AN INNOVATIVE WAY FOR EXTRACTION OF ESSENTIAL OIL COMPONENTS FROM PIMPINELLA ANISUM L. FRUITS
Objective: The aim of this article was to test the hypothesis about the possibility for extraction of essential oil components from the plant raw material (PRM) by the example of Pimpinella anisum L. fruits with two different perfluoro organic solvents, Novec 1230 and Novec 7100.
Methods: For the studies, we used Pimpinella anisum L. fruits ground to obtain particle size between 0.1 and 0.5 mm. The study of qualitative and quantitative content of the extracts was carried out by the following method: simple maceration, PRM: extractant ratio 1:10 w/v; and circulation method for extraction using Soxhlet extractor, PRM: extractant ratio 1:5 w/v. Qualitative analysis of extracts was carried out by gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (GC-MS) method. Quantitative analysis of trans-anethole in the extracts was carried out by reverse phase high-performance liquid chromatography (RP HPLC) method.
Results: The largest yield of anethole was observed for n-hexane, 84±4 %, and for Novec 7100, 81±4 %. In case of Novec 1230 solvent, the yield of anethole was noted to be three times less, 32±2 %. The yield of anethole under the conditions of solvents (Novec 1230 and Novec 7100) circulation method was up to 94±5 % within two hours.
Conclusion: Adequacy of the working hypothesis about the possibility for extraction of essential oil components from Pimpinella anisum L. fruits by two different perfluoro organic solvents, Novec 1230 and Novec 7100, was verified experimentally. In the context of the solvents tested, it was found that the level of fluorination of the solvent’s molecule had a great influence on its extraction properties in regard to anethole and vegetable oil.
2. Rodrigues VM, Rosa PTV, Marques MOM, Petenate AJ, Meireles MAA. Supercritical extraction of essential oil from aniseed (Pimpinella anisum L.) using CO2: solubility, kinetics, and composition data. J Agric Food Chem 2003;51:1518–23.
3. Dowdle PA, Merseyside SSH, Corr S, Cheshire A, Harris H, Cheshire W. Solvent extraction process. Patent US 2004/ 0105899 A1. A61K 35/78; 2004.
4. Mukhopadhyay M. Natural extracts using supercritical carbon dioxide. 1st ed. Boca Raton: CRC Press; 2000.
5. Santos DT, Meireles MAA. Extraction of volatile oils by supercritical fluid extraction: patent survey. Recent Patents Eng 2011;5:17-22.
6. Georgievskiy VP, Konev FA. Technology and standardization of drugs: a collection of research papers. Kharkov: LLC “RIREG”; 2000.
7. Lemaire B, Mompon B, Surbled I, Surbled M. Method for fractionating essential oils using at least fluorinated solvent. Patent EP 1307533B1. C11B9/025; 2000.
8. Lemaire B, Surbled M, Zwegers J, Mompon B. Method for extracting and fractionating fats with solvent, using at least a hydrofluoroether. Patent US 6673952 B2. C11B 1/00; 2004.
9. Dournel P, Surbled M, Mompon B. Process for separating out at least one organic compound. Patent US 2006/0182689 A1. A61L 9/04, A61K 8/00, C07C 405/00, C07J 9/00, C07C 61/06; 2006.
10. Flick EW. editor. Industrial solvents handbook. 5th ed. Westwood, New Jersey: Noyes data corporation; 1998.
11. Tuma P, Tousignant L. Reducing emissions of PFC heat transfer fluids. 3M. Specialty Materials. St. Paul: 3M; 2002.
12. Barabanov VG, Blinova OV, Zotikov VS, Lizgunov SA, Orlov AP, Orlov GD, et al. Alternative ozone safe propellants, freons, foaming agent, solvents, and fire-extinguishing agents. Moscow; 2002.
13. Isikava NI. editor. New in the technology of fluorinated compounds. Moscow: Mir; 1984.
14. Popova NV, Litvinenko VI, Kucanjan AS. Medicinal plants of the world: Encyclopedic Handbook. Kharkov: Disa Plus; 2016.
15. El-hodairy FA. Neuroprotective effects of Pimpinella anisum on normal and diabetic rats. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:9-12.
16. Gupta D, Girija. Evaluation of in vitro antioxidant and antimicrobial activities of various spices of Indian origin. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;8:137-41.
17. European Pharmacopoeia. 8th ed. Strasbourg: European Directorate for the Quality of Medicines and HealthCare; 2014.
18. Zhilyakova ET, Novikov OO, Pisarev DI, Malyutina AY, Boyko NN. Studying the polyphenolic structure of Laurus Nobilis L. leaves. Indo Am J Pharm Sci 2017;4:3066-74.
19. Tuan DQ, Ilangantileket SG. Liquid CO2 extraction of essential oil from Star anise fruits (Illicium verum H.). J Food Eng 1997;31:47-57.
20. Kasianov GI, Pekhov AV, Taran AA. Natural food flavors–CO2 extracts. Moscow: Food industries; 1978.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.