Neem : A Boon in Medical and Dental Therapies: A review
In traditional medicine most of the diseases have been treated by administration of plant or plant product. Neem, the versatile medicinal plant is the unique source of various compounds. It is considered as a valuable source of unique natural products for development of medicines against various diseases and also for the development of industrial products. Neem, an elegant medicinal plant was found to be the source of various bioactive compounds of medicinal and cosmetic importance. Each part of the neem tree has some medicinal property. This review gives a bird's eye view mainly on the biological activities of the neem and some of their compounds isolated, pharmacological actions of the neem extracts, and plausible medicinal and dental applications.
2. Roxburg W, 1874. Description of Indian Plants. Today and tomorrows printers and publishers, New Delhi, India.
3. Brahmachari G. Neem â€“an omnipotent plant : A retrospection. Chem biochem 2004;5:408-21.
4. Sateesh MK. 1998. Microbiological investigations on die-back disease of neem (Azadirachta indica A. Juss.). Ph.D. Thesis, University of Mysore, Mysore, India.
5. Jattan SS, M Shashikumar, G Pujar. Perspectives in intensive management of neem plantations. Indian For 1995;121:981-8.
6. Chari MS. Neem and Transfer of Technology. In : Neem and Environment, Sinh, R.P., M.S. Chari, A.K. Raheja and W. Kraus (Eds.) Vol. I. Oxford and IBH Publicating Co. Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi; 1996. p. 27-38.
7. Hedge NG. Neem and small farmers constraints at grass root level. Indian For 1995;121:1040-8.
8. Schmutterer H. Properties and potential of natural pesticides from the neem tree Azadirachta indica. Ann Rev Entomol 1990;35:271-97.
9. Uko OJ, TN Kamalu. The neem tree- uses and potentials. Nig J Exptal Applied Biol 2001;2:223-9.
10. Lale NES. Bio-activity and limitation against wide spread use of neem products for the management of insect pests. Nigerian J Applied Biol 2002;3:115-124.
11. Schmutterer H and RP Singh 1995. List of Insects Susceptible to Neem Products. In: The Neem Tree Sources of Unique Natural Products for Integrated Pest Management, Medicine, Industry and Other Purposes, Schmutterer H (Ed.). VCH, publishers, new York.
12. Parotta JA, 2001. Healing plants of Peninsular India., New York, CABI Publishing, 495-96.
13. Verkerk RHJ, Wright DJ. Biological activity of neem seed kernel extract and synthetic azadirachtin against larvae of Plutella xylostellal. Pesticide science 1993;37:83-91.
14. Hashmat I, Azad H, Ahmed A. Neem (Azadirachta indica A. Juss)-A natureâ€™s drugstore: an overview. Int Res J Biol Sci 2012;1:76-9.
15. Chatterjee A, Saluja M, Singh N, Kandwal A. To evaluate the antigingivitis and antipalque effect of an Azadirachta indica (neem) mouthrinse on plaque induced gingivitis: A double-blind, randomized, controlled trial. J Indian Soc Periodontol 2011;15:398-401.
16. Biswas K, Chattopadhyay I, Banerjee RK, Bandyopadhyay U. Biological activities and medicinal properties of neem (Azadirachta indica). Current science 2002;82:1336-45.