprotective and neurodegenerative properties of citicoline in acute ischemic stroke. J Exp Pharmacol 2015;7:17-28.
21. Hurtado O, Lizasoain I, Moro MA. Neuroprotection and recovery, recent data at the bench on citicoline. Stroke 2011;42 Suppl 1:S33-5.