FORMULATION AND EVALUATION OF ALLOPURINOL LOADED CHITOSAN NANOPARTICLES
Objective: The objective of the present investigation was to fabricate and characterize allopurinol loaded chitosan nanoparticles (A-CNPs) for sustained release of drug.
Methods: The allopurinol loaded chitosan nanoparticles were successfully prepared by employing the ionotropic gelation method. Further, particle size (PS), polydispersity index (PDI), zeta potential (ZP), Differential Scanning Calorimetry (DSC), entrapment efficiency (EE), Transmission Electron Microscopy (TEM), in vitro drug release, X-Ray Diffraction (XRD) and Fourier transform infrared (FTIR) were used for evaluating formulated A-CNPs
Results: A-CNPs was successfully prepared and the particle size, polydispersity index, ZP and entrapment efficiency were found to be 375.3±10.1 nm, 0.362±0.01 and 32.5±2.7 mV and 52.56±0.10% respectively. In vitro release profile of A-CNPs showed sustained release and Higuchi model was found to be best fit for drug release kinetics. FTIR study depicted no chemical interaction between pure drug allopurinol (AL) and other excipients.
Conclusion: The sustained release formulation of allopurinol was successfully prepared using HMW chitosan and evaluated for different parameters.
2. Ngo TC, Assimos DG. Uric acid nephrolithiasis: recent progress and future directions. Rev Urol 2007;9:17.
3. De Vries A, Frank M, Liberman UA, Sperling O. Allopurinol in the prophylaxis of uric acid stones. Ann Rheum Dis 1966;25:691.
4. Younis MK, Tareq AZ, Kamal IM. Optimization of swelling, drug loading and release from natural polymer hydrogels. IOP Conf Ser: Mater Sci Eng 2018;454. Doi:10.1088/1757-899X/454/ 1/012017.
5. Mohanraj VJ, Chen Y. Nanoparticles-a review. Trop J Pharm Res 2006;5:561-73.
6. Nikam AP, Mukesh PR, Chaudhary SP. Nanoparticles–an overview. Int J Res Dev Pharm Life Sci 2014;3:1121-7.
7. Priya J, Naha A, Dhoot AS, Xalxo N. A review on polymeric nanoparticles: A promising novel drug delivery system. J Global Pharma Technol 2018;10:10-7.
8. Agnihotri SA, Mallikarjuna NN, Aminabhavi TM. Recent advances on chitosan-based micro-and nanoparticles in drug delivery. J Controlled Release 2004;100:5-28.
9. Nagpal K, Singh SK, Mishra DN. Formulation, optimization, in vivo pharmacokinetic, behavioral and biochemical estimations of minocycline loaded chitosan nanoparticles for enhanced brain uptake. Chem Pharm Bull 2013;61:258-72.
10. Patel BK, Parikh RH, Aboti PS. Development of oral sustained release rifampicin loaded chitosan nanoparticles by design of an experiment. J Drug Delivery 2013. Doi:10.1155/2013/ 370938.
11. Kandav G, Singh SK. Review of nanoemulsion formulation and characterization techniques. Indian J Pharm Sci 2018;80:781-9.
12. Manimekalai P, Dhanalakshmi R, Manavalan R. Preparation and characterization of ceftiaxone sodium encapsulated chitosan nanoparticles. Int J Appl Pharm 2017;9:10-5.
13. Girotra P, Thakur A, Kumar A, Singh SK. Identification of multi-targeted anti-migraine potential of nystatin and development of its brain targeted chitosan nanoformulation. Int J Biol Macromol 2017;96:687-96.
14. Hussain Z, Sahudin S. Preparation, characterisation and colloidal stability of chitosan-tripolyphosphate nanoparticles: optimisation of formulation and process parameters. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8:297-308.
15. Hansraj GP, Singh SK, Kumar P. Sumatriptan succinate loaded chitosan solid lipid nanoparticles for enhanced anti-migraine potential. Int J Biol Macromol 2015;81:467-76.
16. Sreelola VU, Sailaja AK, Pharmacy M. Preparation and characterisation of ibuprofen-loaded polymeric nanoparticles by a solvent evaporation technique. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:416-21.
17. Girotra P, Singh SK. A comparative study of orally delivered PBCA and ApoE coupled BSA nanoparticles for brain targeting of sumatriptan succinate in the therapeutic management of migraine. Pharm Res 2016;33:1682-95.
18. Tayal K, Kandav G, Girotra P, Singh SK. Formulation and evaluation of chitosan-coated magnetic nanoparticles of Amoxicillin trihydrate. Pharm Lett 2015;7:241-51.
19. Shende P, Yadava SK, Patil PS. Development and characterization of chitosan nanoparticles containing erthromycin estolate. Int J Pharm Appl 2014;5:1-7.
20. Changdeo JS, Vinod M, Shankar KB, Rajaram CA. Physicochemical characterization and solubility enhancement studies of allopurinol solid dispersions. Braz J Pharm Sci 2011;47:513-23.
21. Gierszewska Dru?ynska M, Ostrowska Czubenko J. The effect of ionic crosslinking on thermal properties of hydrogel chitosan membranes. Prog Chem Appl Chitin Its Deriv; 2010. p. 25-32.
22. Hanafy AS, Farid RM, ElGamal SS. Complexation as an approach to entrap cationic drugs into cationic nanoparticles administered intranasally for Alzheimer's disease management: preparation and detection in rat brain. Drug Dev Ind Pharm 2015;41:2055-68.
23. Shelake SS, Patil SV, PATIL SS, Sangave P. Formulation and evaluation of fenofibrate-loaded nanoparticles by precipitation method. Indian J Pharm Sci 2018;80:420-7.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.