A VALIDATED STABILITY INDICATING ULTRA-PERFORMANCE LIQUID CHROMATOGRAPHIC METHOD FOR SIMULTANEOUS DETERMINATION OF METFORMIN HYDROCHLORIDE AND EMPAGLIFLOZIN IN BULK DRUG AND TABLET DOSAGE FORM
Objective: To develop a simple, precise, accurate, method was developed and validated for analysis of metformin hydrochloride (MET) and empagliflozin in (EMPA) in bulk and tablet dosage form.
Methods: The method used a reverse phase column, dikma C18 (50Ã—2.1 mm, 1.8 Î¼), a mobile phase comprising of phosphate buffer (pH-3): methanol (30:70 v/v) flow rate of 1.0 ml/min and a detection wavelength of 240 nm using a photodiode array detector. The proposed method was validated for various parameters like linearity, precision, accuracy, robustness, ruggedness, detection, quantification limits, stability studies, formulation analysis as per International Conference on Harmonization (ICH) guidelines.
Results: The retention time was found to be 1.189 min and 1.712 min for MET and EMPA respectively. The proposed method was found to be having linearity in the concentration range of 500-2500 Î¼g/ml for MET (r2=0.989) and 5-25 Î¼g/ml for EMPA (r2=0.994), respectively. The mean % recoveries obtained were found to be 100.35-100.48% for MET and 99.80-101.30% for EMPA respectively. Stress testing which covered acid, base, peroxide, photolytic and thermal degradation was performed on under test to prove the specificity of the method and the degradation was achieved. The developed method has been statistically validated according to International Conference on Harmonization (ICH) guidelines.
Conclusion: Thus, the proposed method can be successfully applied for the stability indicating the simultaneous determination of MET and EMPA in bulk and combined tablet dosage form and in the routine quality control analysis.
2. National center for biotechnology Information. Pubchem compound Database; CID=14219; Available from: htpp:// pubchem.ncbi.nlm.gov/compound/14219. [Last accessed on 18 Feb 2017].
3. Abdul-Ghani MA, DeFronzo RA. Inhibition of renal glucose reabsorption: a novel strategy for achieving glucose control in type 2 diabetes mellitus. Endocr Pract 2008;14:782â€“90.
4. Grempler R, Thomas L, Eckhardt M, Himmelsbach F, Sauer A, Sharp DE, et al. Empagliflozin, a novel selective sodium glucose cotransporter-2 (SGLT-2) inhibitor: characterisation and comparison with other SGLT-2 inhibitors. Diabetes Obes Metab 2012;14:83â€“90.
5. National centre for biotechnology Information. Pubchem compound Database; CID=11949646. Available from: htpp://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.gov/compound/11949646. [Last accessed on 18 Feb 2017]
6. Diabetes (type 2)-empaglifozin. Appraisal consultation document. NICE technology appraisal; 2014.
7. Janet B, McGill. The SGLT2 inhibitor empagliflozin for the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Ther 2014; 5:43â€“63.
8. Nair S, Wilding JP. Sodium-glucose cotransporter-2 inhibitors as a new treatment for diabetes mellitus. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2010;95:34â€“42.
9. White JR. Apple trees to sodium glucose cotransporter inhibitors: a review of SGLT2 inhibition. Clin Diabetes 2010;28:5â€“10.
10. Christian Friedrich, Katrin Metzmann, Peter Rose, Michaela Mattheus, Sabine Pinnetti, Hans J Woerle. A randomized, open-label, crossover study to evaluate the pharmacokinetics of empagliflozin and linagliptin after coadministration in healthy male volunteers. Clin Ther 2013;35:1.
11. Akula A, Prajwala N, Sandhya M. Development and validation of a RP-HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of metformin hydrochloride and gliclazide in bulk and combined dosage form. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2013;5:511-7.
12. Ayoub BM. UPLC simultaneous determination of empagliflozin, linagliptin and metformin HCl. R Soc Chem Adv 2015;5:95703-9.
13. Bhoomaiah B, Shree AJ. Development and validation of a RP-HPLC method for simultaneous determination of metformin HCl and miglitol in bulk and pharmaceutical formulation. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:135-41.
14. Madhukar A, Prince A, Kumar RV, Sanjeeva Y, Jagadeeshwar K, Raghupratap D. A simple and sensitive analytical method development and validation of metformin HCl hydrochloride by RP-HPLC. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2011;3:117-20.
15. Preethi Reddy N, Naga Thirumalesh C. RP-HPLC method development and validation for the simultaneous estimation of metformin HCl and canagliflozin in tablet dosage form. Int J Pharm Sci 2015;5:1155-9.
16. Padmaja N, Veerabhadram G. Method development and validation of a RP-HPLC method for the estimation of empagliflozin in the active pharmaceutical ingredient. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2015;7:724-7.
17. Prathap GM, Muthukumaran M, Krishnamoorthy B. Development and validation of simultaneously estimation of vildagliptin and metformin HCl hydrochloride by RP-HPLC in bulk and oral dosage form. Int J Adv Pharm Gen Res 2014;2:24-33.
18. Rajesh T, Lakshmi KS, Sharma S. Simultaneous determination of metformin HCl and pioglitazone by reversed phase HPLC in pharmaceutical dosage forms. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2009;1:162-6.
19. Shyamala, Nirmala K, Mounika J, Nandini B. Validated stability indicating RP-HPLC method for determination of empagliflozin. Der Pharm Lett 2016;8:2:457-64.
20. Bakshi M, Singh S. Development of validated stability indicating assay methods-critical review. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2002;28:1011-40.
21. Ravi Kant, Ramesh Bodla, Garima Kapoor, Rubina Bhutani. Development and validation of novel spectrophotometric methods for simultaneous estimation of pioglitazone and metformin in bulk and fixed dosage forms by the area under the curve and dual wavelength mode. Int J Appl Pharm 2016;8:48-53.
22. Mohammad Yunoos, Gowri Sankar D. A validated stability indicating a high-performance liquid chromatographic method for simultaneous determination of metformin HCl and dapagliflozin in bulk drug and tablet dosage form. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2015;8:320-6.
23. Dhanya B Sen, Sen AK, Aarti Zanwar, Balaraman R, Seth AK. Determination of alogliptin benzoate and Metformin hydrochloride in tablet dosage form by simultaneous equation and absorption ratio method. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:380-3.
24. Prasanthi Chengalva, Angala Parameswari S, Aruna G. Development and validation of a RP-HPLC method for metformin hydrochloride and nateglinide in bulk and combined dosage form. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8:267-71.
25. Mallikarjuna Rao N, Gowri Sankar D. RP-HPLC method for simultaneous estimation and stability indicating the study of metformin and linagliptin in pure and pharmaceutical dosage forms. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:191-7.
26. ICH guidelines for validation of analytical procedure: methodology and Harmonized Tripartite Guideline. Q2B ICH, Geneva; 1996. P. 1-10.
27. Geetha swarupa P, Lakshmana rao K, Prasad KRS, Suresh babu K. Development and validation of stability indicating a reversed phase high-pressure liquid chromatography method for simultaneous estimation of metformin and empagliflozin in bulk and tablet dosage form. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2016;9:126-35.