LIQUISOLID TECHNIQUE: A NOVEL APPROACH FOR DOSAGE FORM DESIGN
The liquisolid technique is a novel approach for delivery of drugs through the oral route. This technique is suitable for poorly soluble or water insoluble drugs, highly permeable drugs (BCS Class II drugs) and also for immediate or sustained release formulations. It is a novel "Powder Solution Technology" that involves absorption and adsorption efficiencies, making use of liquid medications, drug suspensions admixed with suitable carriers, coating materials and formulated into free flowing, dry looking, non-adherent and compressible powder forms. The design of liquisolid systems are mainly intended for enhancement of solubility, dissolution rate and bioavailability of poorly water-soluble and highly lipophilic drugs. Improvement in bioavailability may be due to increased surface area, increased aqueous solubility and increased the wettability of the drug. Liquisolid technique also has the potential to be optimized for the reduction of drug dissolution rate and thereby production of sustained release systems. Overall, liquisolid technique is a most promising and novel technique for enhancing the dissolution and bioavailability of poorly water soluble drugs and sustaining drug release from tablet matrices. The current review mainly focuses on theory and applicability of liquisolid compact technique towards solubility or bioavailability enhancement. Different carriers, solvents and coating materials employed are elucidated. Literature reports on the applicability of liquisolid compact techniques over a wide range of pharmaceutical formulations are also explicated.
2. Pingtian D, Dongkai W, Mei L, Haonan X, Jingzheng J, Xiao C, et al. Liquisolid technique and its applications in pharmaceutics. Asian J Pharm Sci 2016;9:1-9.
3. Rajeshbabu V, Areefulla SH, Mallikarjun V. Solubility and dissolution enhancement: an overview. J Pharm Res 2010;3:141-5.
4. Kadam SV, Shinar DM, Saudagar RB. Review on solubility enhancement techniques. Int J Pharm Biol Sci 2013;3:462-75.
5. Srujan Kumar M, Balaji A, Kanakaiah K, Mahalakshmi K. Liquisolid compacts: a novel approach for the enhancement of solubility of poorly soluble drugs. Indo Am J Pharm Res 2013;3:4386-95.
6. Anjan KM, Sastry GM, Ranjit PS, Murthy PN, Narahari NP. Liquisolid technique: a novel approach in pharmaceutical formulation development. J Chem Pharm Res 2014;6:529-43.
7. Shashidher B, Madhusudhanrao Y, Venkateswarlu V. The liquisolid technique: an overview. Braz J Pharm Sci 2011;47:475-82.
8. Kulkarni AS, Nagesh HA, Madhav SM, Jayashree BG. Liquisolid system: a review. Int J Pharm Sci Nanotechnol 2010;3:795-802.
9. Manpreet K, Rajni B, Sandeep A. Liquisolid technology: a review. Int J Adv Pharm Sci 2013;4:1-5.
10. Utsav SP, Khushbu CP. Liquisolid technique for poorly soluble drugs. J Sci Innovative Res 2013;2:145-59.
11. Doijad RC, Pathan AB, Gaikwad SS, Baraskar SS, Pawar NB, Maske VD. Liquisolid: a novel technique for dissolution enhancement of poorly soluble drugs. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2012;3:735-49.
12. Vijaykumar N, Sridhar T, Anilkumar C, Pragathi K. Enhancement of oral bioavilability of naproxen by liquisolid compaction technology: in vitro, in vivo evaluation. Indo Am J Pharm Res 2013;3:1359-69.
13. Bhumi BP, Chainesh NS. Recent research on liquisolid technology for solubility enhancement-a review. Int J Adv Pharm 2016;5:1-7.
14. Harshil MP, Chainesh NS. A review-recent research on liquisolid compact for solubility and dissolution enhancement. J Pharm Sci Biosci Res 2016;6:628-34.
15. Amrit BK, Indrajeet DG, Avinash HH, Pandurang ND, Satish BB. Liquisolid tablets: a novel approach for drug delivery. Int J Health Res 2009;2:45-50.
16. Sandip V, Vishal S, Nilesh G, Bakde BV. Effect of dissolution rate by liquisolid compact approach: an overview. Int J Chem Pharm Sci 2012;1:1013-8.
17. Vijaykumar N, Ramarao T, Jayaveera KN. Liquisolid compacts: a novel approach to enhance bioavailability of poorly soluble drugs. Int J Pharm Biol Sci 2011;1:89-102.
18. Ganesh NS, Deecaraman, Vijayalakshmi KNS, Raju L, Ramesh B. Formulation and evaluation of sustained release lornoxicam by liquisolid technique. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2011;11:53-7.
19. Surti N, Patel DS, Pipaliya RM. Liquisolid tablets for dissolution enhancement of a hypolipidemic drug. Indian J Pharm Sci 2015;77:290-8.
20. Meena K, Sneha M. A review on pioneering technique-liquisolid compact and applications. Res J Pharm Biol Chem Sci 2015;6:220-7.
21. Lova Raju KNS, Ganesh NS, Ramesh B, Kavitha K. Effect of dissolution rate by liquisolid compact approach: an overview. Pharm Lett 2011;3:71-83.
22. Pradeepkumar CH, Venugopalaiah P, Praveen Kumar CH, Gnanaprakash K, Gobinath M. liquisolid systems-an emerging strategy for solubilization and dissolution rate enhancement of bcs class-ii drugs. Int J Pharm Res Rev 2013;3:56-66.
23. Kishor SG, Sayyad FJ. liquisolid compact a review. Indian J Pharm Biol Res 2013;4:26-31.
24. Tushar NP, Zankhana PS, Bhagirath KP, Pritesh P. Formulation development and in vitro characterization of carvedilol sustain release tablet by using liquisolid technique. Pharmacophore 2014;5:451-66.
25. Aher SS, Pagar PR, Saudagar RB. Formulation and evaluation of liquisolid compact tablet of budesonide. Int J Curr Res 2016;8:35093-102.
26. Mustafa E, Shaimaa NA. Design zolmitriptan liquisolid orodispersible tablets and their in vitro evaluation. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9:297-303.
27. Padmapreetha J, Arulkumaran KSG. Effect of kolliphor El on dissolution rate of leflunomide liquisolid compacts. J Pharm Sci Res 2016;8:586-93.
28. Mowafaq MG, Kamil KA, Jaafar JI. Liquisolid compact as an approach for tenoxicam solubility enhancement using tween 80 as liquid vehicle. J Chem Pharm Res 2015;7:379-93.
29. Hitesh J, Pasha TY, Bais CS, Anil B. Comparision of liquisolid and inclusion complexation technique for dissolution rate enhancement of valsartan. Int Res J Pharm 2014;5:604-7.
30. Yesubabu B, Sunium MS, Koteswari P, Gopalakrishna CH, Ashok kumar Reddy D. Formulation design and development of fast disintegrating tablets of lamotrigine using liquisolid technique. Int J Pharm Res Scholars 2014;3:305-16.
31. Ali N, Yousef J, Leila M. Liquisolid technique as a new approach to sustain propranolol hydrochloride release from tablet matrices. Int J Pharm 2008;6:102-8.
32. Sandhya P, Shadab K, Divya B, Rao KSKP, Subrahmanyam CVS. Formulation and evaluation of liquisolid compacts of carvedilol. IOSR J Pharm Biol Sci 2013;6:26-36.
33. Tulsankar SL, Sayyad FJ, Umesh BK. Design and development of liquisolid compact of candesartan cilexetil to enhance dissolution. J Pharm Res 2013;5:381-88.
34. Soujanya B, Srujankumar M, Subrahmanyam KV, Shubhrajit M. Enhancement of solubility of efavirenz by liquisolid compact technique. Int J Innov Pharm Sci Res 2013;1:347-59.
35. Bhushan A, Bhairav, Megha S, Jadhav RB, Saudagar. Formulation and evaluation of liquisolid tablet of felodipine. World J Pharm Sci 2016;5:1670-85.
36. Patel D, Anmol E, Jain H, Upadhyay U. Enhancement of dissolution rate of gliclazide by liquisolid technique. Scholars Acad J Pharm 2015;4:132-7.
37. Jyothi P, Mohiuddi MZ, Shankaraiah P, Saritha C, Venkatratnam D. Formulation and evaluation of glyburide liquisolid compacts. Int J Pharm Res Rev 2014;3:36-46.
38. Iqbal Z, Amjad K, Yasar S, Lateef A, Ismail, Zia U, et al. Enhancement of dissolution rate of class II drugs (Hydrochlorothiazide); a comparative study of the two novel approaches; solid dispersion and liquisolid techniques. Saudi Pharm J 2015;1:650-7.
39. Chuahan PV, Patel HK, Patel BA, Patel KN, Patel PA. Liquisolid technique for enhancement of dissolution rate of ibuprofen. Int J Pharm Res Scholars 2012;1:268-80.
40. Majid S, Jafar A, Katayoun MS, Reza EF, Shirin SR, Ala S. Enhancement of dissolution rate of indomethacin using liquisolid compacts Iran J Pharm Res 2011;10:25-34.
41. Iizhar AS, Bhavani G. Liquisolid technique based tablets for enhancement of dissolution rate of nateglinide. Indo Am J Pharm Res 2014;4:2392-400.
42. Tejaswi A, Padma P, Arun kumar N, Srujanreddy M. Enhancement of solubility of nifedipine by liquisolid compacts technique. Indo Am J Pharm Res 2013;3:3433-65.
43. Shailesh TP, Hitesh HB, Dashrath MP, Suresh KD, Chhaganbhai NP. Formulation and evaluation of liquisolid compacts for olmesartan medoxomil. J Drug Delivery 2013;10:1-9.
44. Syed IA, Pavani E, Noman S. Liquisolid technique based sustained release tablet of trimetazidine dihydrochloride. Drug Invent Today 2013;8:302-10.
45. Amrit BK, Indrajeet DG, Avinash HH, Pandurang ND. Evaluation of in vitro dissolution profile comparison methods of sustained release tramadol hydrochloride liquisolid compact formulations with marketed sustained release tablets. Drug Discovery Ther 2010;4:20-32.