DEVELOPMENT AND VALIDATION OF UV-VIS SPECTROSCOPIC METHOD OF ASSAY OF CARBAMAZEPINE IN MICROPARTICLES
Objective: This study aimed to develop a new, rapid, robust, effective, inexpensive, and accurate UV-Vis method for the quantification analysis of carbamazepine (CBZ) in the carbamazepine-loaded microparticles.
Methods: CBZ was encapsulated in ethyl cellulose microparticles by a solvent evaporation method using polyvinyl alcohol (PVA) as a stabilizer. Methanol was used to dissolve CBZ followed by dilution with distilled water as diluent. CBZ drug, excipients, and microparticles were subjected to specificity, solution stability, linearity, precision and accuracy to confirm and ensure the validity of this method.
Results: The results showed no interference from the excipients in the selected wavelength 286 nm. It was exhibited linearity in the range 2-12 Î¼g/ml with R2 = 0.9992. CBZ solution was stable during 24 h. Accuracy and precision were within the accepted limits (100Â±2%). All results were in accordance to the ICH-Q2 guideline.
Conclusion: As a conclusion, CBZ could be quantified from loaded EC microparticles using UV-Vis spectrophotometer at 286 nm. Therefore, this method can be used for the quantification analysis of CBZ in CBZ-loaded microparticles can be utilized also as an alternative method to calculate CBZ in different dosage forms.
2. A Mehta. Ultraviolet-visible (UV-Vis) spectroscopy-derivation of beer-lambert law. Analytical Chemistry; 2012. Available form: pharmaxchange.info. [Last accessed on 20 Feb 2018]
3. W Kemp. Organic spectroscopy. Molecules 1991;71:11.
4. DG Watson. Pharmaceutical analysis E-book: a textbook for pharmacy students and pharmaceutical chemists, Elsevier Health Sciences; 2015.
5. L Kocsis, P Herman, A Eke. The modified beerâ€“lambert law revisited. Phys Med Biol 2006;515:N91.
6. A Sassaroli, S Fantini. Comment on the modified beerâ€“lambert law for scattering media. Phys Med Biol 2004;4914:N255.
7. R Paynter. Modification of the beerâ€“lambert equation for application to concentration gradients. Surf Interface Anal 1981;34:186-7.
8. D Richard, J Mycek, R Harvey, P Champe. Lippincott's illustrated reviews: pharmacology. Philadelphia 2006;3:413-5.
9. A. S. o. H.-S. P. Wolters kluwer health, cerner multum and micromedex from truven health, Carbamazepine; 2018. Available from: https://www.drugs.com/cdi/carbamazepine.html. [Last accessed on 20 Feb 2018].
10. Z Rezaei, B Hemmateenejad, S Khabnadideh, M Gorgin. Simultaneous spectrophotometric determination of carbamazepine and phenytoin in serum by PLS regression and comparison with HPLC. Talanta 2005;651:21-8.
11. A Serralheiro, G Alves, A Fortuna, M Rocha, A Falcao. First HPLCâ€“UV method for rapid and simultaneous quantification of phenobarbital, primidone, phenytoin, carbamazepine, carbamazepine-10, 11-epoxide, 10, 11-trans-dihydroxy-10, 11-dihydrocarbamazepine, lamotrigine, oxcarbazepine and licarbazepine in human plasma. J Chromatogr B 2013;925:1-9.
12. S Mennickent, R Fierro, M Vega, M de Diego, CG Godoy. Instrumental planar chromatographic method for determination of carbamazepine in human serum. J Sep Sci 2009;329:1454-8.
13. USP, Carbamazepine Extended-Release Tablets; 2016. p. 2917-21.
14. WJ Duncanson, T Lin, AR Abate, S Seiffert, RK Shah, DA Weitz. Microfluidic synthesis of advanced microparticles for encapsulation and controlled release. Lab Chip 2012;1212:2135-45.
15. G Rassu, E Gavini, G Spada, P Giunchedi, S Marceddu. Ketoprofen spray-dried microspheres based on EudragitÂ® RS and RL: study of the manufacturing parameters. Drug Dev Ind Pharm 2008;3411:1178-87.
16. TW Chung, YY Huang, YZ Liu. Effects of the rate of solvent evaporation on the characteristics of drug loaded PLLA and PDLLA microspheres. Int J Pharm 2001;2122:161-9.
17. M Bakshi, S Singh. Development of validated stability-indicating assay methodsâ€”critical review. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2002;286:1011-40.
18. ISV Aditya, A Kulkarni. Flow injection analysis: an overview. J Crit Rev 2015;2:19-24.
19. L Wang, M Asgharnejad. Second-derivative UV spectrometric determination of simvastatin in its tablet dosage form. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2000;216:1243-8.
20. Y Mehmood, A Tariq, U Jamshaid, M Jumshaid. UV-visible spectrophotometric method development and validation of assay of Iron sucrose injection. Int J Pure Appl Biosci 2015;32:41-53.
21. SJR Charu, P Pandya. Development and validation of stability indicating method rp-hplc methodof acotiamide. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2018;10:1-8.
22. NS Sukhbir Singh, Yash Paul Singla, Sandeep Arora. Development and validation of uv-spectrophotometric method for quantitative estimation of nefopam hydrochloride in polymethacrylate nanospheres. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8:414-9.
23. SV Kapakayala, G Mubeen, R Kimbahune. Reverse phase-high performance liquid chromatographic method for quantitation of epinastine hydrochloride in eye drops. Indo Am J Pharm Res 2013;39:7541-8.
24. SSS Hayam, M Lotfy. Recent development in ultraviolet spectrophotometry through the last decade (2006â€“2016): a review. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8:40-6.
25. SB Ashok Chakravarthy A, Praveen Kumar V. Method development and validation of ultraviolet-visible spectroscopic method for the estimation of hepatitis-c drugs-daclatasvir and sofosbuvir in active pharmaceutical ingredient form. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2016;9:61-6.
26. PS Kalpesh, V Sonar, Anil Jadhav, Tushar Deshmukh, Swapnil Patil, Pallavi Murkute. Development and validation of uv spectroscopic method for estimation of lamivudine in tablet dosage form. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2017;9:86-9.
27. GC Gomes, HRN Salgado. Validation of UV spectrophotometric method for determination of lomefloxacin in pharmaceutical dosage form. Acta Farm Bonaerense 2005;243:406.
28. M Barzegar Jalali, H Valizadeh, S Dastmalchi, M Siahi Shadbad, A Barzegar-Jalali, et al. Enhancing dissolution rate of carbamazepine via cogrinding with crospovidone and hydroxypropyl-methylcellulose. Int J Phytother Res 2010;6:159-65.
29. A Biswas, J Sahoo, M Chatli. A simple UV-Vis spectro-photometric method for determination of Î²-carotene content in raw carrot, sweet potato and supplemented chicken meat nuggets. LWT-Food Sci Technol 2011;448:1809-13.
30. OC Lastra, IG Lemus, HJ Sanchez, RF Perez. Development and validation of an UV derivative spectrophotometric determination of losartan potassium in tablets. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2003;332:175-80.
31. VP Shah, KK Midha, JW Findlay, HM Hill, JD Hulse, IJ McGilveray, et al. Bioanalytical method validation-a revisit with a decade of progress. Pharm Res 2000;1712:1551-7.
32. G Carr, J Wahlich. A practical approach to method validation in pharmaceutical analysis. J Pharm Biomed Anal 1990;88-12:613-8.
33. AKS Manish Kumar, Ram Singh Bishnoi, CP Jain. Development of uv spectrophotometric method for the determination of benidipine hydrochloride by using quality by design (qbd) approach. Int J Appl Pharm 2018;10:92-7.
34. FT Peters, OH Drummer, F Musshoff. Validation of new methods. Forensic Sci Int 2007;1652:216-24.
35. J Ermer, JHM Miller. Method validation in pharmaceutical analysis: a guide to best practice. John Wiley and Sons; 2006.
36. P Pathade, M Imran, V Bairagi, Y Ahire. Development and validation of stability indicating UV spectrophotometric method for the estimation of sitagliptin phosphate in bulk and tablet dosage form. J Pharm Res 2011;43:871-3.