STABILITY INDICATING RP-HPLC ASSAY OF HYDROCODONE AND IBUPROFEN IN TABLETS
HYDROCODONE AND IBUPROFEN ANALYSIS
Objective: The combination of hydrocodone and ibuprofen is prescribed to temporarily relieve severe pain. A new selective, precise and accurate stability indicating reverse phase high performance liquid chromatography (RP-HPLC) technique was developed for identification and estimation of hydrocodone and ibuprofen in tablets.
Methods: The analysis of hydrocodone and ibuprofen was executed on phase Zodiac C18 (250 × 4.6 mm, 5 μm) column with sodium dihydrogen phosphate (0.1M, pH5.0) and methanol (60:40, v: v) as a mobile phase with a flow rate of 1.0 ml/min. The detection and measurement was done at 234 nm. The stability of hydrocodone and ibuprofen was examined under different conditions recommended by ICH, including alkaline, acidic, neutral, oxidative, photolytic and thermal.
Results: Hydrocodone and ibuprofen are eluted at 4.019 min and 4.999 min, respectively. The assay method was linear (range: 3.75-11.25 µg/ml and 100-300 μg/ml) with R2values of 0.9996 and 0.9999 for hydrocodone and ibuprofen, respectively. Method was accurate (recovery: 99.65% and 99.37% for hydrocodone and ibuprofen, respectively), precise (RSD: 0.262% and 0.261% for hydrocodone and ibuprofen, respectively), selective and robust. In degradation studies, peaks of degradants did not interfere with the peaks of hydrocodone and ibuprofen. This validated method was applied to assay the content of hydrocodone and ibuprofen in tablets.
Conclusion: This method can be opted in the routine quality control test of fixed dose tablet combination comprising of hydrocodone and ibuprofen.
2. Dhillon S. Hydrocodone bitartrate ER (Hysingla® ER): a review in chronic pain. Clin Drug Investig 2016;36:969-80.
3. Donald CB. Cough suppressant and pharmacologic protussive therapy. ACCP evidence-based clinical practice guidelines. Chest 2006;129(1 Suppl):238S–49S.
4. Hydrocodone, Drugbank. Available from: https://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB00956. [Last accessed on 19 Feb 2019]
5. Hydrocodone, Pubchem. Open chemistry data base. Available from: https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/hydrocodone. [Last accessed on 19 Feb 2019]
6. Rainsford KD. Ibuprofen: pharmacology, efficacy and safety. Inflammopharmacology 2009;17:275-342.
7. de Martino M, Chiarugi A, Boner A, Montini G, De' Angelis GL. Working towards an appropriate use of ibuprofen in children: an evidence-based appraisal. Drugs 2017;77:1295-311.
8. Bushra R, Aslam N. An overview of clinical pharmacology of Ibuprofen. Oman Med J 2010;25:155-66.
9. Ibuprofen, Drugbank. Available from: https://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB01050#reference-L4614. [Last accessed on 22 Feb 2019]
10. Ibuprofen, Pubchem, Open chemistry data base. Available from: https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/ibuprofen#section=Top. [Last accessed on 22 Feb 2019]
11. Kumaresan C. S+ibuprofen (dexibuprofen): thesuperiornonsteroidalanti¬inflammatory agents for development of pharmaceuticals. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2010;2:1-3.
12. Kim HJ, Lee YH, Im SA, Kim K, Lee CK. Cyclooxygenase inhibitors, aspirin and ibuprofen, inhibit MHC-restricted antigen presentation in dendritic cells. Immune Network 2010;10:92-8.
13. Orlando BJ, Lucido MJ, Malkowski MG. The structure of ibuprofen bound to cyclooxygenase-2. J Struct Biol 2014;189:62-6.
14. Palangio M, Damask MJ, Morris E, Doyle RT Jr, Jiang JG, Landau CJ, et al. Combination hydrocodone and ibuprofen versus combination codeine and acetaminophen for the treatment of chronic pain. Clin Ther 2000;22:879-92.
15. Palangio M, Wideman GL, Keffer M, Landau CJ, Morris E, Doyle RT Jr, et al. Combination hydrocodone and ibuprofen versus combination oxycodone and acetaminophen in the treatment of postoperative obstetric or gynecologic pain. Clin Ther 2000;22:600-12.
16. International Conference on Harmonization, Stability testing of new drug substances and products (Q1AR2), in Proceedings of the International Conference on Harmonization, Geneva, Switzerland; 2003.
17. Mistry V, Mishra R. Simultaneous estimation, validation, and forced degradation studies of betahistine dihydrochloride and domperidone in a pharmaceutical dosage form using RP-HPLC method. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2018;11:125-9.
18. International Conference on Harmonization of Technical Requirements for Registration of Pharmaceuticals for Human Use, ICH Harmonized Tripartite Guideline. Validation of Analytical Procedures: Text and Methodology Q2(R1), ICH, Geneva, Switzerland; 2005.
19. Sharma S, Goyal S, Chauhan K. A review on analytical method development and validation. Int J Appl Pharm 2018;10:8-15.
20. Hemant KJ, Umakant SJ. Development and validation of RP-HPLC method for estimation of darunavir ethanolate in bulk and tablets. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:386-9.
21. Ravichandran V, Shalini S, Sundaram KM, Rajak H. Validation of analytical methods-strategies and importance. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2010;2:18-22.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.