A REVIEW ON OPTIMIZATION OF DRUG DELIVERY SYSTEM WITH EXPERIMENTAL DESIGNS
The present review article aims at determining the various possible techniques available to enhance the quality, safety and efficacy of pharmaceutical formulations by exploring most suitable and practically applicable experimental designs and optimization techniques. As we know that pharmaceutical industries are constantly in search of novel ideas to improve quality by various optimization techniques, hence in present review article we shall discuss latest optimization techniques and experimental designs to achieve the best combination of product and process characteristics under the given set of conditions. Experimental designs and optimization techniques are the tools that are simultaneously and systematically used to identify various types of problems that may influence research, development and production of pharmaceutical formulations. These are organized an approach to determine the relationship between the factors affecting a process and the output of that process. The screening methods discussed here include factorial design, fractional factorial designs, full factorial design, mixture designs etc. Recently, different software has been used in implementing optimization techniques in pharmaceutical products to enhance product quality by using most suitable available facilities.
2. Singh B, Bandyopadhyay S, Kapil R, Ahuja N. Systematic optimisation of drug delivery systems: an insight. Pharm Rev 2008;7:146-86.
3. Alam IM, Khanam N, Shaik JK, Ganguly S. Quality by design-a recent trend in pharmaceutical industries. World J Pharm Res 2016;5:608-20.
4. Singh B, Pahuja S, Kapil R, Ahuja N. Formulation development of oral controlled-release tablets of hydralazine: optimization of drug release and bioadhesive characteristics. Acta Pharm 2009;59:1-13.
5. Singh B, Gupta RK, Ahuja N. Computer-assisted optimization of pharmaceutical formulations and processes. Pharm Product Development 2006;2:746-895.
6. Singh B, Kumar R, Ahuja N. Optimizing Drug Delivery Systems Using Systematic Design of Experiments. PartI: Fundamental Aspects. Critical Reviews in Therapeutic Drug Carrier Systems February; 2005.
7. Shobha R, Hiremath R, Vanaja K. Optimization techniques in pharmaceutical formulation and processing. Textbook of Industrial Pharmacy. Drug Delivery Systems, Cosmetic and Herbal Drug Technology; 2016. p. 158-68.
8. Kumar RG, Sanghvi I. Optimization techniques: an overview for formulation development. Asian J Pharm Res 2015;5:217-21.
9. Siddheshwar S, Varpe P, Waghmare G, Wadghule P, Vikhe D. Optimization techniques: a future of pharmaceutical product development. Int J Curr Trends Pharm Res 2014;2:491-3.
10. Schwartz J, Merck S, Dohme RL. Optimization techniques in product formulation. J Soc Cosmet Chem 1981;32:287-301.
11. Banker GS, Rhodes CT. Modern Pharmsceutics. 4thed. New York, Marcel Dekker, Inc; 2002.
12. Bolton S. Optimization techniques in pharmaceutical statistics. Practical and clinical Applications. 3rded. New York: Marcel Dekker; 1997.
13. Anthony NA. Pharmaceutical experimental design and interpretation. 2nd ed. Taylor and Francis Group; 2006.
14. Monica RP, Rao P. Preparation and evaluation of immediate release tablets of meroclopramide HCL using simplex centruoid mixture design. Int J Pharma Tech Res 2010;2:1105.
15. Lionberger RA, Lee SL, Lee L. Quality by design: concepts for ANDAs. Adv Appl Pharm Sci J 2008;10:268-76.
16. Nekkanti V, Muniyappan T, Karatgi P. Spray-drying process optimization for the manufacture of drug-cyclodextrin complex powder using the design of experiments. Drug Dev Ind Pharm 2009;35:9-29.
17. Patel MM, Amin AF. Design and optimization of the colon-targeted system of theophylline for chronotherapy of nocturnal asthma. J Pharm Sci 2011;100:1760-72.
18. Robert AL, Sau LL. Quality by design concepts for ANDA. Adv Appl Pharm Sci J 2008;10:268-76.
19. Ajay SB. Evaluation of different composition of noisome to optimize Acelofenac transdermal delivery. Asian J Pharm Sci 2010;5:87-95.
20. Guidance for Industry. Immediate release solid oral dosage form. Center for Drug evaluation and Res; 1995. p. 1-22.
21. Noushine B, Naghmeh H. Formulation and optimization of captopril sublingual tablet using D-Optimal design. Iranian J Pharm Res 2008;7:259-67.
22. Patel MM, Amin AF. Design and optimization of the colon-targeted system of theophylline for chronotherapy of nocturnal asthma. J Pharm Sci 2011;100:1760-72.
23. Lewis GA, Mathieu D. Pharmaceutical Experimental Design, New York, Marcel Dekker, Inc; 1999. p. 2, 80, 186, 487, 489.
24. Rani P, Veesam. Full factorial design in the formulation of lamotrigine suspension using locust bean gum. Int J Chem Sci 2013;11:751-60.
25. Kumar SR, Yagnesh SNT, Kumar GV. Optimization of ibuprofen fast dissolving tablets employing starch xanthate using 23factorial design. Int J Appl Pharm 2017;9:51-9.
26. Vaddemukkala Y, Syed M, Srinivasarao. A research article on optimization of olmesartan tablet formulation by 23 factorial design. Int J Res Pharm Nano Sci 2015;4:188-95.
27. Barhatei S, Husain M. Development of hydrophilic matrix tablet of carbamazepine using 33full factorial experimental designs. Int J Pharm Sci 2015;7:369-75.
28. Dash RN, Habibuddin M, Touseef H, Ramesh D. Design, optimization and evaluation of glipizide solid self-nano emulsifying drug delivery for enhanced solubility and dissolution. Saudi Pharm J 2015;23:528â€“40.
29. Matlhola K, Seru LK, Tshweu L, Bahadur I, Makgatho G, Balogun M. Formulation and optimization of eudragit RS PO-tenofovir nanocarriers using box-behnken experimental design. Hindawi Publishing Corporation Journal of Nanomaterials 2015:11. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2015/630690
30. Gopi G, Kannan K. Formulation development and optimization of nateglinide loaded ethyl cellulose nanoparticles by the box-behnken method. Int J Pharm Sci 2015;7:310-5.
31. Varshosaz J, Tavakoli N, Minayian M, Rahdari N. Applying the taguchi design for the optimized formulation of sustained release gliclazide chitosan beads: an in vitro/in vivo study. AAPS PharmSciTech 2009;101:9191-8.
32. Rahali Y, Wafaa E, Wartiti EM, Alaoui EY, Bouatia M, Laatiris A, et al. Solubilization of celecoxib using organic cosolvent and nonionic surfactants optimized by experimental design. Int J Pharm Sci 2016;8:161-6.
33. Khade MM, Sunil JP. Quality by design (QBD)-a quality improvement perspective for pharmaceutical development. Int J Pharm Res Bio Sci 2013;2:144-66.
34. Sumit K, Shikha T. A quantitative approach for pharmaceutical quality by design patterns. Invention Rapid Pharm Anal Quality Assurance 2012;4:1-8.
35. Naresh A. Formulation and evaluation of lansoprazole noisome. J Pharm Sci 2008;1:561-3.
36. Ranga S, Jaimini M, Sharma SK, Chauhan BS. A review on the design of experiments (DE). Int J Pharm Chem Sci 2014;3:216-24.
37. Hardik P, Shardda P, Bhavna P. A comprehensive review on quality by design (QbD) in pharmaceuticals. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2013;21:223-36.
38. Singh BM, Dahiya, Saharan V, Ahuja N. Optimizing drug delivery systems using "design of experiments. Part II: retrospect and prospects. Crit Rev Ther Drug Carrier Syst 2005;22:215-92.
39. Singh B, Ahuja N. Development of controlled release buccoadhesive hydrophilic matrices of diltiazem hydrochloride: optimization of bioadhesion, dissolution and diffusion parameters. Drug Dev Ind Pharm 2002;28:431-42.
40. Siddheshwar S, Varpe P, Waghmare G, Wadghule P, Vikhe D. Optimisation techniques: a future of pharmaceutical product development. Int J Curr Trends Pharm Res 2014;2:491-3.
41. Ladani R, Patel M, Patel R, Bhatt TV. Modern optimisation techniques in the field of pharmacy. Res J Pharm Bio Chem Sci 2010;1:148.
42. Reha S, Chodankar, Dev A. Optimisaton techniques: a futuristic approach for formulating and processing of pharmaceuticals. Ind J Pharm Bio Res 2016;4:32-40.