VALIDATED HPLC-UV METHOD FOR SIMULTANEOUS ESTIMATION OF LINAGLIPTIN AND EMPAGLIFLOZIN IN HUMAN PLASMA
Objective: The proposed method aims to develop a simple, rapid, sensitive and validated isocratic reversed-phase high-performance liquid chromatography (RP-HPLC) method for the simultaneous estimation of linagliptin and empagliflozin in human plasma.
Methods: Chromatography was performed on waters 2695 HPLC equipped with a quaternary pump. The separation was carried using discovery C18 (250Ã—4.6Ã—5) column, buffer: acetonitrile (68:32) as mobile phase with 1 ml/min flow rate. The analyte detection was monitored at 218 nm.
Results: Retention time of linagliptin, empagliflozin and internal standard was found at 6.421, 4.696, and 4.074 min respectively. The peaks were found to be free of interference. The method is validated over a dynamic linear range of 0.01-10.0 Âµg/ml for both drugs with a correlation coefficient of 0.998. The precision and accuracy of samples of six replicate measurements at lower limit of quantification (LLOQ) level were within the limit. The analytes were found to be stable in human plasma at-28 Â°C for 37 d.
Conclusion: The stability, sensitivity, specificity and reproducibility of this method make it suitable for the determination of linagliptin and empagliflozin in human plasma.
2. http://docs.boehringeringelheim.com/Prescribing%20Information/PIs/Glyxambi/Glyxambi.pdf. [Last accessed on 05 Dec 2017]
3. Raedler LA. Glyxambi (Empagliflozin/linagliptin): a dual-acting oral medication approved for the treatment of patients with type 2 diabetes. Am Health Drug Benefits 2015;8:171-5.
4. National Center for Biotechnology Information. PubChem Compound Database; CID=10096344. Available from: https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/10096344. [Last accessed on 04 Apr 2017].
5. https://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB08882. [Last accessed on 05 Dec 2017].
6. Ndefo UA, Anidiobi NO, Basheer E, Eaton AT. Empagliflozin (Jardiance): a novel SGLT2 Inhibitor for the treatment of type-2 diabetes. P T 2015;40:364-8.
7. National Center for Biotechnology Information. PubChem Compound Database; CID=11949646. Available from: https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/11949646. [Last accessed on 05 Apr 2017]
8. Bassam MA. UPLC simultaneous determination of empagliflozin, linagliptin and metformin new combinations. RSC Adv 2015;5:95703-9.
9. Madhusudhan P, Radhakrishna MR, Devanna N. RP-HPLC method development and validation for simultaneous determination of linagliptin and empagliflozin in tablet dosage form. IARJSET 2015;2:95-9.
10. Kavitha KY, Geetha G, Hariprasad R, Kaviarasu M. Development and validation of stability indicating RP-HPLC method for the simultaneous estimation of linagliptin and metformin in the pure and pharmaceutical dosage form. J Chem Pharm Res 2013;5:230-5.
11. Padmaja N, Veerabhadram G. Development and validation of analytical method for simultaneous estimation of Empagliflozin and Linagliptin in bulk drugs and combined dosage forms using UV-visible spectroscopy. Pharm Lett 2015;7:306-12.
12. Bassam MA. Development and validation of simple spectrophotometric and chemometric methods for simultaneous determination of empagliflozin and metformin: applied to the recently approved pharmaceutical formulation. Spectrochim Acta Part A 2016;168:118-22.
13. Maha FA, Omar AA, Miriam FA, Mariam MT. Pharmaceutical analysis of linagliptin and empagliflozin using LC-MS/MS. Pharma Chem 2016;8:186-9.
14. Guidance for Industry. Bioanalytical Method Validation for human studies. U. S. Department of Health and Human Services Food and Drug Administration, Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER); 2013. p. 1â€“23.
15. Aruna G, Bharathi K, Kvsrg Prasad. Development and validation of bioanalytical HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of cilnidipine and nebivolol in human plasma. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9:253-9.
16. S Madhavi, A Prameela Rani. Bioanalytical method development and validation for the determination of sofosbuvir from human plasma. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9:35-41.
17. Tijare LK, Rangari NT, Mahajan UN. A review on bioanalytical method development and validation. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2016;9:6-10.