DESIGN, FORMULATION AND EVALUATION OF LIPOSOME CONTAINING ISONIAZID
Objective: The objective of the present study was to formulate and evaluate liposomes loaded with isoniazid.
Methods: Liposome of isoniazid was made by thin layer film hydration method. L-Î±-phosphatidylcholine and cholesterol were used to make multiamellar vesicles. Six batches of liposomes were prepared based on the different weight ratio of L-Î±-phosphatidylcholine and cholesterol. Differential scanning calorimetry (DSC) study conducted to study in any incompatibility.
Results: The prepared liposomes were evaluated by particle size analysis, entrapment efficiency, release study and stability study. Particle sizes were determined from the scanning electron microscopy (SEM) photographs. When particle frequencies were plotted against particle diameter in the histogram, it showed that F1 batch had a skewed distribution towards smaller liposomes while F6 shows a proper bell-shaped curve with a mean at 225 mm. The percentage entrapment efficiency was found to be 8.99 Â± 0.15 to 4.19 Â± 0.12 % respectively. From the release profile, it was seen that F1 batch was fastest and F6 was slowest to release the drug. The satisfactory batch F1 was packed in Eppendorf tube and stored at 4 Â°C temperature for one month. At the end of one month, the samples were analyzed for their physical properties, drug entrapment and in vitro release profile. The percentage release was found to be 96.5 Â± 3.2 after 4 h.
Conclusion: The F1 batch showed most promising results compared to other. No significant change was found during one monthâ€™s stability study of final batch (F1).
2. Abolfazl A, Rogaie R, Soodabeh D, Sang WJ, Nosratollah Z, Younes H, et al. Liposome: classification, preparation and application. Nanoscale Res Lett 2013;8:2-9.
3. Rukholm G, Mugabe C, Azghani AO, Omri A. Antibacterial activity of liposomal gentamicin against Pseudomonas aeruginosa: a time-kill study. Int J Antimicrob Agents 2006;27:247-52.
4. Mamot C, Drummond DC, Hong K, Kirpotin DB, Park JW. Liposome-based approaches to overcome anticancer drug resistance. Drug Resist Update 2003;6:271-9.
5. Gregoriadis G. Liposome technology: liposome preparation and related techniques. 3rd Ed. Informa Healthcare, New York; 2007.
6. Tripathi K. Essentials of medical pharmacology. 5th Ed. New Delhi: Jaypee brotherâ€™s medical publishers (P) Ltd; 2008.
7. Rathod S, Deshpande SG. Design and evaluation of liposomal formulation of pilocarpine nitrate. Indian J Pharm Sci 2010;72:155-60.
8. Chaitanya K, Velmurugan S. Formulation and evaluation of levodopa effervescent floating tablets. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:189-93.
9. Senthilkumar KL, Ezhilmuthu RP, Praveen P. Preparation and characterization of nabumetone liposomes. Int J Life Sci Biotech Pharma Res 2012;1:81-6.
10. Yasmin Begum M, Abbulu K, Sudhakar M. Design and evaluation of flurbiprofen liposomes. J Pharm Res 2011;4:653-5.
11. Srinivas MBR, Vishakha K, Prakash P, Jamal BD, Govardhan T, Muni SP. Formulation and in vitro evaluation of liposomes loaded with mupirocin. Int J Res Pharm Nano Sci 2015;4:162-74.
12. Devi R, Prasad CM, Renganathan A, Kasthuri S, Sundharanjan R, Deepa N. Formulation, characterization and evaluation of fluconazole liposomes. Pharm Sin 2015;6:61-6.
13. Mitkari BV, Korade SA, Mahadik KR, Kokare CR. Formulation and evaluation of topical liposomal gel for fluconazole. Indain J Pharm Edu Res 2010;44:324-33.
14. Aharshikha S, Mani CT, Rajeshri KD. Enhanced dermal delivery of nadifloxacin using liposomes. Int J Appl Pharm 2016;8:53-9.
15. Priyanka B, Rohan L, Imran V, Sushilkumar P, Jitendra A, Ambikanandan M, et al. Liposomes encapsulating native and cyclodextrin enclosed paclitaxel: Enhanced loading efficiency and its pharmacokinetic evaluation. Int J Pharm 2018;536:95-107.
16. Rajesh K, R Deveswaran R, Bharath B, Basavaraj V. Development of mesalazine microspheres for colon targeting. Int J Appl Pharm 2017;9:1-9.
17. Syeda SS, Krishna SA. Formulation and evaluation of diclofenac sodium transferosomes using different surfactants by thin film hydration method. Pharm Lett 2015;7:43-53.
18. Behzad SM, Zahra A, Amrita A. Preparation and evaluation of mafenide acetate liposomal formulation as eschar delivery system. Int J Drug Dev Res 2011;3:129-40.