UV-SPECTROPHOTOMETRIC METHOD DEVELOPMENT AND VALIDATION FOR THE DETERMINATION OF LORNOXICAM IN MICROSPONGES
Objective: To develop and validate a novel, specific, precise and simple UV-spectrophotometric method for the estimation of lornoxicam present in microsponges.
Methods: UV-spectrophotometric determination was performed with Thermo Scientific Evolution 201 UV-Vis spectrophotometer using methanol as a medium. The spectrum of the standard solution was run from 200-400 nm range for the determination of absorption maximum (Î» max). Î» max of lornoxicam was found at 353 nm. The absorbance of standard solutions of 3, 6, 9, 12 and 15, Âµg/ml of drug solution was measured at an absorption maximum at 353 nm against the blank. Then a graph was plotted by taking concentration on X-axis and absorbance on Y-axis which gave a straight line. Validation parameters such as linearity and range, selectivity and specificity, LOD and LOQ, accuracy, precision and robustness were evaluated as per ICH guidelines.
Results: Linearity for the UV-spectrophotometric method was noted over a concentration range of 3.0-15.0 Âµg/ml with a correlation coefficient of 0.9995. The limit of detection (LOD) and limit of quantification (LOQ) for lornoxicam was found at 1.26 Î¼g/ml and 3.82 Î¼g/ml respectively. Accuracy was in between 99.21 and 99.60%. % RSD for repeatability, intraday precision and interday precision were found to be 0.473, in between 0.478 and 0.619 and in between 0.855 and 1.818 respectively. The proposed UV method is found to be robust.
Conclusion: The proposed UV-Visible spectrophotometric method was validated according to the ICH guidelines and results and statistical parameters demonstrated that the developed method is sensitive, precise, reliable and simple for the estimation of lornoxicam present in microsponges.
2. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/lornoxicam [Last accessed on 10 Aug 2017].
3. Chopade VV, Chaudhari PD. Development and validation of stability indicating RP-HPLC assay method for determination of lornoxicam in self-emulsifying drug delivery system (SEDDS) formulation. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2014;5:2060-5.
4. www.medindia.net/doctors/drug_information/lornoxicam.htm. [Last accessed on 10 Aug 2017].
5. http://www.auburn.edu/~deruija/nsaids_2002.pdf. [Last accessed on 10 Aug 2017].
6. Peterson K, Mc Donough M, Thakurta S. Drug class review: nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), NCBI; 2010.
7. S Ashutosh Kumar, Manidipa Debnath, Dr JVLN Seshagiri Rao, B Chaitanya, B Balatripura Sundari, D Balaji, et al. A new RP-HPLC analytical method development and validation for estimation of lornoxicam in bulk as well as in pharmaceutical formulation by using PDA detector. Indo Am J Pharm Res 2014;1:577-87.
8. Surekha J Babar, Varsha B Mane, Satish B Bhise. Simultaneous estimation of lornoxicam and paracetamol in tablets by reverse phase HPLC method. Pharma Chem 2013;1:103-8.
9. Attimarad M. Simultaneous determination of paracetamol and lornoxicam by RP-HPLC in bulk and tablet formulation. Pharm Methods 2011;1:61-6.
10. Savita S Yadav, Anuradha S Jagtap, Janhavi R Rao. Simultaneous determination of paracetamol, lornoxicam and chlorzoxazone in tablets by high-performance thin layer chromatography. Pharma Chem 2012;5:1798-802.
11. Patel DM, Sardhara BM, Thumbadiya DH, Patel CN. Development and validation of spectrophotometric method for simultaneous estimation of paracetamol and lornoxicam in different dissolution media. Pharm Methods 2012;2:98-101.
12. Sunit Kumar Sahoo, Ranjit Kumar Giri. Development of an ultraviolet spectrophotometric method for analysis of lornoxicam in solid dosage forms. Trop J Pharm Res 2012;2:269-73.
13. Bannaravuri Thireesha, Ayya Rajendra Prasad. Development and validation of a simple UV spectrophotometric method for the determination of lornoxicam in 0.75% w/v PVA solution. Indo Am J Pharm Res 2016;9:6470-7.
14. Ayya Rajendra Prasad, Bannaravuri Thireesha. Development and validation of a simple UV spectrophotometric method for the determination of lornoxicam in pH 7.4 phosphate buffer. Indo Am J Pharm Res 2016;9:6478-85.
15. Validation of analytical procedures: Text and methodology. International Conference on Harmonization (ICH) Q2 (R1) guideline. Geneva, Switzerland; 2005.
16. Ravi Kant, Ramesh Bodla, Garima Kapoor, Rubina Bhutani. Development and validation of novel spectrophotometric methods for simultaneous estimation of pioglitazone and metformin in bulk and fixed dosage forms by area under curve and dual wavelength mode. Int J Appl Pharm 2016;3:48-53.
17. Kudige Nagaraj Prashanth, Kanakapura Basavaiah, Cijo Madatil Xavier. Development and validation of UV-spectrophotometric methods for the determination of sumatriptan succinate in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form and its degradation behaviour under varied stress conditions. J Assoc Arab Univ Basic Appl Sci 2014;15:43-52.
18. Jain R, Jain N, Jain DK, Patel VK, Harish Rajak, Jain SK. Novel UV spectrophotometer methods for quantitative estimation of metronidazole and furazolidone using mixed hydrotropy solubilisation. Arabian J Chem 2017;10:151-6.