STABILITY INDICATING RP-HPLC METHOD FOR SIMULTANEOUS ESTIMATION OF DOSULEPIN HYDROCHLORIDE AND METHYLCOBALAMIN IN TABLET DOSAGE FORM
Objective: To develop an accurate, simple, rapid, precise, economic and stability indicating RP-HPLC method for the simultaneous estimation of dosulepin hydrochloride and methylcobalamin in tablet dosage form and validate as per ICH guidelines.
Methods: The column used was Kromasil C18 (250 X 4.6 mm, 5 Âµm), with a mobile phase containing acetonitrile: phosphate buffer pH 3 adjusted with o-phosphoric acid (60:40) with a flow rate of 1 ml/min. The effluents obtained were monitored at 285 nm with photodiode array detector. Dosulepin hydrochloride and methylcobalamin were subjected to stress degradation conditions like hydrolysis (acid and base), oxidation, thermal and photolysis degradation. The samples subjected to stress degradation were analysed by the developed method.
Results: The retention time for dosulepin hydrochloride and methylcobalamin was found to be 7.99 min and 1.97 min, respectively. The linearity of developed method was achieved in the range of 165-495 Î¼g/ml for dosulepin hydrochloride and 5-15 Î¼g/ml for methylcobalamin. The detection (LOD) and quantitation (LOQ) limits were found to be 0.75 Âµg/ml and 2.28 Âµg/ml for dosulepin hydrochloride and 0.040 Âµg/ml and 0.121 Âµg/ml for methylcobalamin respectively. In the stability studies, it was observed that there is no interference of the degradation products with drug samples.
Conclusion: An accurate simple, rapid, precise, linear and stability indicating RP-HPLC method was developed for simultaneous quantitative estimation of dosulepin hydrochloride and methylcobalamin both in bulk and pharmaceutical formulation. The method was validated as per ICH guidelines. This method holds good for the routine analysis of dosulepin hydrochloride and methylcobalamin in various pharmaceutical industries as well as in academics.
2. http://www.chemspider.com/Chemical-structure.4445579.html. [Last assessed on 09 Jul 2015].
3. Mostafa Y, Mamdouh G, Mostafa K, Shadeed G. Effect of additives on the intranasal preparation of cyanocobalamin. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:210-7.
4. Saba M, Tejaswi B, Chitra K, Gnanamani A. Metal complexes in the management of diabetes mellitus: a new therapeutic strategy. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:40-4.
5. Mejo CK, Junaid RPV, Rajeswari R, Ahana B, Elizabeth PP, Sivakumar T. Adverse effects and side effects on vitamin therapy: a review. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10:19-26.
6. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylcobalamin. [Last assessed on 09 Jul 2015]
7. Walash MI, Belal F, El-Enany N, Elmansi H. Spectrophotometric and spectrofluorimetric methods for the determination of dothiepin hydrochloride in its pure and dosage forms using eosin. Int J Biomed Sci 2010;6:327â€“34.
8. Abdulrahman SAM, Basavaiah K, Cijo MX, Vinay KB. Validation of UV spectrophotometric methods for the determination of dothiepin hydrochloride in pharmaceutical dosage form and stress degradation studies. J Appl Spectrosc 2012;79:780â€“7.
9. Abdellatef HE, El-Henawee MM, El-Sayed HM, Ayad MM. Spectrophotometric and spectrofluorimetric methods for analysis of tramadol, acebutolol and dothiepin in pharmaceutical preparations. Spectrochim Acta Part A 2006;65:1087â€“92.
10. Kumar VD, Mahesh MN, Gurupadayya BM, Ravi V. Simultaneous estimation of citalopram hydrobromide and dothiepin hydrochloride in human plasma by HPLC method. J Pharm Res 2011;4:50â€“2.
11. Narmada P, Vijaya LG, Nalini G. RP-HPLC method developmend and valdation for the determination of methylcobalamin and pregabalin in the combined capsule dosage form. Int J Res Pharm Sci 2013;4:25-9.
12. Varsha RG, Baheti KG, Dehghan MH. UV-Vis spectrophotometric method for estimation of gabapentin and methylcobalamin in bulk and tablet. Int J Chem Tech Res 2010;2:695-9.
13. Sharma MC, Sharma S, Sharma AD. Simultaneous estimation and validation of gabapentin and methylcobalamin in tablet dosage form: hydrotropic approach. Drug Invention Today 2011;3:95.
14. Sheladia S, Patel B. Implementation of QBD approach to develop and validate an analytical method for simultaneous estimation of duloxetine hydrochloride and methylcobalamin in pharmaceutical dosage form by HPTLC method. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8:105-13.
15. Usharani G, Chandrashekar B, Devanna N. Simultaneous estimation of dosulepin and methylcobalamin in bulk and pharmaceutical formulation by reverse phase high-performance liquid chromatography (RP-HPLC). IOSR J Pharm Biol Sci 2014;9:55-9.
16. Desai DB, Shah DA, Mehta FA, Chhalotiya UK, Bhatt KK. Liquid chromatographic estimation of dosulepin HCl and methylcobalamin in a pharmaceutical formulation. Res Rev: J Pharm Nanotechnol 2014;2:29â€“35.
17. Reddy LSK, Reddy DSLNP, Reddy GS. Validated stability indicating a liquid chromatographic method for simultaneous estimation of dosulepin and methylcobalamin in combined pharmaceutical dosage form. Orient J Chem 2014;3:1243â€“51.
18. ICH, Q2A Text on validation of analytical procedures, International Conference on Harmonization, Geneva; 1994. p. 1-5.
19. ICH, Stability testing of new drug substances and products (Q1AR2), International Conference on Harmonization, IFPMA, Geneva; 2003.
20. FDA, Guidance R. Validation of chromatographic methods. center for drug evaluation and research (CDER), Food and Drug Administration; 1994. p. 2.
21. FDA, ORA validation and verification guidance for human drug analytical methods. Food and Drug Administration; 2003. p. 1.