SIMULTANEOUS ESTIMATION OF LAMIVUDINE, ABACAVIR AND DOLUTEGRAVIR BY UPLC METHOD
Objective: To develop a simple, rapid, sensitive and effective reverse phase ultra-performance liquid chromatographic method (RP-UPLC) for simultaneous quantification of lamivudine, abacavir and dolutegravir in pure and tablet dosage forms.
Methods: Chromatographic separation was performed by using Waters-ACQUITY UPLC system equipped with auto sampler, photodiode array (PDA) detector, zodiac sil RP C18 (4.6 mm Ã— 250 mm, 3.0 Âµm) column, phosphate buffer (pH 3.0) and methanol in the ratio of 30:70 %v/v have been delivered at a flow rate of 0.25 ml/min and the detection was carried out using a Ultraviolet (UV) detector at a wavelength of 260 nm at ambient column temperature. The mobile phase was used as diluent.
Results: The retention time (Rt) for lamivudine, abacavir and dolutegravir were 1.763, 2.247 and 3.175 min respectively. A good linear response was obtained in the range of 15-75 Âµg/ml, 30-150 Âµg/ml and 2.5-12.5 Âµg/ml, respectively. The Limit of Detection (LOD) values were found to be 0.021, 0.330 and 0.038 Âµg/ml, respectively and the Limit of Quantitation (LOQ) values were 0.056, 1.320 and 0.095 Âµg/ml, respectively.
Conclusion: It was concluded that the developed RP-UPLC method was effective, suitable and conducive for analyzing lamivudine, abacavir and dolutegravir in pharmaceutical formulations. The method was quantitatively evaluated in terms of precision, linearity, accuracy (recovery), selectivity and robustness in accordance with standard guidelines.
2. Nachega JB, Parienti JJ, Uthman OA, Gross R, Dowdy DW, Sax PE, et al. Lower pill burden and once-daily dosing antiretroviral treatment regimens for HIV infection: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Clin Infect Dis 2014;58:1297-307.
3. Shah BM, Schafer JJ, Desimone JA. Dolutegravir: a new integrase strand transfer inhibitor for the treatment of HIV. Pharmacotherapy 2014;34:506-20.
4. Dinakar KR. Changes in the cd4 counts, hemoglobin and body weight in patients with hiv alone and hiv-tb co-infection. Asian J Pharma Clin Res 2014;7:35-8.
5. Sandeep B, Vasant RC, Raghunandan M, Mohammad A, Suresh BS. Factors influencing the substitution of antiretroviral therapy in human immunodeficiency virus/acquired immune-deficiency syndrome patients on first-line highly active antiretroviral therapy. Asian J Pharma Clin Res 2014;7:117-20.
6. Rajasekaran A, Manasvi S. Solid state characterization and quantification of abacavir sulphate, lamivudine and zidovudine and its tablet formulation by X-ray powder diffraction method. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8:141-4.
7. Nelson K, Varadarajan P, Narendra C, Kalyani P. Development and evaluation of oral controlled release matrix tablets of lamivudine: optimization and in vitro-in vivo studies. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:95-101.
8. Naveen P, Rohit D, Manubhai PM, Vijayal K. Adverse drug reactions with the second-line antiretroviral drug regimen. Asian J Pharma Clin Res 2014;7:75-9.
9. Eron JJ, Benoit SL, Jemsek J, MacArthur RD, Santana J, Quinn JB, et al. Treatment with lamivudine, zidovudine, or both in HIV-positive patients with 200 to 500 CD4+cells per cubic millimetre. New Engl J Med 1995;333:1662â€“9.
10. Gallant JE, Rodriguez AE, Weinberg WG, Young B, Berger DS, Lim ML, et al. Early virologic nonresponse to tenofovir, abacavir, and lamivudine in HIV-infected antiretroviral-naive subjects. J Infect Dis 2005;192:1921-30.
11. Gulick RM, Ribaudo HJ, Shikuma CM, Lustgarten S, Squires KE, Meyer WA, et al. Triple-nucleoside regimens versus efavirenz-containing regimens for the initial treatment of HIV-1 infection. New Engl J Med 2004;350:1850â€“61.
12. Khanlou H, Yeh V, Guyer B, Farthing C. Early virologic failure in a pilot study evaluating the efficacy of therapy containing once-daily abacavir, lamivudine, and tenofovir DF in treatment-naive HIV-infected patients. AIDS Patient Care STDS 2005;19:135-40.
13. Jemsek J, Hutcherson P, Harper E. 11th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections. San Francisco; 2004. p. 8-11.
14. Sudha T, Saminathan J, Anusha K, Keerthi M, Bhargavi Y, Ganesan V. Simultaneous UV spectrophotometric estimation of lamivudine and abacavir sulphate in bulk and in tablet dosage form. J Chem Pharm Res 2010;2:45-51.
15. Surya Rao S, Imran K, Srujana Divya G, Manikanta Kumar J, Thejonadh K, Kishore G. Simultaneous spectrophotometric estimation of abacavir sulphate in tablet dosage form. Arch Appl Sci Res 2010;2:23-7.
16. Venkatamahesh R, Dhachinamoorthi D. Visible spectro-photometric determination of abacavir sulphate in bulk drug and tablet dosage form. Int J PharmTech Res 2011;3:356-9.
17. Ferrer SM, Modamio P, Lastra CF, MariÃ±o EL. Determination of abacavir in human plasma by high-performance liquid chromatography with ultraviolet detection and the analytical error function. Biomed Chromatogr 2004;18:862-5.
18. Fan B, Bartlett MG, James TS. Determination of lamivudine/ stavudine/efavirenz in human serum using liquid chromatography/electrospray tandem mass spectrometry with ionization polarity switch. Biomedical Chromatography 2002;16:383-9.
19. Bennetto Hood C, Tabolt G, Savina P, Acosta EP. A sensitive HPLC-MS/MS method for the determination of dolutegravir in human plasma. J Chromatogr B: Anal Technol Biomed Life Sci 2014;945-946:225-32.
20. Balasekarreddy Ch, Awen BZ, BabuRaoCh, Sreekanth N, Ramalingam P. Validated HPLC method for determination of lamivudine and stavudine in their formulations. Pharmanest 2010;1:22-8.
21. Mandloi DK, Tyagi PK, Rai VK, Dey S, Ashada RK, Mohanraj P. Method development and validation of RP-HPLC in the application of in vitro dissolution study of lamivudine in bulk drug and tablet formulation. J Chem Pharm Res 2009;1:286-96.
22. Raja T, Rao AL. Development and validation of an RP-HPLC method for the estimation of abacavir, lamivudine and zidovudine in the pharmaceutical dosage form. Int J PharmTech Res 2011;3:852-7.
23. Snyder LR, Kirkland JL, Glajch JL. Practical HPLC method development. 2nd ed. New York: Wiley; 1997.
24. Namita K, Sateesh K, Ramesh P. Development of HPLC fingerprints for Mallotus species extracts and evaluation of the peaks responsible for their antioxidant activity. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2006;41:761-5.
25. Pereira AS, Kenney KB, Cohen MS, Hall JE, Eron JJ, Tidwell RR, et al. Simultaneous determination of lamivudine and zidovudine concentrations in human seminal plasma using high-performance liquid chromatography and tandem mass spectrometry. J Chromatography B 2000;742:173-83.
26. Rita de cassia E Estrela, Myrian C Salvadori, Guilherme Suarez-Kurtz. A rapid and sensitive method for simultaneous determination of lamivudine and zidovudine in human serum by on-line solid-phase extraction coupled to liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometry detection. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 2004;18:1147-55.
27. Mahua S, Sateesh K, Ramesh P. Development and validation of RP-HPLC and ultraviolet spectrophotometric methods of analysis for the quantitative estimation of antiretroviral drugs in pharmaceutical dosage forms. J Chromatography B 2006;830:349-54.
28. Kano EK, dos Reis Serra CH, Koono EEM, Andrade SS, Porta V. Determination of lamivudine in human plasma by HPLC and its use in bioequivalence studies. Int J Pharm 2005;297:73-9.
29. Yazen A, Catherine AW, Bartlett GB. Determination of lamivudine in plasma, amniotic fluid, and rat tissues by liquid chromatography. J Chromatography B 2004;803:279-84.
30. Fan B, Stewart JT. Determination of zidovudine/lamivudine/ nevirapine in human plasma using ion-pair HPLC. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2002;28:903-8.
31. Bengi U, Sibel AO. Determination of lamivudine and zidovudine in binary mixtures using first derivative spectrophotometric, first derivative of the ratio-spectra and high-performance liquid chromatographyâ€“UV methods. Anal Chem Acta 2002;466:175-85.
32. Basavaiah K, Somesekar BC. Titrimetric and spectro-photometric determination of lamivudine in pharmaceuticals. Indian J Chem Technol 2006;13:7-12.
33. Basavaiah K, Somesekar BC. Instructions about the preparation of manuscripts for NCS14 participants. Bulg Chem Commun 2006;38:145-51.
34. Bahrami G, Mirzaeei S, Kiani A, Mohammadi B. High-performance liquid chromatographic determination of lamivudine in human serum using liquid-liquid extraction; application to pharmacokinetic studies. J Chromatography B 2005;823:213-7.
35. ICH Q2(R1). Validation of analytical procedure: text and methodology, International Conference on Harmonisation of Technical Requirements for Registration of Pharmaceuticals for Human Use; 1996. p. 1-13.