ENHANCEMENT OF DISSOLUTION AND STABILITY OF CANDESARTAN CILEXETIL–LOADED SILICA POLYMERS
Objective: To prepare stable amorphous solid dispersions of candesartan cilexetil (CAN) with different types of silica, including non-porous (aerosil 200) and porous silica (sylysia 350) using the spray-drying method.
Methods: various ratios of candesartan cilexetil (CAN) were spray dried with aerosil and sylysia. Powder x-ray diffraction (x-ray) differential scanning calorimetry (DSC), SEM were used to characterize the spray dried powders in addition to dissolution and stability studies.
Results: X-ray results showed that the spray–dried (CAN) in the prepared solid dispersion were in amorphous form irrespective of the used silica. In (DSC) analysis, the melting peak of spray-dried (CAN-silica) solid dispersion disappeared. Dissolution property of (CAN) was remarkably improved by formulating with silica particles. In comparing the effect of the type of the silica particles, the dissolution rate of (CAN) from the spray-dried (CAN-sylysia) was faster than that (CAN-aerosil 200) irrespective of the drug content. It was also shown that the spray-dried formulation with silica did not recrystallize when storing at severe storage conditions (40 °C, 75% RH) for three months, while spray-dried (CAN) without silica easily re-crystallized under the same conditions.
Conclusion: Spray drying of (CAN) with sylysia 350 is an efficient method to enhance the dissolution and stability of the drug.
2. Shaikh SM, AM Avachat. Enhancement of solubility and permeability of candesartan cilexetil by using different pharmaceutical interventions. Curr Drug Delivery 2011; 8:346-53.
3. Noyes AA, WR Whitney. The rate of solution of the solid substance in their own solution. J Am Chem Soc 1897;19:930-4.
4. Al Omari, AA MM Al Omari, AA Badwan, KA Al-Souod. Effect of cyclodextrins on the solubility and stability of candesartan cilexetil in solution and solid state. J Pharm Biom Anal 2011;54:503-9.
5. Nekkanti V, P Karatgi, R Prabhu, R Pillai. Solid self-microemulsifying formulation for candesartan cilexetil. AAPS PharmSciTech 2010;11:9-17.
6. Abd Alhammid NS. Enhancement of the solubility and the dissolution rate of candesartan cilexetil using microsponge technology. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2018;11:385-90.
7. Shukla KJ Girish, O Abdel Wahab. Formulation and evaluation of oral self microemulsifying drug delivery system of candesartan cilexetil. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8:238-43.
8. Zhang, Z, F Gao, H Bu, J Xiao, Y Li. Solid lipid nanoparticles loading candesartan cilexetil enhance oral bioavailability: in vitro characteristics and absorption mechanism in rats. Nanomedicine 2012;8:740-7.
9. Mahajan A, S Kaur, S Kaur. Design, formulation, and characterization of stearic acid-based solid lipid nanoparticles of candesartan cilexetil to augment its oral bioavailability. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2018;11:7.
10. Surampalli G, BK Nanjwade, PA Patil, R Chilla. Novel tablet formulation of amorphous candesartan cilexetil solid dispersions involving p-gp inhibition for optimal drug delivery: in vitro and in vivo evaluation. Drug Delivery 2016;23:2124-38.
11. Amin ML. P-glycoprotein inhibition for optimal drug delivery. Drug Target Insights 2013;7:27-34.
12. Babu NJ, A Nangia. Solubility advantage of amorphous drugs and pharmaceutical cocrystals..Cryst Growth Des 2011; 11:2662-79.
13. Raghad AN, EZ Hind. Enhancement of candesartan cilexetil dissolution rate by using different methods. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2015;8:320-6.
14. Hancock BC, G Zografi. Characteristics and significance of the amorphous state in pharmaceutical systems. J Pharm Sci 1997;86:1-12.
15. Yu L. Amorphous pharmaceutical solids: preparation, characterization and stabilization. Adv Drug Delivery Rev 2001;48:27-42.
16. Craig DQM, PG Royall, VL Kett, ML Hopton. The relevance of the amorphous state to pharmaceutical dosage forms: glassy drugs and freeze-dried systems. Int J Pharm 1999;179:179-207.
17. Prakash K, R Jieun, K Hyeongmin, K ksoo, T Jeong, K Hyunil, et al. Pharmaceutical particle technologies: an approach to improve drug solubility, dissolution and bioavailability. Asian J Pharm Sci 2015;10:363-458.
18. Lim AW, K Löbmann, H Grohganz, T Rades, N Chieng. Investigation of physical properties and stability of indomethacin–cimetidine and naproxen–cimetidine co-amorphous systems prepared by quench cooling, coprecipitation and ball milling. J Pharm Pharmacol 2016;68:36-45.
19. Monkhouse DC, JL Lach. Use of adsorbents in the enhancement of drug dissolution. J Pharm Sci 1972;61:1430-5.
20. Takeuchi H. Solid dispersion particles of amorphous indomethacin with fine porous silica particles by using the spray-drying method. Int J Pharm 2005;293:155-64.
21. Planinsek O, B Kovacic, F Vrecer. Carvedilol dissolution improvement by preparation of solid dispersions with porous silica. Int J Pharm 2011;406:41-8.
22. Detroja C, S Chavhan, K Sawant. Enhanced antihypertensive activity of candesartan cilexetil nanosuspension: formulation, characterization and pharmacodynamic study. Sci Pharm 2011;79:635-51.
23. Takeuchi H, S Nagira, H Yamamoto, Y Kawashima. Solid dispersion particles of tolbutamide prepared with fine silica particles by the spray-drying method. Powder Technol 2004;141:187-95.
24. Bergna HE, WO Roberts. Colloidal silica: fundamentals and applications. CRC Press; 2005. p. 944.
25. Miura H, M Kanebako, H Shirai, H Nakao, T Inagi, K Terada. Enhancement of dissolution rate and oral absorption of a poorly water-soluble drug, k-832, by adsorption onto porous silica using supercritical carbon dioxide. Eur J Pharm Biopharm 2010;76:215-21.
26. United states pharmacopoeia. 31 ed. Rockville, USA: United States Pharmacopoeial Convention Inc; 2007.
27. Takeuchi H, T Handa, Y Kawashima. Spherical solid dispersion containing amorphous tolbutamide embedded in enteric coating polymers or colloidal silica prepared by spray-drying technique. Chem Pharm Bull 1987;35:3800-6.
28. Watanabe T, S Hasegawa, N Wakiyama, A Kusai, M Senna. Comparison between polyvinylpyrrolidone and silica nanoparticles as carriers for indomethacin in a solid state dispersion. Int J Pharm 2003;250:283-6.
29. Watanabe T, S Hasegawa, N Wakiyama, A Kusai, M Senna. Prediction of apparent equilibrium solubility of indomethacin compounded with silica by 13c solid-state nmr. Int J Pharm 2002;248:123-9.
30. Watanabe T, N Wakiyama, F Usui, M Ikeda, T Isobe, M Senna. Stability of amorphous indomethacin compounded with silica. Int J Pharm 2001;226:81-91.
31. Jondhale S, S Bhise, Y Pore. Physicochemical investigations and stability studies of amorphous gliclazide. AAPS PharmSciTech 2012;13:448-59.
32. Khanfar M, S Al-Nimry. Stabilization and amorphization of lovastatin using different types of silica. AAPS PharmSciTech 2017;18:2358-67.
33. Laitinen R, K Lobmann, CJ Strachan, H Grohganz, T Rades. Emerging trends in the stabilization of amorphous drugs. Int J Pharm 2013;453:65-79.